Jump to content

Is Wade Phillips Communicating With Falcons Via Twitter


Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, slider said:

He burned out after his physical problems popped up. The emotional coach everybody loved went away and he became as docile as DQ on the sidelines.

Yeah, he was never the same after his heart problems. He was the right hire, and we were right to move on from him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Wardog357 said:

Mike Smith told a lie! Pressure is very important too.... but sacks are never over rated.

You waste a down for the other teams offense, take some momentum away, make their QB nervous, and set them back about 6-7 yards.  Mike Smith was right.  What is any of that worth? 

I prefer to trick other teams into overconfidence by allowing them to score touchdowns.  That makes them soft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is why I say sacks are overrated. We’ve all seen Matt get sacked 8 times and we still won the game. He’s had multiple big sack games and still won. Derrick Brooks set the single game sack record...IN A LOSS!! 
 

I love sacks like the next fan but unless it’s a 3rd down sack good qb’s will convert a first or second down sack. Brady does it all the time. Brees does it all the time. Matt does it all the time. 
 

what good qb’s hate is getting hit. They’ll take sacks all day long but those furious hits all day gets them rattled. Then they get jumpy. Then the mistakes happen. Then the picks. 
 

ive seen wade phillips defenses rack up sacks and still lose games. Because the sack that was NEEDED wasn’t happening. 3rd down sacks. And sometimes living by the blitz bites you in the @ss. 
 

That said yes I want us to get the QB on the ground. Don’t think I don’t want 70 sacks. I do. But 70 sacks don’t matter if it’s a bunch of 1st and 2nd down sacks. I remember we were sacking the heck out of Kurt Warner. And this was wade phillips. Then they went max protect and started lining Faulk out wide and proceeded to rip the defense a new one. 
 

So when I hear sacks are overrated I’m thinking the non important sacks. Early down sacks. Cause a good qb will inch those yards back and get into a 3rd and fair. OR get it all back in one chunk. Our own qb does it as much flak as he gets on the board. So whoever the DC is yes get the QB on the ground 70 times please 🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾
But make sure 50 of them were on 3rd down. And what I like more than sacks is strip sacks. Those are game changers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

This is why I say sacks are overrated. We’ve all seen Matt get sacked 8 times and we still won the game. He’s had multiple big sack games and still won. Derrick Brooks set the single game sack record...IN A LOSS!! 
 

I love sacks like the next fan but unless it’s a 3rd down sack good qb’s will convert a first or second down sack. Brady does it all the time. Brees does it all the time. Matt does it all the time. 
 

what good qb’s hate is getting hit. They’ll take sacks all day long but those furious hits all day gets them rattled. Then they get jumpy. Then the mistakes happen. Then the picks. 
 

ive seen wade phillips defenses rack up sacks and still lose games. Because the sack that was NEEDED wasn’t happening. 3rd down sacks. And sometimes living by the blitz bites you in the @ss. 
 

That said yes I want us to get the QB on the ground. Don’t think I don’t want 70 sacks. I do. But 70 sacks don’t matter if it’s a bunch of 1st and 2nd down sacks. I remember we were sacking the heck out of Kurt Warner. And this was wade phillips. Then they went max protect and started lining Faulk out wide and proceeded to rip the defense a new one. 
 

So when I hear sacks are overrated I’m thinking the non important sacks. Early down sacks. Cause a good qb will inch those yards back and get into a 3rd and fair. OR get it all back in one chunk. Our own qb does it as much flak as he gets on the board. So whoever the DC is yes get the QB on the ground 70 times please 🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾
But make sure 50 of them were on 3rd down. And what I like more than sacks is strip sacks. Those are game changers. 

I don't think we can get much but sacks.  Those furious hits are all going to be looked at.  And, the NFL rules committee is more likely to tighten the rules than loosen them. 

Hitting the QB too hard is a penalty.  (Who decides that?).  Hitting the QB too late is a penalty.  (Who decides it was too late and what about the defender who never had a chance to see the pass get off?).  Hitting the wrong area is a penalty.  It seems the smart play is to grab the QB somewhere between the shoulders and knees and pull him down.  I say we go for the genitals.  That is legal, right?

Seriously, a guy taught me this in basketball.  When you are guarding a tall guy who keeps shooting over you, jump up with your arms high when he shoots, hit the floor, bend over while moving forward, and make him think your head is going straight into pain central.  Of course, you do not actually ram his  privates with the top of your head, but it looks that way.  I was amazed how much this affected guys accuracy.  They really started thinking about it.

I think I have something here.  Someone call Flowery Branch. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

I sure hope so. He is the sack king. Would also mean a transition to a 3-4 which I am very much a fan of with our current personnel. 

We have the personnel to run a 3-4 defense? 

Grady Jarrett is undersized to play a Defensive end in the 3-4 and better utilized to be an Under tackle in 4-3 base. Deion Jones is undersized to be a Mike linebacker in 3-4 defense and not good enough of a pass rusher to be an outside line backer in the 3-4. Dante Fowler also isnt a good enough of a pass rusher. We also dont have a nose tackle 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

This is why I say sacks are overrated. We’ve all seen Matt get sacked 8 times and we still won the game. He’s had multiple big sack games and still won. Derrick Brooks set the single game sack record...IN A LOSS!! 
 

I love sacks like the next fan but unless it’s a 3rd down sack good qb’s will convert a first or second down sack. Brady does it all the time. Brees does it all the time. Matt does it all the time. 
 

what good qb’s hate is getting hit. They’ll take sacks all day long but those furious hits all day gets them rattled. Then they get jumpy. Then the mistakes happen. Then the picks. 
 

ive seen wade phillips defenses rack up sacks and still lose games. Because the sack that was NEEDED wasn’t happening. 3rd down sacks. And sometimes living by the blitz bites you in the @ss. 
 

That said yes I want us to get the QB on the ground. Don’t think I don’t want 70 sacks. I do. But 70 sacks don’t matter if it’s a bunch of 1st and 2nd down sacks. I remember we were sacking the heck out of Kurt Warner. And this was wade phillips. Then they went max protect and started lining Faulk out wide and proceeded to rip the defense a new one. 
 

So when I hear sacks are overrated I’m thinking the non important sacks. Early down sacks. Cause a good qb will inch those yards back and get into a 3rd and fair. OR get it all back in one chunk. Our own qb does it as much flak as he gets on the board. So whoever the DC is yes get the QB on the ground 70 times please 🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾
But make sure 50 of them were on 3rd down. And what I like more than sacks is strip sacks. Those are game changers. 

well duh, then you just sack him every down

problem solved

 

:ninja::lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, FalconsAirMiles said:

We have the personnel to run a 3-4 defense? 

Grady Jarrett is undersized to play a Defensive end in the 3-4 and better utilized to be an Under tackle in 4-3 base. Deion Jones is undersized to be a Mike linebacker in 3-4 defense and not good enough of a pass rusher to be an outside line backer in the 3-4. Dante Fowler also isnt a good enough of a pass rusher. We also dont have a nose tackle 

Grady Jarrett is short but he is plenty big enough enough to play DE in a 3-4. Davidson would man the other DE spot which would be more natural for him then them trying to force him to gain weight and play DT in a 4-3.

Deion Jones would play the same role as Lavonte David does for Tampa as a ILB. He did just fine. Foye would be our Devin White.

Fowler played edge with the Rams and had a career year. He is far better suited for a 3-4 than 4-3.

As you said we would need a NT and one more Edge in the front 7. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, FalconsAirMiles said:

We have the personnel to run a 3-4 defense? 

Grady Jarrett is undersized to play a Defensive end in the 3-4 and better utilized to be an Under tackle in 4-3 base. Deion Jones is undersized to be a Mike linebacker in 3-4 defense and not good enough of a pass rusher to be an outside line backer in the 3-4. Dante Fowler also isnt a good enough of a pass rusher. We also dont have a nose tackle 

You don't know what you're talking about. Look around the league at the modern 3-4. Aaron donald plays in a 3-4. Middle linebackers are getting smaller. The Bucs middle linebackers, roquan smith, Ravens 1st Rd pick linebacker from last year. And Fowler got his 11 sacks in a 3-4. We've ran some 3-4 principles last year. You are uninformed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, EastATL said:

You don't know what you're talking about. Look around the league at the modern 3-4. Aaron donald plays in a 3-4. Middle linebackers are getting smaller. The Bucs middle linebackers, roquan smith, Ravens 1st Rd pick linebacker from last year. And Fowler got his 11 sacks in a 3-4. We've ran some 3-4 principles last year. You are uninformed.

https://ramblinfan.com/2020/05/24/why-la-rams-base-3-4-defense-means-very-little/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...