Arthur Smith & Wade Phillips

I just wonder if Wade has any desire to coach anymore. He is 73. I just posted this in another thread. 

“Not sure who we would see as an OC under smith, assume he might call his own plays, but I’m more interested in DC. A name I would keep an eye on is Teryl Austin former DC in Detroit now secondary coach for the Steelers who had the 3rd ranked defense this year. I’m sure some of you remember he was interviewed for the head job before Quinn was hired. Just a thought. “

3 minutes ago, chris2010 said:

I just wonder if Wade has any desire to coach anymore. He is 73. I just posted this in another thread. 

“Not sure who we would see as an OC under smith, assume he might call his own plays, but I’m more interested in DC. A name I would keep an eye on is Teryl Austin former DC in Detroit now secondary coach for the Steelers who had the 3rd ranked defense this year. I’m sure some of you remember he was interviewed for the head job before Quinn was hired. Just a thought. “

I always liked Austin. 

4 minutes ago, chris2010 said:

I would like Phillips, but I'm feeling the possibility of going young people in each position. GM, HC,OC and DC 

GM Holmes or Fontenot

HC Hackett or Smith

OC McDaniels or Schaub 

DC UlBrich or Mayo/Ryans 

Now these moves set us up of the Future tremendously. 

Win#1 bring is young minds not fully schemed for. Surprise the league offensively and defensively

Win#2 Once guys like Julio and Matt retire we can shock the league again with a young QB in the ranks.

Win#3 they know what they league is transitioning to and how to communicate with younger players

1 hour ago, chris2010 said:

Saw a report earlier in the season that Wade Phillips still wants to coach as a DC but HCs around the NFL think that he may have gotten too old to endure being able to coach at a place for that long now.

I think teams want longevity over having worry about Phillips availability from season to season.

5 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Saw a report earlier in the season that Wade Phillips still wants to coach as a DC but HCs around the NFL think that he may have gotten too old to endure being able to coach at a place for that long now.

I think teams want longevity over having worry about Phillips availability from season to season.

Or if he had anyone in mind to tutor for 1/2 seasons, to have ready to take over.

7 hours ago, Dr Long Shot said:

It could just be tongue in cheek. At his age and the current situation I see it as very unlikely he coaches again. 

I think he is serious.  He has been an excellent DC every where he has coached.  Imagine him as DC with a solid young understudy.  He would provide a blue print for a good 3-4 defense and act as a consiglieri to the new HC.  

I am not an advocate, just someone looking at what every candidate can offer.  

13 minutes ago, etherdome said:

I think he is serious.  He has been an excellent DC every where he has coached.  Imagine him as DC with a solid young understudy.  He would provide a blue print for a good 3-4 defense and act as a consiglieri to the new HC.  

I am not an advocate, just someone looking at what every candidate can offer.  

Keep Ulbrick as DC and bring on Wade as a consultant.  Probably won't happen but would be a nice mix of experience, youth  and continuity.  

Offensive coaches are innovative, flashy, speed, shiny and young.  But I will take an older, grizzled, force our will, seen everything, made every adjustment, defensive coach any day.

Wade Phillips is only 70? (actually he is 73).  He's younger than Trump AND Biden and they have much tougher gigs.  Isnt Nick Saban 70... age is irrelevant when you have a track record kids look up to.

I just like a guy who has more analytics in his on-field experience to build this defense than some play 15 yards off the ball when its 3rd and 14 yahoo of the month coach.

PS:  As a head coach, Wade has a winning record with the Falcons (just saying).