It's extremely odd that there are posters here who look down on others because we don't want to give a good drafting divisional rival two additional picks. That's just being a smart competitor. If another team hires him so be it, but it doesn't have to be us. 

We have no idea if this guy can draft and Holmes is an Atlanta guy who has shown for years he has a solid draft record in LA.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You people gotta get over the whole Saint connection.  Honestly.  Are you 12?

Td was a first time gm, les snead was a first time gm, ect ect. Stop overthinking it. Its building a football team, not nuclear warheads.

Devonta Freeman got signed by the Bills today... thats pretty cool.

49 minutes ago, ATLSAGE said:

Gotcha. Yeah, I feel like the Falcons brand has been stale for a while. If we can build a new defined culture/identity, the people will come out and support. I still can't believe we haven't played a playoff game in the Benz yet. I'm still gonna support regardless.

If we win people will show up. Trust me. Even new fans. We need a new fanbase.

8 minutes ago, Black Francis said:

That means you will be leaving, right? 

Nope. Been watching since 1966. Fan since 1970. STH from 1989. TATF member since 2001. In for the long haul. Win lose or draw. Will never tank. Ever. Even at 0-15. Totally hunkered down. No matter who the owner, FO or players are. True fan of all GA teams.

3 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

There are legit concerns about him...but being a member of the saints organization is not really one of them.

Our franchises have been intertwined for a long long time and we have traded players and coaches for a long long time .

I mean the greatest kicker in our history ( one of the greatest ever) was a saint.

As a tween one of my favorite players was Craig Heyward.....who was like a lineman in the backfield...he was a saint at one point.

Those are just two of the many......many guys who have spent time for each franchise.

I won’t stand for this $$$ Matt Bryant $$$ slander!! (Pretends he wasn’t a Buc :ninja:)

Foremost, GM’s must be excellent talent evaluators. This is followed by who they trust and hire into the teams scouting department.

What is frustrating is even if you get the right GM, it’s still and always will be a crap shoot on most of the players you bring in. Rounds 1 & 2 yes you should expect to get a solid starter. Rounds 3 thru 7 the percentage of draftees making the team drops off tremendously. UDFA, who knows. Free agents you bring in from other teams, usually they have a good track record you can go by; but whether or not they’re going to stay healthy and play is always a high risk.

At the end of the day, still a lot of luck and misnomers to deal with.

46 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Nope. Been watching since 1966. Fan since 1970. STH from 1989. TATF member since 2001. In for the long haul. Win lose or draw. Will never tank. Ever. Even at 0-15. Totally hunkered down. No matter who the owner, FO or players are. True fan of all GA teams.

This isn't Game of Thrones, we don't need your resume to House FFS70 when you introduce yourself.

Study up on those comp picks, it would be a better use of your time :)  Still waiting on your response to the new policy I posted...maybe the 4th time proving you wrong will be enough for it to sink in?

4 hours ago, k-train said:

If he takes NO's top scout & promotes them to the role of Director of College Scouting, what's the issue? We will have then taken away two significant parts of a divisional opponent's staff.

Can’t take Fontenot and our top scout. One or the other, champ. ;)

4 hours ago, athell said:

He has a part in college scouting as well.  His hands are in their entire roster.

Our drafts pre-2016 are definitely a doozy.

3 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

had to google what the **** a yokel was

****in’ dead! :lol:

2 hours ago, celtiksage said:

He was also sitting at the scouting combine with their GM in 2015. I'm sure he's picked up a thing or two about scouting college players.

You haven’t looked at our 2015 draft recently, have you? It’s not the barometer of success I’d be trying to prop Fontenot on...

4 of the 9 played 2 seasons or less (2 of which never played a down in the NFL), 1 never made it to a second contract, 1 bounced around between 3 teams and likely is finished after this year, and only 3 of them are still in the league.

Peat and Williams are both on our roster and Davison is on y’all’s.

15 minutes ago, Rings said:

Joe Horn was the best thing that ever happened to Roddy White.

Yeah, I’m still salty about that...

:argh:

17 minutes ago, athell said:

You all have been on fire since though.  Hit after hit.  Sunk my dang battleship.

That we have, but those I heavily attribute to the combination of Ireland, Payton, and Loomis.

The ones before make me want to cry, like our 2014 draft (outside of Cooks), our 2012 draft (outside of Hicks), or our 2011 draft (outside of Jordan and Ingram). :bang:

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

It takes a real fan to stick with the Falcons that’s for sure. 

1 hour ago, Iron Saint said:

You haven’t looked at our 2015 draft recently, have you? It’s not the barometer of success I’d be trying to prop Fontenot on...

4 of the 9 played 2 seasons or less (2 of which never played a down in the NFL), 1 never made it to a second contract, 1 bounced around between 3 teams and likely is finished after this year, and only 3 of them are still in the league.

Peat and Williams are both on our roster and Davison is on y’all’s.

Yeah, I’m still salty about that...

:argh:

Haha I bet you are. But the knock on him around here is he doesn't know how to scout college talent. It's not like he's twiddling his thumbs (and likely didn't have the final say about who was drafted). It doesn't matter who you drafted in 2015. The point is, he knows what it is to scout and even draft players. (And hopefully he'll learn from his bosses mistakes where that 2015 draft is concerned). 😂😂

6 hours ago, ATLSAGE said:

I wasn't a big Jim Mora Jr fan. Petrino was one of the worst coach hirings in recent memory. Mike Smith made us respectable/consistent and then it flamed out. Quinn had his issues as well. Falcons do not have a great track record of coach hirings.

Arthur Blank mentioned in the Vick documentary that he never should've fired Dan Reeves and I agree 100%. 

Mora had us in the NFC title game in his first season.  The last 3 coaches not named Petrino have gotten us to the NFCCG or further.  I would say Blank's record has been respectable at the very least.  We can definitely do better but none of his hires have been colossal flops outside of Petrino and there were extenuating circumstances (ie. His franchise QB was about to spend the next year in prison).  

23 minutes ago, Fernando C. said:

I know, that is why I don't want to find what he can do with my team.. better get Holmes or Smith.. 

so who would head our pro department and deal with free agents, because Holmes does none of that.  In fact he’s never even been associated with anything outside of college scouting. 

31 minutes ago, autigerfan said:

Mora had us in the NFC title game in his first season.  The last 3 coaches not named Petrino have gotten us to the NFCCG or further.  I would say Blank's record has been respectable at the very least.  We can definitely do better but none of his hires have been colossal flops outside of Petrino and there were extenuating circumstances (ie. His franchise QB was about to spend the next year in prison).  

"Respectable" is a good way to put it. Petrino is known to be a dirtbag in general so I can't blame AB for that. I just wish we could have stability at HC (Tomlin, Reid, Payton, Carrol, Belichick, John Harbaugh) instead of having a guy come in for 3-5 years and then gets stale. 

Edited by ATLSAGE
12 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

HARD pass on McKay.  It’s been rumored that McKay is trying to step down from being so involved.

I think this whole Fontenot only being involved in pro scouting is being overblown.

He's been with the Saints personnel department for 16 years. I'm sure he has a pretty diverse understanding of how stuff works across other parts of the department.

He will also more than likely bring some guys with him in promotion to head both the pro and college scouting.