Holmes got a second interview

2 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I don't understand the Wade Phillips obsession. The dude is 73 years old. Please....let's find someone who's NFL coaching career started during the Carter Administration.

This is like the people obsessed with wanting a 3-4 defense. I just don't get it.

I want a 3-4 defense because it'd play on our positional strength of LB and it would take one lineman which we don't have anyway, off the field. I also think there's more 3-4 rush backers in this class than there are DE's. If a stud DE was sitting there at 4 I might would have a different opinion.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rams pick well in the lower rounds especially given that they have not had a first round pick since Golf. It speaks well of their college scouting. 

I gotta be honest, I’m slowly sliding away from Fontenot just because of the Joe Brady connection that’s being thrown around.  Holmes could be a solid choice, but a GM has to know more than college sc

Fontenot is also paired to Hackett

Just now, SoCalFalconFan said:

Like many coordinators in the league, he's just not cut out to be a HC. I still believe he's a solid DC. To each his own. 

But nobody was saying that about Dan Quinn. Pete Carroll gets all the credit for Seattle's defense being great. Quinn was just riding Carroll's coattails. That's the narrative here and why everyone thinks Quinn will flop massively as Cowboys DC. If that is the case then the same holds true with Patricia. You can't have it both ways. You can't discredit Quinn for what happened when he was DC with Seattle but turn around and give Patricia credit for what happened when he was DC in New England. Not saying you personally, just saying this board in general. It's the way this place works.

7 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

But nobody was saying that about Dan Quinn. Pete Carroll gets all the credit for Seattle's defense being great. Quinn was just riding Carroll's coattails. That's the narrative here and why everyone thinks Quinn will flop massively as Cowboys DC. If that is the case then the same holds true with Patricia. You can't have it both ways. You can't discredit Quinn for what happened when he was DC with Seattle but turn around and give Patricia credit for what happened when he was DC in New England. Not saying you personally, just saying this board in general. It's the way this place works.

Brother, I know how this place works, I've been on here for over twenty years. I don't find myself rolling with the general consensus in here very often. I happen to believe DQ has a good chance at being a successful DC in Dallas. Was he in a situation in Seattle where he could be credited with Legion of Boom defense singlehandedly? No. But he learned a lot from Carroll. Patricia also learned a lot from maybe the best coach ever. I think he might have picked up on the dude's mannerism, as well, but he was a part of some seriously strong defenses in New England. I don't look solely at what he did or didn't do in Detroit; I look at the whole body of work. The dude is a good defensive coach.

3 hours ago, xSICKxWITHxITx said:

If I'm not mistaken I thought I've read Holmes is tied to A. Smith or B Daboll. I don't remember which one for sure. Leaning towards Smith though.

I like Daboll.... I would not mind Holmes\Daboll.

And we haven't interviewed Daboll yet because he's still in the playoff?

I'm sold on Brad Holmes. Read a Yahoo report about the intangibles who looks for in players when he watched them live in college. Has an Atlanta connection from working under Arthur Trische with the Hawks. Worked his way up the ranks and is a very impressive evaluator. Wouldn't be starting off with the best cap situation here, but he'll definitely bring talent.

8 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Of note on Holmes/Terry.

Let's say the Rams are eliminated this weekend.  Which I think we all expect.  That will be telling.  If we hire Holmes, then we sort of know that some rumored options could be off the table (Joe Brady for one).  If we don't, then we know they're waiting for Fontenot and we're all praying he's available the following week because otherwise the blankety-blanking blank Aints are going to the Super Bowl.

On the other hand, if the Rams lose and we hire Holmes, and we DON'T hire a coach immediately, you can assume we're not after Brady, Staley, Morris, Saleh or Smith, and if Tampa is eliminated, you can also cross Bowles off the list.  That would mean we're looking at Hackett or Bieniemy, since both of them (under my scenario) would still be playing and therefore cannot be hired.  If we hire a GM and no coach is hired, we're waiting for our guy.

Really, the worst case scenario for us is if the Saints and Rams both win, because then everything will be as clear as mud unless they hire a coach in the meantime (which could easily happen).  Even then, say the Rams knock off Green Bay and then we announce Hackett.  Okay, so which GM are we getting?  My guess is by that time we'll have some rumors as we did when Quinn was hired and when Shanahan left for SF.  But if the Saints and Rams win, we'll all have to wait a little longer to find out what's up.  If either or both lose, things will begin to clear up pretty quickly.

14 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Let's say the Rams are eliminated this weekend.  Which I think we all expect.  That will be telling.  If we hire Holmes, then we sort of know that some rumored options could be off the table (Joe Brady for one).  If we don't, then we know they're waiting for Fontenot and we're all praying he's available the following week because otherwise the blankety-blanking blank Aints are going to the Super Bowl.

On the other hand, if the Rams lose and we hire Holmes, and we DON'T hire a coach immediately, you can assume we're not after Brady, Staley, Morris, Saleh or Smith, and if Tampa is eliminated, you can also cross Bowles off the list.  That would mean we're looking at Hackett or Bieniemy, since both of them (under my scenario) would still be playing and therefore cannot be hired.  If we hire a GM and no coach is hired, we're waiting for our guy.

Really, the worst case scenario for us is if the Saints and Rams both win, because then everything will be as clear as mud unless they hire a coach in the meantime (which could easily happen).  Even then, say the Rams knock off Green Bay and then we announce Hackett.  Okay, so which GM are we getting?  My guess is by that time we'll have some rumors as we did when Quinn was hired and when Shanahan left for SF.  But if the Saints and Rams win, we'll all have to wait a little longer to find out what's up.  If either or both lose, things will begin to clear up pretty quickly.

This is why I said it was telling that Rick Smith isn't hired yet, because there's nothing stopping the Falcons from hiring him right now. Sure, they may be doing their due diligence, but I'd think that if they were so enamored with him, they would already have a conditional offer in place at least.

13 minutes ago, Mr.11 said:

This is why I said it was telling that Rick Smith isn't hired yet, because there's nothing stopping the Falcons from hiring him right now. Sure, they may be doing their due diligence, but I'd think that if they were so enamored with him, they would already have a conditional offer in place at least.

Yeah, I think Smith is likely still in the back of their minds but they seem to be moving toward Holmes or Fontenot.

Also, it's possible they're waiting on their GM's team to stop playing so they can make some decisions, but let's say they have decided they want Fontenot.  They could hire Joe Brady today.  They haven't.  My guess is those rumors were just based on loose association and nothing more.  Same with Saleh and Morris.  They're available, and if either GM candidate was pushing either one, we can hire them now.

3 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

I think it'll be Holmes and Brady. I'm not aware of any formal connection between the two but after seeing first hand the impact McVay has had on the Rams, I think a young guy like Brady (who is often likened to McVay) will appeal. 

I think the comparison is so surface-level.  Here is McVay's experience before becoming HC of the Rams:

Here is Joe Brady's:

So you have a guy who coached for 9 seasons for Tampa Bay (under Gruden), and Washington (under the Shanahans and Jay Gruden), with a 1-year stint with the Tuskers in the 2nd of those 9 years.  Then you have a guy who has 2 seasons as an offensive assistant in New Orleans and 1 season as the OC of the Panthers, the latter of which was hardly spectacular, with 1 season doing a phenomenal job as the passing game coordinator at LSU sandwiched in between.  Prior to that, he was a linebacker coach at William & Mary and a grad assistant at Penn State.

Pretending Brady is anywhere near as prepared for an NFL HC job as McVay is insane.

5 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Pretending Brady is anywhere near as prepared for an NFL HC job as McVay is insane.

Yeah its crazy that a lot of people are convinced that he's the new whiz kid but I haven't seen anything so far that would make be believe it. If he's the guy, I'm gonna support him (until I have a reason not to lol), but he makes me nervous as hel. 

4 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

Yeah its crazy that a lot of people are convinced that he's the new whiz kid but I haven't seen anything so far that would make be believe it. If he's the guy, I'm gonna support him (until I have a reason not to lol), but he makes me nervous as hel. 

Same.  I'm not saying he can't be good, or even great.  I'm saying he has a crap ton more red flags than McVay, and the only real similarities are their ages and the fact that both are reputed to be offensive whiz kids.

18 hours ago, Fernando C. said:

He should be the one... rams draft have gotten better and better.. they always find talent.. he is in charge of COLLEGE scouting.. not like the saints guys is PRO... si get him now...

I'd be fine with him. I do like it when teams are built more evenly, rather than being successful because of one mega star. 

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

Mindblown Galaxy GIF - Mindblown Mind Blown - Discover & Share GIFs

John C Reilly GIFs | Tenor

:ninja:

15 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

But Patricia can be a turd and the players don’t like him. Maybe it worked at NE because of BB being the HMFIC and not allowing his nonsense. The Lions players had No respect for the guy. He rode BBs coattail imo. Maybe maybe not...but Patricia even tho highly intelligent can do and say dumb things sometimes. Heck I’d rather have Rex Ryan as  DC at least his players love him. 

I'd take Rex as DC on my team any day of the week. I can only assume he doesn't want to DC and wants to be a HC again, because flakey or not, that guy has always been able to get the most out of a defense.  

14 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I think the comparison is so surface-level.  Here is McVay's experience before becoming HC of the Rams:

Here is Joe Brady's:

So you have a guy who coached for 9 seasons for Tampa Bay (under Gruden), and Washington (under the Shanahans and Jay Gruden), with a 1-year stint with the Tuskers in the 2nd of those 9 years.  Then you have a guy who has 2 seasons as an offensive assistant in New Orleans and 1 season as the OC of the Panthers, the latter of which was hardly spectacular, with 1 season doing a phenomenal job as the passing game coordinator at LSU sandwiched in between.  Prior to that, he was a linebacker coach at William & Mary and a grad assistant at Penn State.

The comparisons made between the two are less about experience but more around their personalities and work ethic. Sure they are both young, offensive minded coaches - that is surface level. But I was alluding to things like how cerebral they both are, their reputation for preparing game plans and drawing up plays, crazy work ethics, great communicators and both being incredibly driven.