HELP sell me on Smith.  I feel as though if you take Henry away, his offense becomes mute (and we don't have a Derrick Henry).  We all watched as Baltimore shut down Henry and they had to lean on the passing game and ended up with 158 yards (I believe).  I guess I should be more interested in who would be calling the plays Smith or someone else.  For anyone that likes him as our next HC, who does he have in mind as an OC.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You could do this with any hot coaching candidate that has production this past year. "Take away their best" It's more about do they tailor their offense to their personnel? Ryan Tanneh

He has a knack for building a strong OL, he believes in balanced attacks, he has a synergistic belief system for football where the defense and offense helps each other, by keeping the defense off the

Posted this in another thread: Arthur Smith's offense is very similar to Shanahan's, and he sets up defenses in much the same way Kyle does.  He uses pre-snap motion to give the QB easy reads, ru

Posted Images

You could do this with any hot coaching candidate that has production this past year.

"Take away their best"

It's more about do they tailor their offense to their personnel?

Ryan Tannehill was who again before Smith? Even Henry got way more productive once Smith became the OC.

We have a better QB and weapons situation and have performed in a similar offense. He doesn't have to bring Henry; to your point, but he "should" bring a run game and improve the OL/RB room. (players added to both for scheme, especially RB)

Seahawks got shut down by the Rams #1 Defense. Let's see how they matchup vs the Packers. That's the game I want to see, more than Bucs/Saints.

Also, Baltimore was the #2 defense. Falcons with a run game + our weapons and QB? Arthur overachieved with RT.

Edited by Ergo Proxy
1 minute ago, Ergo Proxy said:

You could do this with any hot coaching candidate that has production this past year.

"Take away their best"

Ryan Tannehill was who again before Smith? Even Henry got way more productive once Smith became the OC.

We have a better QB and weapons situation and have performed in a similar offense. He doesn't have to bring Henry; to your point, but he "should" bring a run game and improve the OL/RB room. (players added to both for scheme, especially RB)

This is the stuff I'm looking to see.  Great understanding.  I do wonder who he has in mind for an OC or if he will call the plays.

Just now, Ergo Proxy said:

"Take away their best"

Adding to the bolder, we cannot continue judging these guys off of one got forsaken game

6 minutes ago, KCFalcon22 said:

HELP sell me on Smith.  I feel as though if you take Henry away, his offense becomes mute (and we don't have a Derrick Henry).  We all watched as Baltimore shut down Henry and they had to lean on the passing game and ended up with 158 yards (I believe).  I guess I should be more interested in who would be calling the plays Smith or someone else.  For anyone that likes him as our next HC, who does he have in mind as an OC.

Smith is liked because he worked on both sides of the field. He is old school understand the run game when one is present. He is perfect for Tennessee. I feel like the blueprint is out to halt his offense. You can't say that about Brady or Hackett. Both are known for making wonders out of something not great. (LSU & Jacksonville). Plus both had offensive coaches ahead of them.

Edited by GATXBOI
Just now, RYNE said:

If you’re giving me Arthur Smith you dam well better be giving me Najee Harris to go along with him. Trade back up into the first could accomplish this task

If we don't take a QB, i'm hoping we use that draft capital to get back into the 1st for him.  Or trade back and select him.

2 minutes ago, RYNE said:

If you’re giving me Arthur Smith you dam well better be giving me Najee Harris to go along with him. Trade back up into the first could accomplish this task

Najee isnt the only good rb in this draft....I'd love to have him but I'm not trading up for him. 

7 minutes ago, KCFalcon22 said:

All OCs and their offense have bad days. Look at what the Falcons D against the Chiefs

1 minute ago, KCFalcon22 said:

You are correct, I need to go back and look at the Colts and Packers game to look at numbers.  But yeah thats an unfair judgement of 1 game.

It’s essentially equivalent to judging the Chiefs offense vs the Falcons defense a few weeks back and saying EB wasn’t that great. 

as I’ve been saying over and over, every single current head coach, even super bowl winning head coaches, and every single candidate has had bad days. It happens. That’s why teams have film sessions. If you think you’re going to get a perfect candidate in any potential candidate, you’re mistaken 

7 minutes ago, CMarinoNFL said:

Injuries took away Saleh's best and he still outperformed 26 other teams in DVOA

I lost access to FOs info since they require subscription now...but that's impressive. Saleh is high on my list of defensive side guys for sure. I know less about him tho.

11 minutes ago, ike barn87987 said:

But that's also why it's important to have a good HC.

Just like how you have to replace players, you have to replace coordinators and positional/assistant coaches.

Belichick for the most part thrived with changes from Charlie Weiss to Josh McDaniels to Bill O'Brien offensively. Look at the Ravens defensively over the years without having a defensive HC.

Good HC's find suitable coaching staff replacements and keep it moving.

Posted this in another thread:

Arthur Smith's offense is very similar to Shanahan's, and he sets up defenses in much the same way Kyle does.  He uses pre-snap motion to give the QB easy reads, runs majority outside zone run scheme, uses play-action bootlegs off of run looks, uses multiple TE sets, and keeps the FB in the check-down game plan.  Every play looks the same whether run or pass.  Smith's offense is much closer to the offense that Matt won an MVP running than anything we've run in the past couple of years. 

Don't assume that because Henry is a HOSS, Smith must be running some archaic "3 yards and a cloud of dust" Woody Hayes scheme.  Henry is a stud, but Smith isn't going to require a gigantic freak like him to succeed running the ball.  Our very similar offense in 2016 made Freeman and Coleman the best two-back combo in the league.

2 minutes ago, AndrewsFrancisBart said:

Posted this in another thread:

Arthur Smith's offense is very similar to Shanahan's, and he sets up defenses in much the same way Kyle does.  He uses pre-snap motion to give the QB easy reads, runs majority outside zone run scheme, uses play-action bootlegs off of run looks, uses multiple TE sets, and keeps the FB in the check-down game plan.  Every play looks the same whether run or pass.  Smith's offense is much closer to the offense that Matt won an MVP running than anything we've run in the past couple of years. 

Don't assume that because Henry is a HOSS, Smith must be running some archaic "3 yards and a cloud of dust" Woody Hayes scheme.  Henry is a stud, but Smith isn't going to require a gigantic freak like him to succeed running the ball.  Our very similar offense in 2016 made Freeman and Coleman the best two-back combo in the league.

I would love that, but who would he bring in as OC, or is he going to call the plays.