Why the Atlanta Falcons should hire Rick Smith as the General Manager | Atlanta Falcons news | NFL

1 minute ago, Macintez said:

Smith makes the most sense but we have Rich McKay so that won’t happen lol.

McKay is friends with Smith, so I think the opposite is likely true.  Either they want to go in a different direction, or Smith maybe doesn't really want to get into this situation (or even get back into the NFL) right now.

4 minutes ago, Da_Truth said:

That's a good question.  Maybe Arthur wants someone younger or who has recently been involved in building teams via the draft and some FAs.  

Or maybe Blank wants to hire someone better than TD, this would be a lateral move at best, and might even be a down grade.

The love this guy gets for his sub par work in Houston is just astounding.

55 minutes ago, mtldirtybird said:

what's your basis for this statement? Just wondering because they are friends

This I didn’t know... I recant what I said. I would love to have Smith as a GM; He has picked a few of the best players of this generation in Watt and Hopkins. I know we have to do our due diligence but picking Joe Brady as an HC means looking beyond Matt Ryan’s tenure or pretty much giving up on being SB contenders. I could be wrong tho but man that would suck.

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

Smith makes a lot of sense to me as well.  But if he’s their guy,  I wonder why they haven’t hired him by now?

I think its because of due diligence. With the Falcons pounding the table about interviewing as many GM's and coaches as possible and making sure they have considered all options, I think this is why he hasn't been hired. 

...or there are two or three GMs that have all made extremely convincing proposals and cases for why they should be GM. 

I lived in Houston up to about 2 years ago & I always enjoy listening to McClain.  He’s always plugged in & pure enjoyment to listen to.  
I just want to hire good, righteous men who are humble & whose hearts are in the right place.  I think Rick Smith fits that mold. 
I don’t buy into this philosophy of we’d already hired him if we wanted him though.

The fact we haven’t hired one yet bodes well imho.  It shows we’re not limiting our considerations.  It tells me we’re listening to several candidates & how they view our organization both now & in the future.

I’m open to all outcomes. I want to see passion & breakthroughs.  This will be a huge decision that will dynamically affect & effect our franchise & how it is perceived for years to come.

We must evolve for the better.  The team evolved from the Smith era to the AB era then TD helped us get to another level.  But then we began to sputter & lost some respect around the league with poor coaching & OC hires.

The next breakthrough is upon us. We should all be praying that this pick will launch this team to greatness.  

3 hours ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Because he’s cheeks 

I obviously disagree. Any GM with a history is going to have his hits and misses. The difference between him and any of the new guys IMO is he has a track record as a GM while they don’t. And even with his misses, his track record is positive overall.

I personally think what he accomplished in Houston was pretty **** impressive considering all the obstacles he was up against (bad ownership/micromanagement of O’Brien, as well as his own personal life’s distractions et al) while there. I especially admire him for stepping down to be with his wife/family during her tragic illness. I’m not against any of the other candidates I’ve seen as finalist for the job , but I’d co-sign if it’s smith. He’s a high-quality guy both personally as well as professionally. This organization could sure use a GM with his character going forward , IMO.

He’s not cheeks at all. 

1 hour ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

I lived in Houston up to about 2 years ago & I always enjoy listening to McClain.  He’s always plugged in & pure enjoyment to listen to.  
I just want to hire good, righteous men who are humble & whose hearts are in the right place.  I think Rick Smith fits that mold. 
I don’t buy into this philosophy of we’d already hired him if we wanted him though.

The fact we haven’t hired one yet bodes well imho.  It shows we’re not limiting our considerations.  It tells me we’re listening to several candidates & how they view our organization both now & in the future.

I’m open to all outcomes. I want to see passion & breakthroughs.  This will be a huge decision that will dynamically affect & effect our franchise & how it is perceived for years to come.

We must evolve for the better.  The team evolved from the Smith era to the AB era then TD helped us get to another level.  But then we began to sputter & lost some respect around the league with poor coaching & OC hires.

The next breakthrough is upon us. We should all be praying that this pick will launch this team to greatness.  

Excellent, well thought out post hash. Like you, I’m impressed how thorough a job McKay et al are going about this critical hire with their due dilligence.

5 hours ago, Vandy said:

I obviously disagree. Any GM with a history is going to have his hits and misses. The difference between him and any of the new guys IMO is he has a track record as a GM while they don’t. And even with his misses, his track record is positive overall.

I personally think what he accomplished in Houston was pretty **** impressive considering all the obstacles he was up against (bad ownership/micromanagement of O’Brien, as well as his own personal life’s distractions et al) while there. I especially admire him for stepping down to be with his wife/family during her tragic illness. I’m not against any of the other candidates I’ve seen as finalist for the job , but I’d co-sign if it’s smith. He’s a high-quality guy both personally as well as professionally. This organization could sure use a GM with his character going forward , IMO.

He’s not cheeks at all. 

Honestly I don’t care about his personal stuff. I want a good football guy and he doesn’t strike me as such.

13 hours ago, Da_Truth said:

I'd be good with this hire.  He has GM experience and NFL coaching experience with the Broncos.  Was also in the Broncos front office.

His 12 years as GM with Houston they only had 6 winning seasons. They never made it past the divisional round in the playoffs either. No thanks.