7 hours ago, chronob said:

Am I the only one that wouldn't be upset if we drafted Harris at 4?  I don't think we've had a back that genuinely strikes fear in other teams, physically or mentally, since Turner's heyday.  That would certainly help make our offense better (and Matt Ryan's job easier), and Harris looks special to me.  I'm also fine with drafting our next QB at 4, if the new staff thinks he's there.  If we pass on Harris at 4, which RBs might be available with our next pick?  If we pass on QB at 4, what QBs might be available at our next pick?

that would be THE WORST move possible.  RBs have the shortest shelf life of any position player in all of sport.   When drafting in the top 10, you want a player that you feel good about giving a 2nd contract - RBs like LeVeon Bell get franchised for the very reason that no one wants to give a RB a 2nd long-term deal.     I could give you reasons all around and examples of why that is a terrible idea but if you think of it, you can come up w/ these on your own.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm pretty sure most people would be pissed if we drafted Harris at 4. It would be a colossal waste of that draft position. If he is your guy, you find a way to trade down, gather more picks, and then

that would be THE WORST move possible.  RBs have the shortest shelf life of any position player in all of sport.   When drafting in the top 10, you want a player that you feel good about giving a 2nd

I've never understood this train of thought. If a player is "your guy" that means you believe in the potential for him to benefit your team for years to come. If that's the case, it's almost a CERTAIN

44 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

that would be THE WORST move possible.  RBs have the shortest shelf life of any position player in all of sport.   When drafting in the top 10, you want a player that you feel good about giving a 2nd contract - RBs like LeVeon Bell get franchised for the very reason that no one wants to give a RB a 2nd long-term deal.     I could give you reasons all around and examples of why that is a terrible idea but if you think of it, you can come up w/ these on your own.

Agreed.  Barkley, Zeke and CMC are all great backs, but I wouldn’t take them top 20 and wouldn’t pay a second contract.  

5 hours ago, Dr Long Shot said:

List of RBs picked top five the last five years: Zeke, Saquon, Fournett. (1,365 combined rushing yards last year)

List of notable RBs picked in the second round or later during that same time span: Chubb, De'Andre Swift, Dalvin Cook, Miles Sanders, Alvin Kamara, Derrick Henry, Kenyon Drake, Ronald Jones, Kareem Hunt, David Montgomery. 

Let's not blow a top 4 pick on a guy who will likely bust or get injured within 3 years, when we can probably find a pro bowl caliber RB in round 2 or 3. 

This.

As much as Najee or a RB at all is needed here, we aren’t in the luxury of overdrafting the position without it being a generational guy.

Trade down, take someone else at 4, but Najee as pick #1 for us would require a lot of other things to justify as “optimal”. That’s just the truth and I really like Harris.

I’m of the opinion take best RB left top of round 2 or 3 if the board falls right for us; staying at 4 or not.

19 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

What if Najee was the BPA then what bypass him so many like the idea of BPA but when one appears it’s no thanks because of position.

Let me guess let’s take the 3rd or 4th best QB and sit him for a year or 3 😂 

You still have to take positional value into consideration.  It’s not as simple as who is the highest graded player, otherwise you’d be taking kickers or punters in the first.  There are some stud RBs in this draft, one of them will be there at 36, will likely be some in the third too.  That said, I also don’t want a QB at 4 myself.   

29 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

LMAO at all the TATFers pushing the Trade Down button. Good luck with that folks. So far Najee is the prized TATF pick. If he is take him. Someone else will bypass him after the combine though. Trust me.

Why is that so laughable?  We need a ton of talent and have no cap space.  There is a top LT, potentially three QBs that could go top ten and two WRs that could warrant a trade up.  There is talent at the top of the draft, just not where we need it.  Let someone come up for one of those players, find a better value a few picks later and add a couple day two picks to help our defense.

9 hours ago, chronob said:

Am I the only one that wouldn't be upset if we drafted Harris at 4?  I don't think we've had a back that genuinely strikes fear in other teams, physically or mentally, since Turner's heyday.  That would certainly help make our offense better (and Matt Ryan's job easier), and Harris looks special to me.  I'm also fine with drafting our next QB at 4, if the new staff thinks he's there.  If we pass on Harris at 4, which RBs might be available with our next pick?  If we pass on QB at 4, what QBs might be available at our next pick?

Average life span of a running back in the nfl is 3.5 years... See Gurley... 

7 hours ago, Precyse said:

Just watched his highlights. He definitely looks like a beast. Giving me Saquan vibes. How tall is he? 

He's 5-10 so more compact. His balance and ability to break tackles is elite and he's also been used a lot as a receiver out of the backfield. Another huge benefit is he's shared the backfield throughout his career so for a back who is as physical as he is, he has far fewer carries than many similar backs coming out of college. He's built like a workhorse but hasn't been used like one.

I'd rather trade down and pick up an extra 2nd or more. Remember the name Levon Bell former Steeler running back. Wasn't long ago he was the best back.Now seems to be an after thought. I love Harris so maybe San Fran or another team would pay extra to give the Falcons what they want. 

I think draft will go one of 3 ways. First way take who ever is left Fields or Wilson. Second take Parsons or if another player rises and a legit 4. Third way trade down get extra picks. I loved how Barmore played last night. If he slid to 2nd then imagine Harris at 12 (trade San Fran) Barmore Falcs pick 2nd and maybe a def end with San Fran pick 2nd.

8 hours ago, chronob said:

Devonta Smith sure looks like a generational player, and he almost seems too good to pass up whether you need a WR or not.   If some scenario comes up where we trade Julio before or at the start of draft, I would happily take Smith at 4.  But, if Julio remains paired with Ridley for another year or two I'd pass on him.

That said, can you imagine Devonta Smith, Julio and Calvin on the same offense?  Holy moly, that would be something.

If we hired Beinemy, I still wouldn’t love this pick but I’d be optimistic to how much fun next season would be.  Most others I wouldn’t have faith in utilizing that much WR talent.

Najee is a good player. He was my favorite back for 2020, but he went back to school and I will never hold that against a player.

He is not a #4 overall talent. Jonathan Taylor was a tremendous rusher and went in the 2nd round. For #4 overall talents, you need to be a Marshall Faulk, LaDainian Tomlinson or Ricky Williams type of RB coming out of college. 

2 hours ago, Rings said:

You still have to take positional value into consideration.  It’s not as simple as who is the highest graded player, otherwise you’d be taking kickers or punters in the first.  There are some stud RBs in this draft, one of them will be there at 36, will likely be some in the third too.  That said, I also don’t want a QB at 4 myself.   

It’s the hypocrisy of BPA argument it doesn’t exist in all actuality because teams are going to do exactly what you’ve mentioned.

I just find it funny how a lot will find agenda because of position.

Like what say Devonta Smith went at 3 just say a WRer Heisman Trophy winner best player in college football.

**** let’s say Najee is the next Adrian Petersen you think anyone’s going to care hey look the Falcons took a RB at 4.

All I want is good football players I don’t care what position they are.I’m hoping we target the secondary myself.

12 hours ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I'm pretty sure most people would be pissed if we drafted Harris at 4. It would be a colossal waste of that draft position. If he is your guy, you find a way to trade down, gather more picks, and then take him.

Trade down to where?  With who? And how do the Falcons insure nobody takes Harris before the spot they trade down to?

13 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

It’s the hypocrisy of BPA argument it doesn’t exist in all actuality because teams are going to do exactly what you’ve mentioned.

Like what say Devonta Smith went at 3 just say a WRer Heisman Trophy winner best player in college football.

**** let’s say Najee is the next Adrian Petersen you think anyone’s going to care hey look the Falcons took a RB at 4.

All I want is good football players I don’t care what position they are.I’m hoping we target the secondary myself.

He still has a valid argument and especially for today's NFL. If you are a RB away, maybe? This team hasn't had a defense in years. Even these brief stretches after terrible starts the past 3 years has a net average defense at best.

You don't HAVE to overdraft the position to get a successful running game. That's the point. It's a luxury to overdraft this particular position as the return on investment? Like, if we already had the defense great. So, if you want to draft a RB like Najee you trade down first...(assuming you didn't value a defender or other position etc) and then you take him or defender if he is gone at your "first" pick...then take the next best RB on your board in round 2.

It's not complicated. I hate when we tunnel on one guy. He is good, but enough to take over NFL games? I don't know about that. Not enough for me to trust this defense throwing the #4 at him. But if they think he is AP? Ok do it. lol

11 minutes ago, gtech1 said:

Trade down to where?  With who? And how do the Falcons insure nobody takes Harris before the spot they trade down to?

One of the reasons you trade down is you want more picks & you don't value a particular player so much at 4 that you take them instead of a couple other players you grade similarly. (Obviously this requires a trade partner otherwise stay put)

RBs can be had lower than round 1. This has been proven. Get a better run scheme/offense and YES we need a RB. Are we just Najee away tho? No. If we take him, it'll need to be round 1 but at 4? For this roster? That's just dumb. I'm sorry.

Edited by Ergo Proxy
10 hours ago, SavedByGrace1221 said:

Wilson all day long . But apparently the Ryan Homers are against this pick . They keep thinking we have a playoff bound team next year. Tear it done folks . REBUILD .. stop setting yourself up for a great letdown . We Are Rebuilding 

We can't REBUILD because Ryan's and Julio's contract structure counts against the cap whether we trade them or release them until 2023. 

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

Yes.  Peterson is an awesome back.  He’s been in the league 14 years and his teams have one playoff win in that time.  It’s stupid to take a back that high because they are the least impactful position in football.  Even the best ones only make teams marginally better.  You are much better addressing other positions.