Ryan's Legacy and the Next QB

What hurts me with Matt is, if he didn't have a constant carousel of offensive coordinators using him to achieve a HC position, then his tenure here would've been great. Every coach that has walked thru Flowery Branch since him being drafted has failed this man. Tom Brady, Drew Brees and even Aaron Rodgers in his prime have had the benefit of familiarity when it came to coaches, not Matt Ryan. I'm not like a lot of the fans that want to keep accountability simple for the sake of being edgy or funny.

Even the length of TD's tenure could be attributed to Matt Ryan being able to perform with incomplete teams. We've also seen what he's capable of with an ELITE offensive mind with Shanahan, a freaking MVP season. Matt Ryan has shown me just HOW MUCH the stars have to be aligned to win a championship, there is even more luck than I imagined but also competent leadership in every phase. There is only one Tom Brady... One

Our expectations were entirely too high for Matt. Dude had the highest ambitions for this city; Gave everything, but like I said... Every coach that has come in and out of Flowery Branch since his tenure has failed him.

Edit: Also, the parameters to which I judge a QB will be different in this way.

I will no longer demand a QB to elevate his teams play. Teams that play complementary football make it the furthest, and I expect the next QB to have strengths and weaknesses. So, if the QB isn't playing great, I expect the run game and the defense to bail him out. If the run game isn't working, I expect the QB to help pick up some of the slack and make a few big plays. If neither is working, I want the defense to make a few stops/plays to get the team going momentum-wise. I will not expect a QB to elevate his game/have elite performances for the entire season because the entire team revolves around his play. Nope, I'll never do that foolishness again. I want to see TEAM football and while having a competent QB is apart of that team, I am not looking for us to have an Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady like talent for us to compete. Team ball is championship ball.

Edited by Macintez
41 minutes ago, falcndave said:

Yes...but. Y=f(x). Outputs (Y) are a function (f) of the inputs (x). 

In other words: The inputs of the coaches and players (often stats) are fairly critical to achieving the desired outcome (wins). 

Agreed. And engineering and mathematics degrees so I’m loving the choice of text.  We have a QB who is legendary and he has peaked.  Is he good to hold it together foe another season if the pieces come together?  Sure. But if the team makes the decision to postpone signing his successor until after he’s needed then we will need to take a season starting a rookie.  Right?  And unless we’re 4-12 again we don’t get options like we have today.  

50 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

It really comes down to answering this basic question: in 2022, what option leaves the organization in a better position moving forward:  

• With Ryan: the team will have 62 million in cap space to help build another winner around Ryan.  Ryan will be almost 37 years old at this time

• Without Ryan: the team will have over 119 million to build a team around the newQB plus an additional 1st round pick once Ryan is traded 6/1.  New franchise QB will be 21-22 years old at this time

You don’t really know what the cap situation will be in 2022. The new GM isn’t even here and we saw what 1 year with Covid did.

Get the best players now.

You aren’t moving Ryan this side of June. Is a team gonna wait until June to settle it’s QB situation?

You are also overlooking the possibility the team will NEED to restructure Ryan by March just to be under 2021 cap.

lol

Cap is the last thing the new coach or Gm should consider. That was biggest downfall of TD, he got poor mans version of Top play makers. Saints have been supposedly worse cap **** for a decade, yet they keep signing who they want and draft well. Build a team and win now. Cap is an arbitrary number which can be manipulated in many ways. I want bold GM and HC who wants to build winning team with play makers. Get the talent and win. 

3 hours ago, falcndave said:

My theory? Just win baby. If you win championships, nobody is going to critique your form. If we have a sufficiently strong organization (scouting, coaching, roster/cap management, adaptability, etc.), the next QB will be wildly successful. There is no need to hold prospects to the Ryan standard. 

Terry Bradshaw approves this message!

:mmmhmm:

5 hours ago, falcndave said:

My theory? Just win baby. If you win championships, nobody is going to critique your form. If we have a sufficiently strong organization (scouting, coaching, roster/cap management, adaptability, etc.), the next QB will be wildly successful. There is no need to hold prospects to the Ryan standard. 

That's why I am a believer in fixing the teams many holes above the need to draft the next QB. 

Year after year you see good teams find a QB and compete for a title  while bad teams with top 5 QBs stay bad.

I'm not against taking a QB but we don't need one at 4, if at all this year. We need almost everything else except QB and that is what should be addressed.

12 hours ago, thanat0s said:

I was. The night I saw this kid I'd never heard of whip it around vs Ga Tech, I was like who is that guy, and why isn't he on my team?

I'm all for giving kids a chance, but when my current guy is still playing at a very high level, who that young guy is, is a discussion for a few years down the road. 

2008, week 6.  Bears @ Falcons. Falcons are down 19 to 20 with 11 seconds left on the clock. Harry Douglas returns the ball 10 yards.  6 seconds left.  Matt Ryan drops back, has a rusher in his face, drops a perfect ball into Michael Jenkins and he steps out of bounds with 1 second left on the clock.  Elam kicks the field goal.  Falcons win 22 to 20.

This is when Matt Ryan showed me who he is. Matt Ryan is special. A whole lot of people simply don't appreciate what he's done for this franchise. They don't seem to understand the challenges that Ryan has had to face that a lot of his peers have not had to deal with. How many times has the defense utterly failed him? How many times has Ryan bailed them out despite their ineptitude? And yet, he's consistently been regarded as, "the problem."

Under Mike Mularkey, we decided to, "simplify the playbook," instead of pushing Ryan to develop. We all but abandoned the hurry up offense, even though Matt looked great in it. We almost completely eliminated the deep ball. And yet, Ryan still showed that he was more than capable of carrying his weight if given the opportunity.

Leading up to our Super Bowl in 2016, Matt put up one of the greatest playoff performances in history. In the Superbowl, he put up the highest passer rating of a losing QB ever. We blew a 28-3 lead in 16 minutes of football.  Yet we somehow found a way to blame him for the loss. The following year, trying to fight our way back into the Superbowl by beating the Eagles, Matt delivered a perfect throw in the end zone where only Julio could make a play on the ball...  The ball went through Juilo's hands...  We blamed Matt and Sark for the loss.

There are a lot of really crappy Falcons fans. I kind of wish that before Matt retires that we would trade him to San Francisco or New England so that he'd at least have a real opportunity to solidify his place in the Hall of Fame.

4 hours ago, robertap said:

2008, week 6.  Bears @ Falcons. Falcons are down 19 to 20 with 11 seconds left on the clock. Harry Douglas returns the ball 10 yards.  6 seconds left.  Matt Ryan drops back, has a rusher in his face, drops a perfect ball into Michael Jenkins and he steps out of bounds with 1 second left on the clock.  Elam kicks the field goal.  Falcons win 22 to 20.

This is when Matt Ryan showed me who he is. Matt Ryan is special. A whole lot of people simply don't appreciate what he's done for this franchise. They don't seem to understand the challenges that Ryan has had to face that a lot of his peers have not had to deal with. How many times has the defense utterly failed him? How many times has Ryan bailed them out despite their ineptitude? And yet, he's consistently been regarded as, "the problem."

Under Mike Mularkey, we decided to, "simplify the playbook," instead of pushing Ryan to develop. We all but abandoned the hurry up offense, even though Matt looked great in it. We almost completely eliminated the deep ball. And yet, Ryan still showed that he was more than capable of carrying his weight if given the opportunity.

Leading up to our Super Bowl in 2016, Matt put up one of the greatest playoff performances in history. In the Superbowl, he put up the highest passer rating of a losing QB ever. We blew a 28-3 lead in 16 minutes of football.  Yet we somehow found a way to blame him for the loss. The following year, trying to fight our way back into the Superbowl by beating the Eagles, Matt delivered a perfect throw in the end zone where only Julio could make a play on the ball...  The ball went through Juilo's hands...  We blamed Matt and Sark for the loss.

There are a lot of really crappy Falcons fans. I kind of wish that before Matt retires that we would trade him to San Francisco or New England so that he'd at least have a real opportunity to solidify his place in the Hall of Fame.

That’s a HOF post.

5 hours ago, robertap said:

Greatest QB ever in Falcons history.  Not even up for debate.  And still has good football left in him.