We Got Him: Terry Fontenot

Just now, celtiksage said:

Yeah I'm with you. I can live with a little boring if it equates to wins. Beats the heck out if the cardiac kids we've been watching these last few years. I'm getting too old for that. Boring might just be what the doctor ordered.

I'd feel different if it were a situation where their defense was scoring a lot, getting turnovers, etc.  But the defense for the Titans has been bad this season.  Arguably, the offense is the only reason they weren't just awful.  

That tells me if you get a good defensive coach to pair with him, you'd have a team much like the 2016 team, but with the ability to be even better.  A defense that can hold, get off the field and get turnovers will maximize any offense.  And since Smith's offense is carrying that team as it is, the sky's the limit.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There was never a time when we were not pulling for the Bucs this weekend.

Im good with it. As long as Brady is not his coach. Otherwise, lets start the coaching list candidates of 2024 now.

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

why does Fontenot get a "Yessssss"?

I claim ignorance but I just don't know enough about him for this - especially when it comes to college scouting - which is exponentially more important than "pro scouting" which was Fontenot's title.

I assume you know a good chunk about how good their FA acquisitions are, so I'll skip that. He was more involved in the college scouting department than the job title would suggest, and he was a big part of building that defense. Does a lot of player projection (what kind of role would this player fill?) and does scouting on all other 31 NFL teams, so he has his finger on the pulse of where the league is going and talks a lot about how to stay ahead of the curve. Former safety out of Tulane too - I'm real big on former players, both in coaching and scouting. He's a football guy. That's what I wanted most.

Tbh he and Holmes both fit most of what I'm looking for. I'd have been happy with either.

1 minute ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I think that Sean Payton is probably the only Saint that dislikes the Falcons in real life. Matt Ryan and Drew Brees are probably friends in real life. I think Julio and Brees follow each other on Twitter as well as Ryan and Brees.

Roddy White hated the Saints like Payton hates the Falcons. Outside of those 2, I am sure theirs some dislike going on between the squads but it's not nearly on the same level. One of the main reasons we all love Roddy so much.

4 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Morten Andersen helped the Falcons beat the Saints several times.

Oh - he's not the only player - we've had a lot of players who have gone back and forth.    Hate 'em when they play for the Saints - sometimes love 'em when they play for the Falcons, lol!

Bobby Hebert beating the 49ers in '95 is one of my greatest memories!

2 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Roddy White hated the Saints like Payton hates the Falcons. Outside of those 2, I am sure theirs some dislike going on between the squads but it's not nearly on the same level. One of the main reasons we all love Roddy so much.

Yup, Roddy was not only a player - he's a fan!   He gets us!

2 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Cam Jordan hates the Falcons with the burning passion of a thousand suns.

44 minutes ago, Tandy said:

We all do.   I just hope this isn't another Saints trick to sabotage us!!  🤣

He is from Louisiana and has been with the Saints a long time.   They get draft picks - and could have a spy right on top of our stack!  

I always thought I was the only person who thought like this... I would've preferred someone out of the division.... Especially not a Saints lifer

This leads me to believe we have our finalists at HC and it's someone he would not mind working with.

To those worried about his scouting, I'm sure he will bring I'm top minds to do that for him so he can focus on the pro side. Not worried about that in the least.

I also think this means someone big gets traded, that's Fontenonts speciality (movement on the pro side)

59 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I’m good with this.  The Saints have done wonders with their player personnel since 2017.  I wonder if Brady is his preferred coach?

You could know very quickly. No reason a Brady hire couldn't happen at any time. I'm sure if he is the choice, the Falcons learned of that during the interview process.

52 minutes ago, Tandy said:

We all do.   I just hope this isn't another Saints trick to sabotage us!!  🤣

He is from Louisiana and has been with the Saints a long time.   They get draft picks - and could have a spy right on top of our stack!  

So is Debo.

Dude has been a thorn in the Saints side since his first game against them in 2016.

What a dumb team. Blank and McKay. Two goofs. 

Let's give our good drafting rival two freebie draft picks and if he doesn't work out here, he's got a cushy job waiting for him again in New Orleans. 

Holmes was right there. Once again McKay in charge of another decision that sets the franchise back. I don't know what it's going to take for Blank to see he's a complete moron.

13 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I assume you know a good chunk about how good their FA acquisitions are, so I'll skip that. He was more involved in the college scouting department than the job title would suggest, and he was a big part of building that defense. Does a lot of player projection (what kind of role would this player fill?) and does scouting on all other 31 NFL teams, so he has his finger on the pulse of where the league is going and talks a lot about how to stay ahead of the curve. Former safety out of Tulane too - I'm real big on former players, both in coaching and scouting. He's a football guy. That's what I wanted most.

Tbh he and Holmes both fit most of what I'm looking for. I'd have been happy with either.

thanks for your take.   The more positive takes the better if he is the decision as it looks like that to be the case.   I want to feel good about it.

Just now, stizz said:

What a dumb team. Blank and McKay. Two goofs. 

Let's give our good drafting rival two freebie draft picks and if he doesn't work out here, he's got a cushy job waiting for him again in New Orleans. 

Holmes was right there. Once again McKay in charge of another decision that sets the franchise back. I don't know what it's going to take for Blank to see he's a complete moron.

I preferred Holmes. That said, you can't know this for sure. 

32 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

serious question:

If you were the Saints, would you even want Terry Fontenot in your building if you knew he just accepted a deal to be the new Falcons GM?

"Terry,  please go in the warroom and take a picture of the Saints draft board and grab all the scouting reports on the way out."

Brilliant spin!!!

• Ergo Proxy changed the title to We Got Him: Terry Fontenot