Would you trade Calvin Ridley for a Stephon Diggs type deal?

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Ridley became a 1k yard receiver earlier in his career than Diggs did. He has also produced 26 TDs to Diggs' 15 at the same point in their careers as well. Yea, Diggs is an all pro now, but he wasn't when he was traded.

1 hour ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Diggs first 5 years he was just like Ridley the previous 2 years.

Both brokeout this year. Diggs was finally the clear #1 without Thielen as was Ridley for about half the year while Julio was out.

Give Ridley 16 games as the #1 and he would produce an even better statline

You both have a point that Ridley’s production is arguably better at timeline of their careers. But all that suggests is that Ridley COULD be better than Diggs but he’s not better currently 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What is this idea that every player with talent should be traded away? How are the Vikings doing?

I disagree with your opinion that Ridley is better than Diggs. Diggs is 1st team all pro. Ridley just got his first 1000 yard season. 

I’m keeping Ridley. I would trade Julio before him.

Only reason to trade Ridley is to avoid paying him. If we could get a pick in the 18-25 range and we decided to use #4 on either Smith or Chase, it could be worth. It'd be nice to get 5 more years of rookie contract from a WR.

6 minutes ago, Dirtybird56 said:

HelI nah WR is a valuable position and Ridley is a legit stud. Turns out the intuitive “build the lines” (because in theory they affect every play) isn’t very accurate. Just as secondary is a bit more valuable than DL right now 

I'd love to see some evidence of this.

5 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I disagree with your opinion that Ridley is better than Diggs. Diggs is 1st team all pro. Ridley just got his first 1000 yard season. 

Rids number compare to Diggs with almost HALF the receptions. He’s a ton better. He had no Julio **** near all season so he was doubled a lot as well. 

For that deal you just offered i would probably take it and then turn around and do this in the draft.

#4 - i take Chase or Smith to replace Ridley with a guy as talented if not more talented and cheaper over the next 5 years.
#25 - I take Najee Harris to finally give us a legit RB that can also add alot of receptions. 

Then i take the other 3 picks and add depth to the team or use them as trade up pieces if need be for players i want.

I like ridley a ton but to save 13+ million for a extra 3+ years compared to a rookie reciever who possibly have more upside and to possibly upgrade 2 positions over the next 5 years + get 3 more picks to work with   Im pretty sure i take that chance and run with it on a WR as i don't feel WR's are super hard to replace as other positions.

With as loaded as WR classes are becoming I’m starting to think you it may be a good idea to never pay a WR top money.  There should be a ton of young WRs in the league in the next couple years. If I’m running the team I’d start shifting resources to the defense and draft a 3rd to 4th rounder WR every year or every two years.  Then let them walk after 4 years. 

5 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

For that deal you just offered i would probably take it and then turn around and do this in the draft.

#4 - i take Chase or Smith to replace Ridley with a guy as talented if not more talented and cheaper over the next 5 years.
#25 - I take Najee Harris to finally give us a legit RB that can also add alot of receptions. 

Then i take the other 3 picks and add depth to the team or use them as trade up pieces if need be for players i want.

I like ridley a ton but to save 13+ million for a extra 3+ years compared to a rookie reciever who possibly have more upside and to possibly upgrade 2 positions over the next 5 years + get 3 more picks to work with   Im pretty sure i take that chance and run with it on a WR as i don't feel WR's are super hard to replace as other positions.

All good on paper if all those guys you name are available in the sequence you call out.  Reality then steps in and your precise planning is in tatters.

Ridley is just getting better by the season.  He has and is an integral part of the team at this point.  Lets see what the new GM and HC decide.  If we ever fill those positions... lol

13 hours ago, Jesus said:

Cap **** is a myth perpetrated by sportswriters and fantasy football obsessed fans.

I think it is somewhere in the middle.

I believe there is SOME validity to it, and it has to matter at some point, but I don't think it is generally as bad as all the chicken little's would have you believe.

1 hour ago, kenn.junior said:

this is a dumb idea why cuz we dont have another WR on the roster thats consistent except for julio who is 32 years old. the vikings have theilen and jefferson we dont got those two guys on the roster

They had Theilen. They used the pick they got from the Diggs deal to draft Jefferson.

Everyone has a price, and the deal in the OP would meet and exceed my price for ANY WR.

I'm ready to punt on next year in an effort to clear cap and rebuild with good talent across the board, instead of trying to keep expensive players who you then have to depend on to be healthy. The only position you HAVE to pay at some point is QB.

Invest in a great front office, where there is no cap, and then Moneyball this s##t.

Twitter version: Falcons fans overvalue Ridley and no team in the NFL is giving up a "Diggsesque" package for him. If they do, we should take it on the spot.

Context below:

Abso-freakin'-lutely! If someone is willing to give me what the Vikings got for Diggs...I'll show my man Calvin the door myself. I think Calvin will be a 1,000 yard man for years to come (assuming he plays with a Ryan tier QB). However, WR is our strongest position.

Although I like Ridley a lot, I could name 5 younger guys off the top of my head that I think are equal overall receiving prospects going forward. I know this won't make me many friends around here, but Ridley is not special in a Julio Jones kinda way. He will get paid way too much on his next contract, but will not get top 10 money. If he did, about 20 guys would immediately hold out. On top of that, we could draft his replacement this season if it came to that.

Who are the 5 guys younger I think are as good? Metcalf, Jefferson, Claypool, Deebo, McLaurin, AJ Brown, G. Davis (I know you love me for adding this guy!). From his class I also like Kirk and Chark. Heck, I even think Sutton and DJ Moore could look as good if they had better QB play supporting them. 

I'm not saying one of those guys are better than Calvin (Metcalf, Deebo, and Brown could be). I also realize not everyone on that list will work out. Injuries, bad offenses, and WR diva syndrome happen. I'm saying they are his age or younger and have very good potential in my opinion. There are some "possession" guys and slot guys in that group. I don't think all of them have the big play potential of Calvin, but some have more. I think they all have something that helps teams win. If we expand the list a little more, some "marginal" younger guys I think are NFL quality include the young Dallas WRs, J. Washington, and A. Miller. (I realize the expanded list has 2 Steelers. It is easily argued that team was just throwing too much. Sure, Atlanta too.)

Between the quality WR 3-5 on our roster, the draft, and the number of guys coming off their first contracts that just need a QB, I think the Falcons could take a hit at WR better than they can at any other position. Especially if you are a "blow it up" person, now is the time to pull the trigger on deals like this (I am not in that camp, but I would do it.).

If you want to throw "stats" at me around my list, feel free. However, lets understand apples and oranges. Some of these guys are on run first squads and very few of them have a Ryan quality QB slinging the rock at them or Julio lining up next to them for most of their career. 

2 hours ago, Realsurfin said:

Trade Julio and keep Ridley.  Ridley is affordable performance.  Julio is like an expensive car.. maintenance fees and downtime outweigh performance.

We have to start paying Ridley the big bucks after this year....do you think he is worth more now or after he's been paid? Do you think we should tie up 20+ mil in a wr again? 

10 hours ago, jetpac said:

Rids number compare to Diggs with almost HALF the receptions. He’s a ton better. He had no Julio **** near all season so he was doubled a lot as well. 

By your logic that means Justin Jefferson is  better than Ridley already. 125 targets, 88 catches, 1400yards, 7 touchdowns, 2 drops. Ridley 143 targets, 90 catches, 1374 yards, 9 touchdowns, 6 drops.

Ridley had a pretty great season running in an offensive scheme that was lousy. Get him in the right scheme that utilizes his route running, speed, and quickness. His numbers will go up. It's about time we got a coach in here with a scheme that unleashes Ridley and Julio.

15 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Last year the Minnesota Vikings traded Diggs to the Bills for a mess of picks. They received a 1st rounder (pick 22 I believe), a 5th, 6th and a next years 4th for him. They used that pick to draft Justin Jefferson just fyi

If we sign Arthur Smith to be our HC we will need resources to shift more towards a running team and also to fix a very suspect defense. We are going to have to commit major money to Ridley very soon and then we will be right back in the same boat we got in with Julio. Might it be best to trade while his value is at it's absolute highest? I also think Ridley is better than Diggs and would fetch even more than he did in a trade.

For discussion sake, lets say a team loaded with picks like the Jags come calling. They want to get Lawrence a toy to play with right out of the gate. They offer up their other first rounder (pick 25), their other 2nd rounder (pick 45) and a 2022 2nd rounder.

Do you do it?

I would do it, but being a "running team" has less to do with personnel and more to do with commitment and mental cycles devoted to that aspect of the offense. Green Bay didn't have to expend a first round pick, let alone a top 10 pick, on a RB to become the solid rushing team they became the last two seasons. I'm not saying that Smith or whoever will turn Brian Hill or Ito Smith into pro bowl rushers, but I don't think we really need wholesale changes on the offense.

Defense is another story though.