Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Bradley is not my favorite writer by any means, but I honestly find most of this hard to argue with.  I'm not saying Pederson is the guy, but I would 100% kick the tires.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/mark-bradley-blog/the-falcons-need-a-coach-doug-pederson-is-available/ECMLDBBZVFG3LFDWIRK7MU7JSM/?ecmp=falcons&utm_medium=social&utm_source=falcons_fb&fbclid=IwAR2WpAphZQ1GOm8nsr4P7KDhjpYL-Kg_IuCq5oS1mfqGR6aCh1uqXvdj3F8

"His regular-season record is 43-37-1. His record in playoff games is 4-2. His record in Super Bowls is 1-0. His record against the Falcons is 3-1. Not quite three years after taking the Eagles to their first title since Norm Van Brocklin was their quarterback, Pederson was fired. Normally a team wouldn’t be eager to hire someone who’d just been canned, but we reference Andy Reid, whom the Eagles – yep, them again – dumped Dec. 31, 2012. He was hired by the Chiefs on Jan. 3, 2013. His record with Kansas City is 91-37. His team is the reigning Super Bowl champ. It might well win again."

It can't hurt to interview the guy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • JDaveG changed the title to Bradley on Pederson
1 minute ago, Lornoth said:

We're not going to choose anyone who's been a HC before. Whether that's a good idea or not I'm not sure but that's just the way it is. We're hungry for the Next big thing. 

I'm just hungry for a big thing.

Can we just get one big thing?  I don't care if it's the next big thing or the last big thing.  I'm tired of a couple of great years (but no chip) and then fall off the cliff.  Give me the trophy.  Then we can talk about the next big thing.  We don't even have the last big thing, unless you count the big 28-3 collapse.  

I don't want any more of those big things.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Wouldn’t be my first choice, and I base that solely on my presumption that Reich and DeFillippo were the engine driving that team....but you can’t argue against his three year run and playoff success

He might not be their first choice either.  But I'd absolutely 100% kick the tires to find out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, Arthur Smith has pretty consistently been the guy I want and I still hope we hire him and I hope the rumors of him being the front runner are true.  But you don't watch a Super Bowl winning coach, who won his Super Bowl in the last 3 years, get fired and say "meh, not interested."

Kick.  The.  Tires.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kick the tires sure but unless he amazes in multiple interviews, I would say pass. Sure he won a superbowl but DQ honestly should have won one too. Their overall records are roughly the same too. And using the example of Reid getting canned only to win it big in KC to support hiring him is nonsense. That has no bearing on his ability to win here (or anywhere else). But that's my opinion. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Xyfiel said:

Reid was a different situation.  He wasn't himself after his son committed suicide.  He needed a fresh start away from Philly.

 

I also think Reid had been in Philly so long that he had worn out his welcome as well.

 

Philly fans wanted something new and turned on him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DonOfThemBirds said:

 

I also think Reid had been in Philly so long that he had work out his welcome as well.

 

Philly fans wanted something new and turned on him.

He had a great/bad run there too.  They were always in the hunt but could never get over the top.

The year they had TO and he just went off on a recently broken leg in the Super Bowl, but they still lost to the Patriots was a back breaker for them.  Not quite 28-3 bad, but man, they were in that game until the very end.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JDaveG said:

He had a great/bad run there too.  They were always in the hunt but could never get over the top.

The year they had TO and he just went off on a recently broken leg in the Super Bowl, but they still lost to the Patriots was a back breaker for them.  Not quite 28-3 bad, but man, they were in that game until the very end.

 

Yeah, the TO and McNabb falling out with Reid put in the middle of it wasn't good either.

 

Philly fans thought that Reid would never win a SB and that they saw the best he had to offer. Philly fans crapped all over Andy when they finally got their SB with Doug Pederson.

 

I'm happy Reid proved that they were wrong and he finally got his. He is one of the NFL's good guys and he deserved his moment. He may do it again this season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

 

I also think Reid had been in Philly so long that he had worn out his welcome as well.

 

Philly fans wanted something new and turned on him.

You flare your nostrils too much when you talk, and Philly fans will cast you out like a lazy-eyed leper with polio and a horizontal butt crack.

I don't think Pederson and Reid comparisons have much validity - yeah they both coached in Philly, but just because Reid resurrected his career elsewhere doesn't mean Pederson can or will. He deserved credit (and chagrin) for bringing a Lombardi to Philly...with a backup QB no less...but I'd be surprised if he got a serious look here. I do think it's worth an interview, especially considering the murmurs that the Philly FO was doing significant meddling (which whoever we hire will probably have to endure some of as well).

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I mean, Arthur Smith has pretty consistently been the guy I want and I still hope we hire him and I hope the rumors of him being the front runner are true.  But you don't watch a Super Bowl winning coach, who won his Super Bowl in the last 3 years, get fired and say "meh, not interested."

Kick.  The.  Tires.

The Eagles being decimated by injuries the last couple years and Wentz losing his confidence has been the problem in Philly. Plus the OL injuries is part Wentz’s problem. I’d kick the tires on him but this place will forever cry that the OC FR was the reason they won the SB the first time we didn’t score 40 points with Doug as HC. 
Just a heads ups lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

He had a great/bad run there too.  They were always in the hunt but could never get over the top.

The year they had TO and he just went off on a recently broken leg in the Super Bowl, but they still lost to the Patriots was a back breaker for them.  Not quite 28-3 bad, but man, they were in that game until the very end.

That was Mcnabb's pride getting in the way IMO.

He was dead set to prove that he was a passing qb and not some scrambler...which is what the sports media tried to make him out to be.

Had he taken some of the running lanes that were there then the iggles could have won the game.

Even Crennel said that if he would have ran then the Pats had nothing to stop him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

 

Yeah, the TO and McNabb falling out with Reid put in the middle of it wasn't good either.

 

Philly fans thought that Reid would never win a SB and that they saw the best he had to offer. Philly fans crapped all over Andy when they finally got their SB with Doug Pederson.

 

I'm happy Reid proved that they were wrong and he finally got his. He is one of the NFL's good guys and he deserved his moment. He may do it again this season.

Gotta love Reid but you mean him and Mahomes may do it again this season. Guarantee Doug Peterson would win with Mahomes

Edited by Atl Falcon
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Pacific_Falcon said:

You flare your nostrils too much when you talk, and Philly fans will cast you out like a lazy-eyed leper with polio and a horizontal butt crack.

I don't think Pederson and Reid comparisons have much validity - yeah they both coached in Philly, but just because Reid resurrected his career elsewhere doesn't mean Pederson can or will. He deserved credit (and chagrin) for bringing a Lombardi to Philly...with a backup QB no less...but I'd be surprised if he got a serious look here. I do think it's worth an interview, especially considering the murmurs that the Philly FO was doing significant meddling (which whoever we hire will probably have to endure some of as well).

 

I think you're not getting the point of what I'm saying.

 

I'm not comparing Reid and Pederson. Just that Reid's time had worn out in Philly due to him being there so long and falling short despite a tremendous resume.

 

Doug Pederson lost both his players and support of the ownership. The owner wanted Wentz while based on reports that many in the locker room really liked Foles. From the looks of his firing, it's seems that Carson Wentz has Jefferey Laurie wrapped around his finger.

 

But I still don't think Doug Pederson is that good of a HC. Wasn't the same after Reich went to be HC of the Colts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

Gotta love Reid but you mean him and Mahomes may do it again this season. Guarantee Doug Peterson would win with Mahomes

 

Having Mahomes is great, but Andy Reid had also compiled a HOF resume during his time in Philly. The Eagles had like 4 or 5 straight NFCCG appearances with a SB appearance under Andy with Donovan McNabb at QB. He was also close to top 10 most winningest HC in NFL history when he left Philly. He's now 6th all time.

 

Both Mahomes and Reid benefit from each other.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

 

Having Mahomes is great, but Any Reid had also compiled a HOF resume during his time in Philly. The Eagles had like 4 or 5 straight NFCCG appearances with a SB appearance under Andy with Donovan McNabb at QB. He was also close to top 10 most winningest HC in NFL history when he left Philly. He's now 6th all time.

 

Both Mahomes and Reid benefit from each other.

Yep Andy’s da sh/+

Link to post
Share on other sites

The guy had four winning seasons and a ring. Then in his first bad season something weird happened and he was let go. If his QB hadn't turned into a vegetable they could have won the division with seven wins. 

There is something they aren't saying about his release. Something sketchy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jesus said:

The guy had four winning seasons and a ring. Then in his first bad season something weird happened and he was let go. If his QB hadn't turned into a vegetable they could have won the division with seven wins. 

There is something they aren't saying about his release. Something sketchy.

 

I believe many relationships turned sour. Not just in the locker room, but in the FO as well.

 

Jeffrey Laurie has recently announced his support for Wentz after firing Pederson.

 

It may be similar to the Mike Shanahan/RG3/Daniel Snyder mess that happened in Washington.

 

....or that Jay Gruden/Dwayne Haskins/Daniel Snyder mess that happened in......... Washington.

 

Daniel Snyder is a terrible owner.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Lornoth said:

We're not going to choose anyone who's been a HC before. Whether that's a good idea or not I'm not sure but that's just the way it is. We're hungry for the Next big thing. 

That is a problem.  Repeating the same mistake over and over.  The definition of insanity is..................

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see why we wouldn't interview him. He's a really good offensive minded coach and I think he can make the adjustments to help MR. Philly is not an easy place to coach much less play. He made a bad decision with Jalen Hurts but I think Philly is even dumber to let him go.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...