2 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

It took them literally all day yesterday to iron out the details for Urban Meyer to go to Jacksonville, and nobody else wanted him.

Pessimism for its own sake is rarely a good thing.

Meyer and JAX was speculated as soon as Marrone was fired. Meyer only had vague interest in one other job in the NFL and as soon as that was known JAX flew him in and hammered out the deal. That is not the same case with Smith.

Gotta come with better examples.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Henry is a second round back. THere are other guys like him. Give Smith some credit. Henry was not elite until he became a OC.

As we wait to see if Arthur Smith officially takes the job in Atlanta, among all OCs in the last 20 seasons, Arthur Smith offenses ranked 1st in red zone efficiency, 2nd in yards per play, and 4th in

The entire Falcons Fanbase

Posted Images

1 minute ago, dodge_birds_fan said:

That's my question, are they so run heavy because of Smith, or Vrabel?

I think it's a combination of Vrabel and their personnel. When you have a RB like Henry and a so-so QB like Tannehill, running it often is simply playing to your strengths. Even so, Tannehill had BY FAR his two best years under Arthur Smith. 

2 minutes ago, stizz said:

Meyer and JAX was speculated as soon as Marrone was fired. Meyer only had vague interest in one other job in the NFL and as soon as that was known JAX flew him in and hammered out the deal. That is not the same case with Smith.

Gotta come with better examples.

Why is it a bad example?  Literally nobody else wanted him, and it still took them all day yesterday to iron out the details.

Why should the Falcons be expected to have this one done shortly before lunchtime, when by your own reasoning other teams are interested and he has other options?

Do you think negotiating is easier when your options are limited?

6 minutes ago, Expert Poster said:

I think it's a combination of Vrabel and their personnel. When you have a RB like Henry and a so-so QB like Tannehill, running it often is simply playing to your strengths. Even so, Tannehill had BY FAR his two best years under Arthur Smith. 

It's also not as run-heavy as people think.  It's almost 50/50.  It was 51% pass last season.  49.72% passing this season:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/passing-play-pct?date=2021-01-16

People think they run all the time because they don't pass all the time.

9 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Why is it a bad example?  Literally nobody else wanted him, and it still took them all day yesterday to iron out the details.

Why should the Falcons be expected to have this one done shortly before lunchtime, when by your own reasoning other teams are interested and he has other options?

Do you think negotiating is easier when your options are limited?

I don't think you're understanding. Meyer had been speculated to the Jags as soon as they fired Marrone. Meyer was also rumored with the Chargers as of two days ago. After that rumor, JAX secured the deal. They could have made the hire days ago before he spoke with LA.

Furthermore, their staff was vague about interest. There had not been a leak about an offer being made, just that the two had come to an agreement. There was a report yesterday all day that the Jags were FINALIZING a deal with Meyer. That is very much different from us OFFERING a deal and it leaking.

See how the words are different?

1 hour ago, A-TowN.- said:

Can we trade you this off-season? Pretty terrible. 

Ppl mad at me for pointing out the obvious ... we were 4-12 who is the highest paid player on our team ? He deserves at least 50% of the blame for the losses defense this defense that ... you know we’re allowed to score too right ? Matt Ryan made Koo from a bust to a pro bowler 

6 hours ago, fuego said:

I'd like to see stats on running vs passing in the red zone stats. If more running, then that's due to Henry, and we don't have a Henry. And if Henry can be shut down like the Ravens did, then our O doesn't stand a chance without a Henry. 

The assumption would be his balanced approach would help highlight our passing game that’s been on the fritz lately, and teams wouldn’t be able to key in on our, hopefully, upgraded RB.

I think this confirms we aren’t going QB in the draft. I’m mildly excited. We let Ryan manage games more instead of trying to win them, maybe extend on a more cap friendly deal and spread out the hits, maybe we can build something for his farewell tour.

1 minute ago, JetJones11 said:

Ppl mad at me for pointing out the obvious ... we were 4-12 who is the highest paid player on our team ? He deserves at least 50% of the blame for the losses defense this defense that ... you know we’re allowed to score too right ? Matt Ryan made Koo from a bust to a pro bowler 

31 other teams.

2 minutes ago, stizz said:

I don't think you're understanding. Meyer had been speculated to the Jags as soon as they fired Marrone. Meyer was also rumored with the Chargers as of two days ago. After that rumor, JAX secured the deal. They could have made the hire days ago before he spoke with LA.

Furthermore, their staff was vague about interest. There had not been a leak about an offer being made, just that the two had come to an agreement. There was a report yesterday all day that the Jags were FINALIZING a deal with Meyer. That is very much different from us OFFERING a deal and it leaking.

See how the words are different?

It.

Took.

All.

Day.

Long.

Give the Falcons some time boss.

3 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

It's also not as run-heavy as people think.  It's almost 50/50.  It was 51% pass last season.  49.72% passing this season:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/passing-play-pct?date=2021-01-16

People think they run all the time because they don't pass all the time.

Yeah, true. They're balanced, but run it more than most teams in today's NFL. Like Shanahan, I don't think he's going to be intent on forcing a certain run/pass ratio--he'll maximize the personnel he has and keep the defense off balance, whether that means 70/30 or 50/50. 

3 minutes ago, Wjcorner said:

The assumption would be his balanced approach would help highlight our passing game that’s been on the fritz lately, and teams wouldn’t be able to key in on our, hopefully, upgraded RB.

I think this confirms we aren’t going QB in the draft. I’m mildly excited. We let Ryan manage games more instead of trying to win them, maybe extend on a more cap friendly deal and spread out the hits, maybe we can build something for his farewell tour.

I don't understand why people think a new regime is not going to want to bring in their own guy, especially if Fields is there at 4, after watching games last year where it was clear Ryan's arm is becoming problematic.

5 minutes ago, JetJones11 said:

🤡

The jags don't look like a place any sane person wants to coach. They dismantled a team that went to the AFC championship 3 years ago. They built up a huge cap deficit the they have no intention of spending. Despite their draft position the last few years have not improved.

It's hard to believe they could get worse with Meyer but this team does not seem to have any interest in being a competitive franchise.

1 minute ago, stizz said:

I'm just saying there is a difference in a team making an offer and one finalizing an offer my guy.

And I'm saying it takes time to finalize an offer.  Your first post on the topic was this one:

36 minutes ago, stizz said:

It has been hours now. Sounds like this is way more than "ironing out the details." I wonder if he is really mulling over that Philly job.

If he does pass, this is going to look very bad on Blank and co. when they attempt to come crawling back to other candidates. Blank needs to completely wipe out McKay and associates if it does come to this embarrassment.

It's been HOURS!

I mean, HOURS!

Heavens to Betsy!

TiredFluffyCygnet-small.gif

3 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

And I'm saying it takes time to finalize an offer.  Your first post on the topic was this one:

It's been HOURS!

I mean, HOURS!

Heavens to Betsy!

TiredFluffyCygnet-small.gif

This isn't an engineering position where you can just sit around with an offer in your email and sit on it. Yes, it has only been hours but now it is highlighted because someone did the franchise a disservice and leaked it. It's in the media and online. You don't think Blank is getting antsy? You are taking into account that Smith has indeed agreed and that just isn't the case.

I'm not against the hire in any means, but all I'm saying is the circumstances put the Falcons in a predicament if he declines.