Arthur Smith fans, what is it about his scheme do you like?

Yall not leaving me out of this Smith talk. I'm not being sarcastic ( I've made plenty of jokes about him in other threads about his reliance on Derrick Henry). In this tread, I wanna get a grip on exactly what it is about his scheme that people like? Is it the physicality of his offense? He does some read options. Their offense reminds me of Baltimore's but without the depth at running back Baltimore has.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He runs it exactly like the Shanahans drew it up.  Everything works off the wide zone blocking scheme in the run game.  From that, he dials up play action and bootlegs to keep defenses off balance, an

#2 Tenn redzone 48/64 - 75% #1 GB redzone 48/60 - 80% Atl redzone 31/58 53%  

Has a synergistic approach to the game. Believes in keeping the defense off the field and the defense getting the offense back on the field. Quick strike is BS

He runs it exactly like the Shanahans drew it up.  Everything works off the wide zone blocking scheme in the run game.  From that, he dials up play action and bootlegs to keep defenses off balance, and he incorporates every member of that offense into it.  Remember when we set an NFL record when Matt threw TDs to 13 different players in 2016?  Well, the Titans threw TDs to 10 different players in 2020.  They had one 1000 yard receiver and another within 16 yards of 1000, plus a 2000 yard rusher.  They averaged 30 PPG.  He had 2 WRs and a TE with rushing carries this season, and 4 RBs and a FB with receptions.

This is the Shanahan system with very little deviation.  It works.  We need it again.

Just now, KRUNKuno said:

Arthur Smith has shown in consecutive post-season years that he either can’t, or doesn’t, make in game adjustments.  If His offense struggles if Derrick Henry isn’t having a good game.

I'd like to see the falcons in consecutive post season games.

2 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

Arthur Smith has shown in consecutive post-season years that he either can’t, or doesn’t, make in game adjustments.  If His offense struggles if Derrick Henry isn’t having a good game.

It makes sense considering Derrick Henry is the heart and soul of that offense. You can't rely on Tannenhill.

4 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

He runs it exactly like the Shanahans drew it up.  Everything works off the wide zone blocking scheme in the run game.  From that, he dials up play action and bootlegs to keep defenses off balance, and he incorporates every member of that offense into it.  Remember when we set an NFL record when Matt threw TDs to 13 different players in 2016?  Well, the Titans threw TDs to 10 different players in 2020.  They had one 1000 yard receiver and another within 16 yards of 1000, plus a 2000 yard rusher.  They averaged 30 PPG.  He had 2 WRs and a TE with rushing carries this season, and 4 RBs and a FB with receptions.

This is the Shanahan system with very little deviation.  It works.  We need it again.

From what I've heard it sounds like Atlanta is a much better fit for Arthur Smith than Tennessee was.

3 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

I have observed the same thing and I am concerned about this.  Tennessee always looks flat in the playoffs.

6 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Has a synergistic approach to the game. Believes in keeping the defense off the field and the defense getting the offense back on the field. Quick strike is BS

I agree with everything but the quick strike. Points is points.

1 minute ago, KRUNKuno said:

Touché.  We aren’t far removed from it.  But I’d also like to know my HC won’t get out gameplanned in those consecutive playoffs. 

Baltimore and Tennessee had the exact same gameplan going into this game, Baltimore slightly executed it better (Largely thanks to Lamar's wheels)

Vrabel is also an idiot for punting on 4th and 2 at the opponents 40.

This same gameplan beat Bill B last year and this same Ravens team that was 14-2.

10 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

Didn't they make it to the AFC chanpionship game last year?

Lost 35-24

115 rushing yards

295 passing yards

That was not too bad in my opinion

I like Hackett because since he got to green Bay his job was to maximize the redzone production. He did. That has been our weakness for a while. Especially since 2017. 

I wouldn't mind Smith either or Brady. Since they paired Hackett with Fontenot first I been looking into the guy and I am a fan.

Don't hate Smith nor the work he has put in.

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I am all for redzone production but that seems to be huge weakness w/ Matt Ryan aka "Captain Field Goal". 

Scheming for touchdowns is the key in the redzone. Deciding betwee handing Gurley the ball so that he runs into the butt of the first guy he sees or throwing fades to back of the endzone is not good strategy.