On 1/12/2021 at 12:45 PM, kiwifalcon said:

What about corner and safety and pass rush.

You know there’s a certain point in time where we have to prioritise defense.

We have right now 5 1st rounders on that offensive line yet we go there again and still complain about defense on game day.

Nope times gotta change round here.There’s more than enough on thee Oline we just need it to be utilised correctly.

I don't completely disagree but OLine really is the bigger need. TD/Quinn really were a dog and pony show as co-GM/talent-getters; it was a lot of shiny toys and skill guys with a much much lesser focus on quality DLine, Oline, special team players, and depth. Coaching will be the tell-tale sign exactly how talented the whole roster is.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What about corner and safety and pass rush. You know there’s a certain point in time where we have to prioritise defense. We have right now 5 1st rounders on that offensive line yet we go th

Get him first and then get your RB.  

And I guarantee they would make that exact pick again.  A great running game will keep the defense off of the field thus protecting them. I'm failing to see how a great offensive line would

On 1/12/2021 at 10:45 AM, kiwifalcon said:

We have right now 5 1st rounders on that offensive line yet we go there again and still complain about defense on game day.

Nope times gotta change round here.There’s more than enough on thee Oline we just need it to be utilised correctly.

Problem with this is that the OL still isn't very good. Drafting OL was not TD's strength. At some point, those 1st rounders become "sunk costs", and a good businessman will know when to move on from bad investments. Fact is that even if we have 4 solid OL, we still have a glaring hole at guard. 

I am a firm believer that a strong running game makes the WHOLE team better, so get that fixed, and your defense benefits significantly too. I am on the Sewell train at 4.

I overall agree and want to see a coach who can have a thriving line without significant investments at every position, but you still have to get the best value out of a top 5-10 pick and if Slater is the next Zack Martin and the defensive players are not of that caliber, it's hard to pass on a likely Hall of Famer. 

26 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Problem with this is that the OL still isn't very good. Drafting OL was not TD's strength. At some point, those 1st rounders become "sunk costs", and a good businessman will know when to move on from bad investments. Fact is that even if we have 4 solid OL, we still have a glaring hole at guard. 

I am a firm believer that a strong running game makes the WHOLE team better, so get that fixed, and your defense benefits significantly too. I am on the Sewell train at 4.

This is why we’ve hired a guy like AS.He’s proven why scheme is so important to help this group.The only investment needed really is at C & LG depth for the most part.When people say we are bad I’ll say we weren’t as good as we should be for a number of reasons and I’ll start with DK and his staff who are all gone now.

12 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

I overall agree and want to see a coach who can have a thriving line without significant investments at every position, but you still have to get the best value out of a top 5-10 pick and if Slater is the next Zack Martin and the defensive players are not of that caliber, it's hard to pass on a likely Hall of Famer. 

I mean yes but you can make that discussion up with any of these picks coming out.

13 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

This is why we’ve hired a guy like AS.He’s proven why scheme is so important to help this group.The only investment needed really is at C & LG depth for the most part.When people say we are bad I’ll say we weren’t as good as we should be for a number of reasons and I’ll start with DK and his staff who are all gone now.

I mean yes but you can make that discussion up with any of these picks coming out.

I'm not one of the, "it was all DK's fault" guys. The OL has to have some accountability as well. It is entirely possible that AS will be fine with the OL as it is, but I doubt it. Drafting Sewell makes ANY OL better, and we need to get better there.

So many folks bang on TD for his lack of success at drafting trench guys, but then they want to blame ALL of the OL's issues on DK? That doesn't even make sense. DK wasn't the entire problem.

1 hour ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I'm not one of the, "it was all DK's fault" guys. The OL has to have some accountability as well. It is entirely possible that AS will be fine with the OL as it is, but I doubt it. Drafting Sewell makes ANY OL better, and we need to get better there.

So many folks bang on TD for his lack of success at drafting trench guys, but then they want to blame ALL of the OL's issues on DK? That doesn't even make sense. DK wasn't the entire problem.

I think quite differently about the Falcons the last 3 years I think what’s happend off the field is thee biggest reason why we are in this hole.

Coaching especially across the board has cost us it’s thee biggest reason in my eyes we were and have been rocks or diamonds.

If AS and co can’t turn around this record quick we really are in some trouble.I’m hoping the scheme change and thee addition of new talent and thought process help this.

Theres enough here to get back in the hunt quickly if we maximise what we have Oline included.

2 hours ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

TD's OLine picks haven't been bad. DLine yes, OLine has been a lot of scheme problems and a couple years in the middle where we had no talent either.

On 1/12/2021 at 1:51 PM, kiwifalcon said:

I mean boyz for me it’s simple we don’t need to overthink this have a look at 3 prime areas this team can really improve.

Pass Coverage Patrick Surtain or alike.

Coaching maximise what we have.

Run Game Najee take your pick there’s a few out there.

I’m of the addage go all in this off season in these areas the team comes out of the shadows.

FA and trades are legal. Also like 2012 said the defense is probably better than the offense right now.

4 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

FA and trades are legal. Also like 2012 said the defense is probably better than the offense right now.

AS fix it that’s what your brought hereto do not chop there legs like Kutty and co did.

I deadset agree with you the trade thing has been in my head for awhile.But I’d only do it for a defensive stud.

If your man Fonty comes out the box with a Tony G type trade for thee above it’s on.

There's a difference between "prioritising defense" and "using the first pick on a defensive player". In the draft it makes no sense to force a pick on a particular side of the ball if the value is simply not there. 

If there are relatively equally rated prospects from both sides of the ball available, that are worthy of the fourth pick, then I'm all for making the defensive pick... But honestly the studs with this draft are on the offensive side of the ball. I'd rather draft them and try to find a gem in later rounds or even in free agency

15 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Don't let the Dirk bias blind you, the defense is in no way, shape or form better than the offense right now.  Not even close.  Kutty neutered the piss out of this offense, Smith will have it humming again.

1 minute ago, ramonezy said:

There's a difference between "prioritising defense" and "using the first pick on a defensive player". In the draft it makes no sense to force a pick on a particular side of the ball if the value is simply not there. 

If there are relatively equally rated prospects from both sides of the ball available, that are worthy of the fourth pick, then I'm all for making the defensive pick... But honestly the studs with this draft are on the offensive side of the ball. I'd rather draft them and try to find a gem in later rounds or even in free agency

Again value is perceived because what you see as value the media see as value and what the team sees a value are completely different things.

This is the rigmarole of this discussion it’s best guess.

My own idea is to target specific areas of a team and make them better with the best talent available when you pick.Don’t spread yourself thin.

On 1/20/2021 at 7:50 PM, Mister pudding said:

So you want to draft him at #4 and put him at guard? Educate me the last time a guard was drafted so high? Is this how Fontenot begins his tenure with the Falcons? 

No, I would draft him at 10-15 after a trade back and put him at guard which is the position he is projected for.

1 hour ago, athell said:

Don't let the Dirk bias blind you, the defense is in no way, shape or form better than the offense right now.  Not even close.  Kutty neutered the piss out of this offense, Smith will have it humming again.

I said all year yall were overrating the offensive talent and putting too much blame on Kutty. Especially that Oline. And don't get me started on the RBs. We have one TE under contract.

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I said all year yall were overrating the offensive talent and putting too much blame on Kutty. Especially that Oline. And don't get me started on the RBs. We have one TE under contract.

Out of all your terrible takes, this may be the worst one lol

Our RB's were bad, I was not on the Gurley hype train.  Ito can't stay healthy.  Hill is Hill and who knows what Ollie is.  Hurst is a nice TE, but we will address.  It's like you can't get through that old thick skull of yours we have an entire offseason to address the needs lol.

But to think the defense has more talent than the offense is absurd.  Almost as absurd as "putting too much blame on Kutty".  Terrible.

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

A clown like you probably thinks Ito, Hennessey and McGary are the second coming.

Please show me where a clown like me said any of those things.

I have a whole laundry list of your clown posts, should we start with Chapter 1 : Dimi ?

Or how about Chapter 2 : Draft Compensation for Minority Hires?

You trash TD and defend Koetter and side with 2012.  This basically tells me all I need to know about you, old man.

1 minute ago, athell said:

Please show me where a clown like me said any of those things.

I have a whole laundry list of your clown posts, should we start with Chapter 1 : Dimi ?

Or how about Chapter 2 : Draft Compensation for Minority Hires?

You trash TD and defend Koetter and side with 2012.  This basically tells me all I need to know about you, old man.

LMAO at me defending Kutty. I didn't want him the first or second time. Pull them posts up. Only thing I said about him is clueless clowns are scapegoating him too much and not watching the sorry talent and execution of the players.

Just now, FalconFanSince1970 said:

LMAO at me defending Kutty. I didn't want him the first or second time. Pull them posts up. Only thing I said about him is clueless clowns are scapegoating him too much and not watching the sorry talent and execution of the players.

You saying people put too much blame on Koetter is literally defending him.  You feeling ok?  It's past your bed time, what is it like 4:40 there?

I'm gonna bookmark this reply of yours and save it for the season when you see what real coaching does for this "sorry talent".  You would think someone who has been watching football as long as you have, for 419 years, would have a better grasp of what you are seeing on the field.

49 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

You literally can't blame Koetter too much for what he did to this offense. The worst part is a lot of people called it all ahead of time. You have no idea what talent our younger guys have because none of them were used correctly. You can't draft a WR, put him at DT, and then call him talentless for not doing well. That's basically what Koetter had our whole offense doing the last two years.

On 1/20/2021 at 8:22 PM, tcmafreak said:

I have wanted the Falcons to focus on defense for a lot of years. Unfortunately, the NFL appears to have done everything possible to minimize the ability to have a dominant defense. The fact that most of our money is on the offensive side of the ball and we just hired an offensive minded coach, tells me the defense will have to get by with scraps. If I was Arthur Smith and had to prove myself in a short amount of time, I'd likely focus on scoring points, too.

We held KC to 17 points and lost, only team to beat the Chiefs starters put up 40 points.  Offense wins in today’s NFL, you just can’t have a defense that’s a liability like we have had for so many years.  Finally had a defense that wasn’t a joke towards the end of last year and our offense became the liability.  Excited to see how next year looks with so many changes.

39 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

You literally can't blame Koetter too much for what he did to this offense. The worst part is a lot of people called it all ahead of time. You have no idea what talent our younger guys have because none of them were used correctly. You can't draft a WR, put him at DT, and then call him talentless for not doing well. That's basically what Koetter had our whole offense doing the last two years.

Agreed.  Last year I broke it down after almost every game how frustrating it was and when nothing changed this year I had to stop for my own mental well being.