20 minutes ago, athell said:

You people gotta get over the whole Saint connection.  Honestly.  Are you 12?

I know you’re being sarcastic but i just don’t feel Comfortable with our future and biggest offseason ever being run by a Saints lifer...  sure he wants the best for himself but can’t help but think he will always love the Saints our most hated rival much more than he will ever love the Falcons im just not feeling him

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You people gotta get over the whole Saint connection.  Honestly.  Are you 12?

Td was a first time gm, les snead was a first time gm, ect ect. Stop overthinking it. Its building a football team, not nuclear warheads.

Devonta Freeman got signed by the Bills today... thats pretty cool.

1 minute ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Well he did not pick Arian so to speak, he went undrafted lol but yes that was a good signing. If theirs any position an undrafted player can be found easiest though it would be RB. The fact he drafted for 12 years in Houston and Ben Jones is the best guy you can think of should tell you all you need to know.

I honestly can give you more examples but I already created a Rick Smith thread months ago when TD was fired and in that thread we listed the guys. He has a trend of picking good players. Clowney is still a solid pro too.

22 minutes ago, ATLSAGE said:

TD did a serviceable job as GM for us but he definitely made a bunch a bad moves. Same with Les Snead giving big contracts to Goff and Gurley. I'm not against a first time GM, I just don't see how he could be more appealing than some of the other candidates. I'll trust AB but his track record with hirings isn't the best and I want Fontenot to work out if he comes here. I'm looking for opinions on what Fontenot has done to make him the front runner.

Blank's track record for hiring hasn't been bad.  Each head coach and GM he has hired outside of Petrino has had at least some success.  McKay did some good things while he was here as well but many are quick to forget (Acquiring Abraham, Coleman, Roddy White, DeAngelo Hall to name a few).  

Just now, ATLSAGE said:

I honestly can give you more examples but I already created a Rick Smith thread months ago when TD was fired and in that thread we listed the guys. He has a trend of picking good players. Clowney is still a solid pro too.

Clowney was the #1 pick in the draft, I sure hope so.

I am talking about in Rounds 2-7. In large part, He failed miserably. TD drafted far better than him.

33 minutes ago, ATLSAGE said:

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm really not feeling Terry Fontenot. Other than working for the Saints for 16 years in various roles and basking in their success for the past 10+ years, I don't see the appeal. Maybe if we gave Terry an Assistant GM role, I'd be down but I feel like he will be learning on the job if he's given the keys to the castle. I know it sounds stupid but potentially hiring a Louisiana native and Saint employee leaves a bad taste in my mouth too. Can someone please convince me that we would be in better hands with him than Rick Smith? At least he's been a GM before and has made crucial decisions for a franchise.

Not our job to convince you.  If you don't like it, so be it...  If you come around, so be it...   Life is too short bud

2 minutes ago, JetJones11 said:

I know you’re being sarcastic but i just don’t feel Comfortable with our future and biggest offseason ever being run by a Saints lifer...  sure he wants the best for himself but can’t help but think he will always love the Saints our most hated rival much more than he will ever love the Falcons im just not feeling him

I'm not being sarcastic.  At all.  You gotta get over it.  That's not how business works. 

A Joe Brady and Terry Fontenot combination, while I'm not the biggest fan of that, I wouldn't be totally against it. You have a young offensive minded head coach combined with a black GM who can put a culture change in this franchise. Like I said before, not the biggest fan. My biggest concern with Joe Brady is that his resume is really being dictated by what he did with LSU and Joe Burrow in college football for ONE season. What has Joe Brady done on a consistent basis year after year outside of 2019. Is he really that worthy of a head coaching job already? After only 1 year in Carolina as an OC who was on a team who finished 5-11? IDK about that folks. 

2 minutes ago, autigerfan said:

Blank's track record for hiring hasn't been bad.  Each head coach and GM he has hired outside of Petrino has had at least some success.  McKay did some good things while he was here as well but many are quick to forget (Acquiring Abraham, Coleman, Roddy White, DeAngelo Hall to name a few).  

I wasn't a big Jim Mora Jr fan. Petrino was one of the worst coach hirings in recent memory. Mike Smith made us respectable/consistent and then it flamed out. Quinn had his issues as well. Falcons do not have a great track record of coach hirings.

Arthur Blank mentioned in the Vick documentary that he never should've fired Dan Reeves and I agree 100%. 

There are legit concerns about him...but being a member of the saints organization is not really one of them.

Our franchises have been intertwined for a long long time and we have traded players and coaches for a long long time .

I mean the greatest kicker in our history ( one of the greatest ever) was a saint.

As a tween one of my favorite players was Craig Heyward.....who was like a lineman in the backfield...he was a saint at one point.

Those are just two of the many......many guys who have spent time for each franchise.

8 minutes ago, Gee-Q said:

Not our job to convince you.  If you don't like it, so be it...  If you come around, so be it...   Life is too short bud

I didn't expect someone to get so philosophical over football. I'm just having fun arguing about who we think is the best GM. I know its a game.

2 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Here is my concern with that.

He has "a hand"

How much of a hand?

Sean Payton runs the show there and any player acquired gets his stamp.

How much of a hand does anyone have in anything?  People forget every franchise is run by a collect of people, it's not just 1 person.  Just because person a has a bigger hand in the college scouting doesn't mean his scouts are the ones feeding him the pertinent information and he is just relaying the info on and making the pick.

If you ask me, I want a guy who has his hands in as many areas as possible, picking things up from everyone and everywhere, seeing what works, seeing what didn't, and has the right vision and mindset for the job.  Fontenot more than fits that bill.

And moreseo, he has been around to play a hand in turning the perennial 7-9 Saints teams, with prolific offenses, trash defenses, no lines, to a perennial super bowl contenders whose strengths lie on the lines and run game.

Just now, athell said:

How much of a hand does anyone have in anything?  People forget every franchise is run by a collect of people, it's not just 1 person.  Just because person a has a bigger hand in the college scouting doesn't mean his scouts are the ones feeding him the pertinent information and he is just relaying the info on and making the pick.

If you ask me, I want a guy who has his hands in as many areas as possible, picking things up from everyone and everywhere, seeing what works, seeing what didn't, and has the right vision and mindset for the job.  Fontenot more than fits that bill.

How does he fit that bill more than Rick Smith though? Rick Smith has done all of that and has more experience. 

27 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

I have a bad feeling it will be Rick Smith and their just doing their due diligence. He is complete trash though as a GM. Him drafting after the 1st round is the equivalent of him putting the entire draft class of names in a hat and randomly grabbing one. If you want to induce vomiting, I highly suggest torturing yourself into looking at his past drafts Rounds 2-7. Fair Warning: It's bad. Really...Really bad.

You are absolutely wrong  look at his draft record and how many players are still in the league. His only knock took him a while to hit on WR and QBs. Other than that solid draft.

@Refried BeansBeans if you can drop that link again please.

Just now, athell said:

This tells me you haven't read up on Terry Fontenot...

I honestly have and that's why I'm coming here to ask you guys to help talk me down lol. I'm not against him and I think there's a chance he'll be successful. I just don't see how his resume stacks up with my guy Rick lol.

1 minute ago, Fernando C. said:

yeah I get it... you are out of argument so you start to insult.. 

No I seriously have no idea what you mean by "He was a Scout when Saints drafts were the same as TD..."

What does that even mean?

Also you are oddly fired up over this GM search.  Settle down there fella, take a breath.