Arthur Smith & Wade Phillips

1 hour ago, E. T. said:

Wade is a great coach! But I wonder why does a great coach with a great defensive mind such as Wade bounce around a lot?

A variety of circumstances.

He left some places due to regime changes.

He got fired from HC of the Cowboys in which I still believe Jason Garrett and Jerry Jones set him up to promote Garrett from OC into the HC job.

He became interim HC when Kubiak was done with the Texans and wasn't hired as the new HC.

Phillips left Denver when Kubiak stepped down as HC.

Not sure about what happened in LA with the Rams.

11 minutes ago, falcndave said:

Ageism is rampant. I've read 4 WP threads and seen this 4 times.  Age is not a disqualified for NFL coach. Lack of fire is. As long as the man cares about winning, he's a valuable coach.

He didn’t say he could coach because he’s old, he literally said he should stay inside because of COVID, and at his age higher risk.  

12 minutes ago, falcndave said:

Ageism is rampant. I've read 4 WP threads and seen this 4 times.  Age is not a disqualified for NFL coach. Lack of fire is. As long as the man cares about winning, he's a valuable coach.

3 minutes ago, octoslash said:

Age is meaningless if a person's still healthy.  

I'm 57 and still banging 20 year old strippers.   

Okay, that's a lie. 

Most are around 25 or 26.  

Really it all depends on Wade Phillips mental state at this point in his life and career.

Hard to say if he's fine or if coaches see something with him that may give them pause from reaching out to hire him now.

Hope he's fine and that's not the case, but you never know.

Just now, DonOfThemBirds said:

Really it all depends on Wade Phillips mental state at this point in his life and career.

Hard to say if he's fine or if coaches see something with him that may give them pause from reaching out to hire him now.

Hope he's fine and that's not the case, but you never know.

I think stability has a lot to do with it. People would prefer to think they are hiring a staff what will be in place for years. The flaw in that thinking is that a coach 2 years from retirement and a 50 year old coach are equally likely to be in place 3 years down the road. Coordinator positions are among the most fluid positions in the NFL...especially if that coordinator is good. 

1 hour ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

A variety of circumstances.

He left some places due to regime changes.

He got fired from HC of the Cowboys in which I still believe Jason Garrett and Jerry Jones set him up to promote Garrett from OC into the HC job.

He became interim HC when Kubiak was done with the Texans and wasn't hired as the new HC.

Phillips left Denver when Kubiak stepped down as HC.

Not sure about what happened in LA with the Rams.

And we can go back much much farther. He was here when Reeves was coach and bounced around numerous times since. Who knows, but I bet his resume is as thick as an Atlanta phone book.... some folks on here might not remember those phone books.

4 minutes ago, E. T. said:

And we can go back much much farther. He was here when Reeves was coach and bounced around numerous times since. Who knows, but I bet his resume is as thick as an Atlanta phone book.... some folks on here might not remember those phone books.

Yep, Wade has been around the NFL longer than some on this board have been alive.

I can dig that. I have always liked Wade Phillips. He is a guy that adjusts to the talent that he has and runs an aggressive defense that fits well with our current personnel.

I am warming up to Arthur Smith but still like Hackett more.