Arthur Smith fans, what is it about his scheme do you like?

26 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Yall not leaving me out of this Smith talk. I'm not being sarcastic ( I've made plenty of jokes about him in other threads about his reliance on Derrick Henry). In this tread, I wanna get a grip on exactly what it is about his scheme that people like? Is it the physicality of his offense? He does some read options. Their offense reminds me of Baltimore's but without the depth at running back Baltimore has.

He’s committed to a balanced attack that will take pressure off of Ryan. It will lead us to also invest in a running back plus a good offensive line coach. Arthur’s scheme didn’t ask Tannhill to do much, but he always used play action to keep defenses off balanced which in turn made it a little easier surveying the field. Dominant run game helps everything.

Edited by Macintez
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He runs it exactly like the Shanahans drew it up.  Everything works off the wide zone blocking scheme in the run game.  From that, he dials up play action and bootlegs to keep defenses off balance, an

#2 Tenn redzone 48/64 - 75% #1 GB redzone 48/60 - 80% Atl redzone 31/58 53%  

Has a synergistic approach to the game. Believes in keeping the defense off the field and the defense getting the offense back on the field. Quick strike is BS

3 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I wouldn't exactly count 2019. Nobody was beating the Chiefs. It's not like they played terribly, they just ran into a better team.

But they were up 17 points and completely stalled in the 2nd half.  This year they were up 10 points and completely stalled.  That sounds oddly familiar.  We got on our previous regime for the same exact thing.  

1 minute ago, Macintez said:

He’s committed to a balanced attack that will take pressure off of Ryan. It will lead us to also invest in a running back plus a good offensive line coach. Arthur’s scheme didn’t ask Tannhill to do much, but he always used play action to keep defenses off balanced which in turn made it a little easier surveying the field. Dominant run game helps everything.

5 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Baltimore and Tennessee had the exact same gameplan going into this game, Baltimore slightly executed it better (Largely thanks to Lamar's wheels)

Vrabel is also an idiot for punting on 4th and 2 at the opponents 40.

This same gameplan beat Bill B last year and this same Ravens team that was 14-2.

They beat Belichick last year by a whopping score of 20-13.  Defense won them that game.  That Patriots team was hanging on by a thread anyways and that was further proven this year.

51 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

But they were up 17 points and completely stalled in the 2nd half.  This year they were up 10 points and completely stalled.  That sounds oddly familiar.  We got on our previous regime for the same exact thing.  

Being fair, I'd say that's more Vrabel than AS. Same sorta gameplan LaFleur had there a lot of the time, but look how different he is in GB. Smith just ran it better and with more wrinkles in Tennessee. 

Also, and I feel like a broken record saying this, but TATF obsesses pretty hard over one aspect of being a head coach compared to the rest. 

2 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

We got on to our previous regime blowing 30 point leads, not 10 point leads. A 10 point lead to the Chiefs is nothing. They were down 24 to the Texans the week before and beat them by 20...

27 minutes ago, athell said:

Great article. What I'm starting to see is a lot of Dan Reeves in Arthur Smith. Yeah, folks are comparing him to Shanahan with the blocking schemes, I'm talking more about his basic philosophy of being physical and pounding the ball to set up the pass. Henry is the modern day Jamal Anderson. He uses the tight end AND keeps things simple for his quarterback.  Reeves had complicated schemes but adjusted it according to the ability of his quarterback. I can go with this.

8 minutes ago, Flyin' In DC said:

Didn't they make it to the AFC chanpionship game last year?

Lost 35-24

115 rushing yards

295 passing yards

That was not too bad in my opinion

They were up 17 at one point.

That means they only scored 1 more TD.

We got on our previous regime for the same exact thing. 

5 minutes ago, Macintez said:

I just read a article posted in this thread that backs that up. I like this scheme.

3 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

They were up 17 at one point.

That means they only scored 1 more TD.

We got on our previous regime for the same exact thing. 

They were never up 17 in that game. It was 10-7 after the first quarter. They were losing 21-17 at half time.

We're really bashing a guy for losing to the NFL's next dynasty...

Just now, red falcon said:

For real. Henry rejuvenated Tannehills career. Not the other way around.

Honestly Smith is smart to get out now. That team is tied to Henry and his huge contract. As great as he has been he is about to turn 27 and over the past two years he has 782 carries included the dreaded 370+ last season. You would hate to see it but those wheels could roll off soon.

14 minutes ago, Jesus said:

It didn't seem like a good game plan to have you star running back carry the load against the #8 rushing defense after he went 34-250 the week before. 

I agree he should have mixed it up more. Use Henry as more of a decoy in the first half, then pound them in the second half.

Just now, Jesus said:

Honestly Smith is smart to get out now. That team is tied to Henry and his huge contract. As great as he has been he is about to turn 27 and over the past two years he has 782 carries included the dreaded 370+ last season. You would hate to see it but those wheels could roll off soon.

Writing is definitely on the wall. I think they franchise tagged henry. If anyone deserves a contract its him. He is the engine.

3 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

They were never up 17 in that game. It was 10-7 after the first quarter. They were losing 21-17 at half time.

I stand corrected.  They were up 10.  Regardless it’s a blown lead that DQ, Koetter and company would’ve gotten blasted for.  But let’s look at the stats:

Henry: 19att 69yds 1td  longest rush was 13 yards

Tannenhill: 21/31 209 yds 2 TDs

proof that if Henry isn’t running well they struggle.

10 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Great article. What I'm starting to see is a lot of Dan Reeves in Arthur Smith. Yeah, folks are comparing him to Shanahan with the blocking schemes, I'm talking more about his basic philosophy of being physical and pounding the ball to set up the run. Henry is the modern day Jamal Anderson. He uses the tight end AND keeps things simple for his quarterback.  Reeves had complicated schemes but adjusted it according to the ability of his quarterback. I can go with this.

Yes sir!  You got it!

2 minutes ago, red falcon said:

Writing is definitely on the wall. I think they franchise tagged henry. If anyone deserves a contract its him. He is the engine.

I had to look it up. They signed him to a 4 year $50 mill deal in July 2020. Then I saw his high school stats. I honestly don't even know what to make of these numbers.

Derrick Henry Rushing
Year Team GP Att Yds Avg Yds/G Lng TD
2009 Yulee 11 313 2,465 7.9 224.1 26
2010 Yulee 12 313 2,788 8.9 232.3 75 38
2011 Yulee 12 309 3,165 10.2 263.7 90 34
2012 Yulee 13 462 4,261 9.2 327.8 80 55
Career 48 1,397 12,124 8.7 252.6 90 153
Just now, KRUNKuno said:

I stand corrected.  They were up 10.  Regardless it’s a blown lead that DQ, Koetter and company would’ve gotten blasted for.  But let’s look at the stats:

Henry: 19att 69yds 1td  longest rush was 13 yards

Tannenhill: 21/31 209 yds 2 TDs

proof that if Henry isn’t running well they struggle.

I dont consider losing a 10 point lead when the 10 points happens half way through the first quarter a blown lead...I consider losing a 21 point lead after half time a blown lead.