Nathaniel Hackett, Arthur Smith or Joe Brady

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hackett He has the most experience and has worked with diverse talent and schemes in the NFL.

That's who I think. I think our offense is built for Hackett. We would probably win right away

YES! Hackett seems like a great HC who knows WCO. He was good with Bortles and amazing with Rodgers. He can def do wonders with Ryan/JJ/CR. Top choice by miles

1 hour ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Columbus was a genocidal maniac.

The moral of my story is nothing more than without risk or taking a chance in life you get no where.

BTW Smith is growing on me and after reading an article on another thread I like him even more. He seems to have the leadership qualities a HC needs. That’s the part that concerns me with Joe Brady. But I’m sure he has a story too. They all do

13 hours ago, PointSwayzee said:

Smith of the 3..I also thinks he grabs either Wilson or Fields if they are their at #4.

No way no how is Smith hitching his long term wagon to Ryan. 

Good thing the GM heads up the draft and not the coach.

13 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

I'm just saying, he is green even for OC. McVay was young but had a lot more experience as a coordinator. If he is a genius? Take a chance. McVay has shown to be a leader. But is Brady able to be both genius and leader as the HC needs to be? You can show out in college...but that isn't the same. We know this. He had a great year with LSU..just short-track record.

I share the same concerns about Brady, one year in college calling plays, one year in nfl calling plays.  Too green at this point in my opinion when other options are out there.

Just now, PriMeTiiMe said:

In general yeah, but who knows how the dynamic really is behind closed doors. 

I get it, I think GMs work with the coaches on scheme and fit and stuff.  I think most new coaches would be happy to have Ryan here for first couple of years just know there is a higher floor.  You have any competent play caller and this offense will look better almost instantly.  Don’t know that with a rookie QB.  I also just can’t see a brand new GM making his first ever pick a backup QB, but I could be wrong.

43 minutes ago, mtldirtybird said:

compared to Stefanski or McVay  or Tomlin when they were hired? Same thing...

Yes compared to all those guys, he's very green.  100% yes.  It's not even close to the same thing.

Stefanski was an NFL coach for 14 years prior to being hired.  He was 37 years old and had been an offensive coordinator the previous 2 seasons.

McVay had been an NFL coach for 7 years and an OC for 3.  He was only 30, but he over twice as much experience at the NFL level as Brady does now, and nearly twice as much period (Brady started as a LB coach at William and Mary in 2013 -- McVay has been a coach in the NFL since 2010).

Tomlin was the greenest, but had been an NFL coach for 6 solid years including a stint as Minnesota's OC the year prior.

Joe Brady was an offensive assistant for the Saints for 2 years and OC for the Panthers last year.  That's it for NFL experience.  He was a passing game coordinator for LSU for 1 year.  That's 4 total years if you include LSU (and note, I included zero college experience for the coaches above.

Yes.  Joe Brady is green.  He is inexperienced.  He might be the next great HC, but it is a huge gamble.

1 hour ago, Rings said:

Good thing the GM heads up the draft and not the coach.

Pretty sure that is going to be discussed ahead of time with any coach, but you are correct that the GM technically choses the players. I assume the Quinn's personnel decisions were ignored and TD just did what he wanted, since by all accounts TD had his balls chopped off after the 14' season and Quinn had final personnel decisions, but I can't disagree with your statement:).

Just now, Dr Long Shot said:

Yea but Bieniemy seems to be out of the running.

I know.  I'll feel better if nobody hires him honestly.  If he bombed all the interviews, then we didn't miss out on anything.

If he ends up being a hot name and takes a team to the Super Bowl in a couple of years.........well, Falcons gonna Falcon.  But Arthur Smith is still my dude, so he's who I hope we're after.

4 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I know.  I'll feel better if nobody hires him honestly.  If he bombed all the interviews, then we didn't miss out on anything.

If he ends up being a hot name and takes a team to the Super Bowl in a couple of years.........well, Falcons gonna Falcon.  But Arthur Smith is still my dude, so he's who I hope we're after.

I think teams are realizing when interviewing him what most fans already believed. He is a nice coach, but he is far from the reason of the Chiefs success. That's all the works of Andy and Patty.

4 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Arthur and Hackett seem like a solid choices. I think both would have our offense humming. 

17 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

I'm just saying, he is green even for OC. McVay was young but had a lot more experience as a coordinator. If he is a genius? Take a chance. McVay has shown to be a leader. But is Brady able to be both genius and leader as the HC needs to be? You can show out in college...but that isn't the same. We know this. He had a great year with LSU..just short-track record.

He's a risk, no doubt. But honestly, this may be a good time to take a chance on a potential offensive guru. If Brady can get a lot out of Ryan, Julio, Ridley etc (and he should) and get some experienced help with running the defense, then we could be competitive already by next season. 

If he can't, then it is time to rebuild the roster anyway, which gives us a window to evaluate Brady as a leader of men and HC. We are in a position to give him a look to see if we think he will be a great HC 5 years from now.

I think, if we are being honest about the state of the franchise, then it is in the best long term interest to take a chance on Brady now. 

Now, is Blank willing to take that shot and have that potential down period, or is he more set on winning now with more experience at the helm? I don't know.

21 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

We need a RB by round 3 this year period. Or sign a low-mileage vet. Both?

That's beyond the question. It's about lining up a run scheme with our current/future shaped OL.

Najee is a luxury. We aren't tied to him with any coach.

Yes there are other backs besides Najee that could help us quickly but getting him might quiet the ones who want to draft a QB at # 4 and they don’t do so.  Just a thought.. 

To answer OP:

Smith

Hackett

Brady (Looks like he’ll be a solid HC some day but I’d like to see some more NFL experience)