We Got Him: Terry Fontenot

In retrospect, this makes perfect sense. One of the themes of many experts was that the Falcons position could be the least attractive due to cap concerns and ageing players. Fonetnot is the one guy would would potentially upgrade his cap situation for 2021 by coming here.

The Saints are looking to be $100m over the projected cap for next season and Brees is likely off into the sunset. Not a great combination of factors. At least the Falcons concerns are mostly linked to guys they have signed who have some gas left in the tank.

If ever a team is in win now mode, it is the Saints. With that...Go Bucs!

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There was never a time when we were not pulling for the Bucs this weekend.

Im good with it. As long as Brady is not his coach. Otherwise, lets start the coaching list candidates of 2024 now.

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, CTann said:

Holmes was my #1 choice. With that said, the Saints aren’t getting two additional 3rd round comp picks from ATLANTA. They’re getting rewarded those two picks from the NFL. Fontenot likely would’ve been hired by another team and the Saints still would’ve gotten those two picks regardless. Let’s just hope Fontenot does a great job here.

Dude I understand that. I'm saying due to that dumb rule, they'll be receiving two additional picks and they already draft well. 

2 minutes ago, stizz said:

Yes, thinking McKay is a competent decision maker is dumb.

It could be worse.  He could think it's a great idea to not hire the best candidate because another team is getting 2 3rd round picks over 2 years that are functionally 4ths, that that team will get anyway since someone else would have hired Fontenot eventually.

Because that is super dumb.

Don’t feel one way or the other just gonna support him. Hard to evaluate FO members when you can’t see behind the scenes, unlike player evaluation where we are presented enough information to judge strengths and weaknesses that can be used differently depending on scheme 

3 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Makes you wonder if he was our #1 choice but picked Detroit instead so we fell back onto our 2nd option.

I think Holmes was the number 2. All the reports that came out were either Fontenot and Smith as the finalists or Fontenot and Holmes as the finalists.

Fontenot was always the common figure in the reports.

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I’m good with this.  The Saints have done wonders with their player personnel since 2017.  I wonder if Brady is his preferred coach?

They have also been in cap **** almost every year. No thanks

Just now, Norwood all the way! said:

Haven't gone through the entire thread here but to me this doesn't mean Fontentot WILL be out next GM. To me it just means the falcons have him as a favorite which we've all pretty much known for at least a few days. Maybe I'm just reading too much in between the lines?

They don't want to say anything until the Saints have played. My guess is he's been offered but the announcement can't be made. That shouldn't matter for a mid-level personnel guy. It's not like he is preparing for the game.

4 minutes ago, Jesus said:

They don't want to say anything until the Saints have played. My guess is he's been offered but the announcement can't be made. That shouldn't matter for a mid-level personnel guy. It's not like he is preparing for the game.

There may be a verbal agreement between the two but someone as much in the know as Shefter could say something. I wouldn't expect the Falcons or Terry to say anything until ink is on paper. 

15 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

It could be worse.  He could think it's a great idea to not hire the best candidate because another team is getting 2 3rd round picks over 2 years that are functionally 4ths, that that team will get anyway since someone else would have hired Fontenot eventually.

here you are, using all that logic and common sense stuff around here again like you think it will be ok

tsk tsk tsk

:troll::lol:

8 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Who says he was getting hired elsewhere? Just like Eric B. Was a lock to be hired? Just like Riddick was a lock to be hired? Fontenot was linked to the Broncos and Jags. Denver went with Paton and Jax is going with whoever Meyer wants.

A take isn't dumb just because someone has questions and prefers another candidate, especially if the decision was made by someone who thought it was a sound decision to talk his boss out of firing Quinn.

30 minutes ago, WH dirtybird said:

I am not going to pull for Tom Brady to win this weekend. To do so would be an automatic Saints win. I have pulled for Brady to win a game maybe about five times in his career and he has lost every one of them. 

Then WTH did you not pull for him in Super Bowl 51?    

It's all your fault!Slap-Forehead.jpg

• Ergo Proxy changed the title to We Got Him: Terry Fontenot