I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm really not feeling Terry Fontenot. Other than working for the Saints for 16 years in various roles and basking in their success for the past 10+ years, I don't see the appeal. Maybe if we gave Terry an Assistant GM role, I'd be down but I feel like he will be learning on the job if he's given the keys to the castle. I know it sounds stupid but potentially hiring a Louisiana native and Saint employee leaves a bad taste in my mouth too. Can someone please convince me that we would be in better hands with him than Rick Smith? At least he's been a GM before and has made crucial decisions for a franchise.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You people gotta get over the whole Saint connection.  Honestly.  Are you 12?

Td was a first time gm, les snead was a first time gm, ect ect. Stop overthinking it. Its building a football team, not nuclear warheads.

Devonta Freeman got signed by the Bills today... thats pretty cool.

7 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Td was a first time gm, les snead was a first time gm, ect ect. Stop overthinking it. Its building a football team, not nuclear warheads.

TD did a serviceable job as GM for us but he definitely made a bunch a bad moves. Same with Les Snead giving big contracts to Goff and Gurley. I'm not against a first time GM, I just don't see how he could be more appealing than some of the other candidates. I'll trust AB but his track record with hirings isn't the best and I want Fontenot to work out if he comes here. I'm looking for opinions on what Fontenot has done to make him the front runner.

Edited by ATLSAGE
1 minute ago, athell said:

You people gotta get over the whole Saint connection.  Honestly.  Are you 12?

I shouldn't have mentioned it in my first post because I was only kidding. I'm not against Fontenot only because he's a Saint employee.

11 minutes ago, ATLSAGE said:

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm really not feeling Terry Fontenot. Other than working for the Saints for 16 years in various roles and basking in their success for the past 10+ years, I don't see the appeal. Maybe if we gave Terry an Assistant GM role, I'd be down but I feel like he will be learning on the job if he's given the keys to the castle. I know it sounds stupid but potentially hiring a Louisiana native and Saint employee leaves a bad taste in my mouth too. Can someone please convince me that we would be in better hands with him than Rick Smith? At least he's been a GM before and has made crucial decisions for a franchise.

Why are you not feeling Fontenot? Convince us he's the wrong person for the job 

2 minutes ago, ATLSAGE said:

I shouldn't have mentioned it in my first post because I was only kidding. I'm not against Fontenot only because he's a Saint employee.

I mean you said it, so you have to at least partly feel it right?  Otherwise why say it at all?

I hate the Saints as much as the next guy, but if Fontenot gives the Falcons the best chance at building a perennial contender, you bite the bullet right?  I get the hate, but at the end of the day it's business.  I'd encourage you to read the write ups on him and search youtube for some videos on him, specifically prior to drafts.  His hands are all over the Saints roster, especially since Pace left.  He would be a good get.

1 minute ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Why are you not feeling Fontenot? Convince us he's the wrong person for the job 

My biggest knock is that he doesn't have a college scouting background. Hopefully, he has a network of scouts he trusts and maybe they leave NOLA for ATL but I'm still not finding any proof based on basic google research. Rick Smith checks a lot of those boxes for me.

I mean you said it, so you have to at least partly feel it right?  Otherwise why say it at all?

I hate the Saints as much as the next guy, but if Fontenot gives the Falcons the best chance at building a perennial contender, you bite the bullet right?  I get the hate, but at the end of the day it's business.  I'd encourage you to read the write ups on him and search youtube for some videos on him, specifically prior to drafts.  His hands are all over the Saints roster, especially since Pace left.  He would be a good get.

That's the thing. I've gone down rabbit holes on all of the candidates and Rick Smith is the guy for me. My belief is that Fontenot must be killing it in the interviews with ownership and he may have a dope vision for this team. We can only trust the people in the room to make that decision. I was just hoping I could get some info from fellow fans/Fontenot supporters.

1 minute ago, ATLSAGE said:

That's the thing. I've gone down rabbit holes on all of the candidates and Rick Smith is the guy for me. My belief is that Fontenot must be killing it in the interviews with ownership and he may have a dope vision for this team. We can only trust the people in the room to make that decision. I was just hoping I could get some info from fellow fans/Fontenot supporters.

I like Smith.  I like Fontenot.  I don't know if we can go wrong with either tbh.  

So since you have gone down the rabbit hole, what have you not liked about what you have discovered about Fontenot?

1 minute ago, ATLSAGE said:

I have a bad feeling it will be Rick Smith and their just doing their due diligence. He is complete trash though as a GM. Him drafting after the 1st round is the equivalent of him putting the entire draft class of names in a hat and randomly grabbing one. If you want to induce vomiting, I highly suggest torturing yourself into looking at his past drafts Rounds 2-7. Fair Warning: It's bad. Really...Really bad.

20 minutes ago, ATLSAGE said:

Castle? :lol:

You're acting like they just found some yokel that hates the Falcons (but somehow knows nothing else about football) getting sloshed on sazeracs while eating gator nuggets at a bayou barbecue.

The dude has been in a significant role in the front office of one of the most consistently successful NFL franchises for over a decade & a half.

Pretty sure he wouldn't be getting interviews if he wasn't qualified, didn't have connections, etc.

8 minutes ago, ATLSAGE said:

My biggest knock is that he doesn't have a college scouting background. Hopefully, he has a network of scouts he trusts and maybe they leave NOLA for ATL but I'm still not finding any proof based on basic google research. Rick Smith checks a lot of those boxes for me.

THIS RIGHT HERE! IMO that has to be a top priority for the next GM and the reason why Fontenot is further down the list for me. Why I prefer Holmes, Dodds, Brown, etc. 

I like Smith.  I like Fontenot.  I don't know if we can go wrong with either tbh.  

So since you have gone down the rabbit hole, what have you not liked about what you have discovered about Fontenot?

For me, there isn't a glaring negative on Terry's resume. I'm just comparing him to the candidate I want. Rick Smith's drafting record can be commended because he has hand picked some Hall of Famers (Watson, Watt, DHop). I think he could come in right away with the scouts he had in Houston and assemble a stronger front office than Fontenot.

6 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

I have a bad feeling it will be Rick Smith and their just doing their due diligence. He is complete trash though as a GM. Him drafting after the 1st round is the equivalent of him putting the entire draft class of names in a hat and randomly grabbing one. If you want to induce vomiting, I highly suggest torturing yourself into looking at his past drafts Rounds 2-7. Fair Warning: It's bad. Really...Really bad.

Arian Foster was an underrated undrafted guy Rick Smith picked. Ben Jones is the Center in Tennessee right now and is a good player. All GMs have made bad picks. I just see a pattern of him coming away with impact players more often than not.

5 minutes ago, k-train said:

You're acting like they just found some yokel that hates the Falcons (but somehow knows nothing else about football) getting sloshed on sazeracs while eating gator nuggets at a bayou barbecue.

The dude has been in a significant role in the front office of one of the most consistently successful NFL franchises for over a decade & a half.

Pretty sure he wouldn't be getting interviews if he wasn't qualified, didn't have connections, etc.

I feel like I'm being misunderstood. I'm not saying he's not qualified. I'm just asking his supporters what makes him more qualified than others.

Just now, chris2010 said:

THIS RIGHT HERE! IMO that has to be a top priority for the next GM and the reason why Fontenot is further down the list for me. Why I prefer Holmes, Dodds, Brown, etc. 

If he takes NO's top scout & promotes them to the role of Director of College Scouting, what's the issue? We will have then taken away two significant parts of a divisional opponent's staff.

Just now, ATLSAGE said:

Arian Foster was an underrated undrafted guy Rick Smith picked. Ben Jones is the Center in Tennessee right now and is a good player. All GMs have made bad picks. I just see a pattern of him coming away with impact players more often than not.

Well he did not pick Arian so to speak, he went undrafted lol but yes that was a good signing. If theirs any position an undrafted player can be found easiest though it would be RB. The fact he drafted for 12 years in Houston and Ben Jones is the best guy you can think of should tell you all you need to know.