Eagles were "really impressed with Arthur Smith" - article from last night (granted from BleedingGreenNation :) )

granted, this is from "bleeding green nation".....written at 11:24pm last night.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2021/1/14/22232243/eagles-arthur-smith-interview-nfl-news-philadelphia-tennessee-titans-offensive-coordinator-coach-bgn

references a tweet from "Derrick Gunn" - who looks like some type of reporter (followed Joe Schad, ProFootballTalk and Adam Caplan)

Report: Eagles were “really impressed” with Arthur Smith

Titans offensive coordinator apparently made a good impression on Philadelphia’s brass.

By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton  Jan 14, 2021, 11:24pm EST 

NFL: Tennesse Titans-Training CampThe Tennessean-USA TODAY NETWORK

The Philadelphia Eagles interviewed Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator Arthur Smith for their head coaching vacancy on Thursday evening.

And the Eagles were “really impressed” with Smith, according to Derrick Gunn.

It’s probably more meaningful that this report is coming from a plugged-in local guy like Gunn as opposed to a national reporter. The latter source likely would’ve originated from an agent trying to make his client more marketable. That Gunn is reporting this about Smith makes me believe the Eagles are truly impressed.

Here’s what we previously wrote about Smith:

The 38-year-old has an interesting background.

He joined the Tennessee Titans as a defensive quality control coach under Mike Munchak’s original staff in 2011. From there, he survived multiple head coach changes (Ken Whisenhunt and Mike Mularkey) and gradually rose to replacing current Green Bay Packers head coach Matt LaFleur as the Titans’ play-calling offensive coordinator under Mike Vrabel in 2019.

Here’s how Smith’s offenses have ranked in DVOA:

2019 — 6th
2020 — 4th

Smith has overseen the unexpected resurgence of Ryan Tannehill’s career and perhaps the Eagles think he can be the one to help fix Carson Wentz. There is some question about how Smith will fare without the presence of a truly remarkable rushing talent in Derrick Henry.

As I said on the latest BGN Radio podcast episode, though, I don’t think it’s like Smith necessarily needs an elite workhorse running back in order to succeed. The presumption here is that he’s merely been coaching to his team’s strengths, which is what good coaches do!

If the Eagles truly want Smith, they might have to act fast. He’s already interviewed with the Atlanta Falcons twice and he’s set to meet with the Detroit Lions on Friday. He previously interviewed with the Los Angeles Chargers.

3 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

If the rumors of how they did Pederson are even close to true, I can't imagine any coach wanting to go there versus here.  The Lions are our competition for Smith, and he canceled his interview there.

Hope so. I will say, I'll feel reassured when he finally agrees to terms... until the deal is done you never really know.

But Fontenot/Smith is really the dream pairing, to me. I'd figured we'd have to choose between the two based on who was linked to who. I wouldn't be surprised if the second interview was sat in on by Fontenot.

8 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

If the rumors of how they did Pederson are even close to true, I can't imagine any coach wanting to go there versus here.  The Lions are our competition for Smith, and he canceled his interview there.

The Eagles are a hot mess. Their QB situation is worse than ours by far, and if I remember (which I'm not always good at) they are in worse shape than us with the cap. They'll never be able to dump Wentz. 

15 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Hope so. I will say, I'll feel reassured when he finally agrees to terms... until the deal is done you never really know.

But Fontenot/Smith is really the dream pairing, to me. I'd figured we'd have to choose between the two based on who was linked to who. I wouldn't be surprised if the second interview was sat in on by Fontenot.

Same here. Really looking forward to it. I don't really remember but how was the sentiment when Quinn got hired? Was it similar to Art? Or were people more skeptical of DQ?

21 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Well, if you are living in Tennessee - and a HC option is in Atlanta or Detroit?

2 minutes ago, booty-mane said:

Same here. Really looking forward to it. I don't really remember but how was the sentiment when Quinn got hired? Was it similar to Art? Or were people more skeptical of DQ?

A decent mix if I remember right. A lot of people wanted Todd Bowles or Rex Ryan. I was skeptical, but he won me over early in 2015...and then kinda took a **** on that trust and I got real sick of all his catch-phrases.

3 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

A decent mix if I remember right. A lot of people wanted Todd Bowles or Rex Ryan. I was skeptical, but he won me over early in 2015...and then kinda took a **** on that trust and I got real sick of all his catch-phrases.

He wasn't one of the "big" names so many casuals were very unhappy, but most other fans were pretty exited. I personally had an open mind and no strong opinion one way or the other. After his first year and the San Fran game where he kicked a FG from the 1 yard line with under two minutes left needing a TD I hated the man (as coach) ever since. Of course during 2016 he started winning me over but that was short lived. 

11 minutes ago, booty-mane said:

TATF was big on Rex Ryan and to a lesser extent Todd Bowles. Most started coming around to DQ and gave him a chance when it became apparent that he was Blanks guy all along. 

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

That seems like an easy choice - Falcons vs. Lions. Falcons are a better organization with a motivated owner.

3 hours ago, celtiksage said:

The Eagles are a hot mess. Their QB situation is worse than ours by far, and if I remember (which I'm not always good at) they are in worse shape than us with the cap. They'll never be able to dump Wentz. 

How is our QB situation in bad shape ? We have an All Pro, ex MVP, Franchise QB still in his prime years, that the Eagles and other teams would love to have.  Some short sighted fans want to needlessly draft an unproven rookie QB to sit on the bench .

3 hours ago, booty-mane said:

I would say the overall sentiment here was pretty bullish on DQ. He was considered one of, if not the top of the HC prospects available, being the DC of a legendary defense on a SB-winning team. I know I was relieved we waited until he was available to take him after the play-offs instead of just going with somebody else.

As far as Arthur Smith, I had him as my number one choice early on and I've seen many state they prefer him. That is a strong indication he's going to be an absolute Marion Campbell-level catastrophe, but that's my guy. lol. 😆

2 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

I would say the overall sentiment here was pretty bullish on DQ. He was considered one of, if not the top of the HC prospects available, being the DC of a legendary defense on a SB-winning team. I know I was relieved we waited until he was available to take him after the play-offs instead of just going with somebody else.

As far as Arthur Smith, I had him as my number one choice early on and I've seen many state they prefer him. That is a strong indication he's going to be an absolute Marion Campbell-level catastrophe, but that's my guy. lol. 😆

I've worried about that too.  But I go back to this -- I didn't know who Mike Smith was, I was against hiring Petrino, I was not really happy about Mora, etc.

I was, conversely, in favor of firing Reeves and Smith (and Quinn).  I regret the first two of those three opinions.  I think Reeves would have turned things around, and I think Smith was hampered by FO meddling and Dimitroff throwing him under the bus.

So basically, I have to look at where we are and decide who I like.  When the FO does something that make sense to me, I can assume it's the wrong thing, or I can wish they'd listened to me about Petrino.

41 minutes ago, Hard Case said:

How is our QB situation in bad shape ? We have an All Pro, ex MVP, Franchise QB still in his prime years, that the Eagles and other teams would love to have.  Some short sighted fans want to needlessly draft an unproven rookie QB to sit on the bench .

Depends on who you ask. He's not in his prime, that was like 5 years ago, but he's definitely top 12ish. Still has plenty in the tank, unless you ask most of TATF. I agree we roll with Ryan and Julio.

1 hour ago, celtiksage said:

Depends on who you ask. He's not in his prime, that was like 5 years ago, but he's definitely top 12ish. Still has plenty in the tank, unless you ask most of TATF. I agree we roll with Ryan and Julio.

I wonder what people would say about Brees if he swapped positions with Matty Ice. Having a consistent coach is so underrated and Matty Ice never had that yet he performs really well almost every year. Hope artie brings some much needed offensive consistency and continuity that he never had in the last few years of his contract

5 hours ago, g-dawg said:

granted, this is from "bleeding green nation".....written at 11:24pm last night.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2021/1/14/22232243/eagles-arthur-smith-interview-nfl-news-philadelphia-tennessee-titans-offensive-coordinator-coach-bgn

references a tweet from "Derrick Gunn" - who looks like some type of reporter (followed Joe Schad, ProFootballTalk and Adam Caplan)

Report: Eagles were “really impressed” with Arthur Smith

Titans offensive coordinator apparently made a good impression on Philadelphia’s brass.

By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton  Jan 14, 2021, 11:24pm EST 

NFL: Tennesse Titans-Training CampThe Tennessean-USA TODAY NETWORK

The Philadelphia Eagles interviewed Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator Arthur Smith for their head coaching vacancy on Thursday evening.

And the Eagles were “really impressed” with Smith, according to Derrick Gunn.

It’s probably more meaningful that this report is coming from a plugged-in local guy like Gunn as opposed to a national reporter. The latter source likely would’ve originated from an agent trying to make his client more marketable. That Gunn is reporting this about Smith makes me believe the Eagles are truly impressed.

Here’s what we previously wrote about Smith:

The 38-year-old has an interesting background.

He joined the Tennessee Titans as a defensive quality control coach under Mike Munchak’s original staff in 2011. From there, he survived multiple head coach changes (Ken Whisenhunt and Mike Mularkey) and gradually rose to replacing current Green Bay Packers head coach Matt LaFleur as the Titans’ play-calling offensive coordinator under Mike Vrabel in 2019.

Here’s how Smith’s offenses have ranked in DVOA:

2019 — 6th
2020 — 4th

Smith has overseen the unexpected resurgence of Ryan Tannehill’s career and perhaps the Eagles think he can be the one to help fix Carson Wentz. There is some question about how Smith will fare without the presence of a truly remarkable rushing talent in Derrick Henry.

As I said on the latest BGN Radio podcast episode, though, I don’t think it’s like Smith necessarily needs an elite workhorse running back in order to succeed. The presumption here is that he’s merely been coaching to his team’s strengths, which is what good coaches do!

If the Eagles truly want Smith, they might have to act fast. He’s already interviewed with the Atlanta Falcons twice and he’s set to meet with the Detroit Lions on Friday. He previously interviewed with the Los Angeles Chargers.

$50m over the cap. A team in desperate need of talent. Kelcey contemplating retirement. Ertz gone.  And a quarterback controversy to the high heavens... Why in God's name would he want to choose that team? 

8 minutes ago, joeyg2033 said:

$50m over the cap. A team in desperate need of talent. Kelcey contemplating retirement. Ertz gone.  And a quarterback controversy to the high heavens... Why in God's name would he want to choose that team? 

maybe he likes the color green?

15 minutes ago, joeyg2033 said:

I don't think he does. He also interviewed with the Chargers. That’s probably what he's waiting on to develop.