31 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Yeah, I could have worded that better.  It can certainly be done this year.  I disagree it frees up a ton of cap for next year though.  The only way it works this season at all is post June 1 and doing that, the 2nd half of the pro-rated bonus still hits the cap next season.

Trading Ryan this year with a 6/1 designation (Id wait another year unless a 1st & 3rd is offered) would result in 17 mill dead money while opening up 23 mill in cap space

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trade Matt for a second in next years draft. Draft a QB 4th overall. Rookie QB busts or is injured. Then what? Draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round next year? Risk wasting a year then.

41million off our cap is as good as a 1st rounder in my eyes.... a 37 year old qb is not 1 round material sorry not sorry😐

Much worse QBs have went for much more. Sam Bradfords corpse went for a 1st and a 4th.

1 minute ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Trading Ryan this year with a 6/1 designation (Id wait another year unless a 1st & 3rd is offered) would result in 17 mill dead money while opening up 23 mill in cap space

Yes.  But next year the pro-rated bonus hits again in that scenario.  You split it over 2 years, which is the point of a post June 1 cut/trade.

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Much worse QBs have went for much more. Sam Bradfords corpse went for a 1st and a 4th.

A much younger Sam Bradford. Nobody is forfeiting a 1st rounder for a 37 QB that only these fans think is elite 

2 minutes ago, jetpac said:

A much younger Sam Bradford. Nobody is forfeiting a 1st rounder for a 37 QB that only these fans think is elite 

Sanu and Hurst, who were both third on the depth chart of their respective positions, got a second rounder last season.  I get you hate Ryan and want to complain about him any chance you get, but at least try and show some intelligence when doing so.

9 minutes ago, jetpac said:

All the haters add a year to his age every time we talk about him.

Ryan is 35.  He'll have just turned 36 when the season starts next year.  He'll still be 35 for OTAs.  He isn't old man effing river.

5 minutes ago, Rings said:

Sanu and Hurst, who were both third on the depth chart of their respective positions, got a second rounder last season.  I get you hate Ryan and want to complain about him any chance you get, but at least try and show some intelligence when doing so.

I don’t hate Matt. I hate we are hanging on to a non play making statue QB. Times have changed. 

32 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I mean, that makes it more attractive. The other team will only be responsible for his base. While I would love a first and a third, I could deal with the others. 

18 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

3 out of the 4 NFC QB's remaining are 'non play making statue QBs'

How much have the times really changed?

I think people are just discussing this wrong. The NFL, which isn't very Falcon Friendly, forced us into this massive contract with Ryan. He's still very productive, but we don't have any wiggle room.

1 minute ago, Killing Floor said:

Look, he's not going anywhere.  Nobody in the league is going to pay him what he's making to stay here.  And the Falcons aren't going to give him up for what he's really worth today in the league.  He can still make status quo here for another season or 2.  

They wouldn't have to. I don't know how many times it has to be said.

24 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

3 out of the 4 NFC QB's remaining are 'non play making statue QBs'

How much have the times really changed?

The thing about Brees is you also have to account for Hill.  I'd agree Brees and Brady aren't particularly mobile but with the Aints calling up a rushing QB for the short 3rds sometimes that's an option most teams don't have.  

Isn't there any way they can both lose?  That would add years to my life.

Just now, Killing Floor said:

The thing about Brees is you also have to account for Hill.  I'd agree Brees and Brady aren't particularly mobile but with the Aints calling up a rushing QB for the short 3rds sometimes that's an option most teams don't have.  

Isn't there any way they can both lose?  That would add years to my life.

That's a good point. When will more teams start doing this? Maybe we should draft a mobile guy in the middle rounds for just such a purpose.

6 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

They wouldn't have to. I don't know how many times it has to be said.

OK, phrased wrong, got me.  I mean the dead money haunts.  If we traded Ryan we would not benefit right now.  We'd be underwater without a QB.  That's why it makes more sense to me to draft his replacement if we can, for the future.  There's no valid reason to entertain it that I can calculate.  Is that wrong?  

5 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

That's a good point. When will more teams start doing this? Maybe we should draft a mobile guy in the middle rounds for just such a purpose.

Is it looked down on?  It's even rare in college ball, U Texas ran a 2 QB system a few years ago, the "18 Wheeler Package" with Tyrone Swoops closing short gains.  The advantage is that it's hard for the D to adjust.  You got up to 110 (?) guys on a D1 squad and you can't snap to some fullback once in a while?  It makes a ton of sense.  

Granted T Hill is an anomaly.  I Ain't for the Aints!  But that dude is a utility knife.  But seems like more teams could pick up on that.  Honestly where we could use some help in the tight game.  Todd Gurley could do it, kidding!  

14 minutes ago, Killing Floor said:

OK, phrased wrong, got me.  I mean the dead money haunts.  If we traded Ryan we would not benefit right now.  We'd be underwater without a QB.  That's why it makes more sense to me to draft his replacement if we can, for the future.  There's no valid reason to entertain it that I can calculate.  Is that wrong?  

Any trade Ryan discussion, at least coming from me, is under the assumption that we are landing a qb at 4. I'm not crazy lol

1 hour ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Of course...they are just reports...but also said Shanny is getting frustrated...

So Shanny is getting frustrated, huh?  Poor baby...that is absolutely delightful...I hope he gets so frustrated that he starts bleeding out of every orifice in his body - he deserves to be more than frustrated after screwing us royally in the SB. In my book, he’s in the same category as James Stone’s boyfriend 

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

All the haters add a year to his age every time we talk about him.

Ryan is 35.  He'll have just turned 36 when the season starts next year.  He'll still be 35 for OTAs.  He isn't old man effing river.

Was scrolling to see if anyone would point this out lol.  Lot of false information in this thread.  

If the Falcons trade Matt and eat a bunch of dead cap it will be the dumbest thing they’ve ever done and that’s saying a lot.  

10 minutes ago, Jumpin Jehosaphat said:

So Shanny is getting frustrated, huh?  Poor baby...that is absolutely delightful...I hope he gets so frustrated that he starts bleeding out of every orifice in his body - he deserves to be more than frustrated after screwing us royally in the SB. In my book, he’s in the same category as James Stone’s boyfriend 

Real talk -- I'd hire him tomorrow.

1 hour ago, celtiksage said:

Dwindling arm? Where do you guys get this stuff? I watched him throw 55 yards in the air this year (at least twice in the last 3 or 4 games). Accuracy and decision-making I could agree with, but arm strength? Come on, man.

Let's not reach. His decision-making is what is baffling. But as bad as we've sucked, maybe he wouldn't be doing that if we had a defense that didn't require a 5 score lead in the last 2 quarters to preserve a win.

The guy had to hit low flying birds on his deep balls, it's why so many are broken up. I can throw a ball 50 yards but it's a duck.