16 minutes ago, Artys Arryn said:

Harris at 4 would be a little insane. I'd rather take Smith or Chase. 

The 2nd round is the prime location for running backs and there are several good ones that will be available there. If you want to trade into the bottom of the first for the 5th yr option, fine, but don't use a top 10 pick on a RB. 

but will he last that long thats the question 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm pretty sure most people would be pissed if we drafted Harris at 4. It would be a colossal waste of that draft position. If he is your guy, you find a way to trade down, gather more picks, and then

that would be THE WORST move possible.  RBs have the shortest shelf life of any position player in all of sport.   When drafting in the top 10, you want a player that you feel good about giving a 2nd

I've never understood this train of thought. If a player is "your guy" that means you believe in the potential for him to benefit your team for years to come. If that's the case, it's almost a CERTAIN

1 hour ago, chronob said:

Am I the only one that wouldn't be upset if we drafted Harris at 4?  I don't think we've had a back that genuinely strikes fear in other teams, physically or mentally, since Turner's heyday.  That would certainly help make our offense better (and Matt Ryan's job easier), and Harris looks special to me.  I'm also fine with drafting our next QB at 4, if the new staff thinks he's there.  If we pass on Harris at 4, which RBs might be available with our next pick?  If we pass on QB at 4, what QBs might be available at our next pick?

Can he play defense or block for Matt Ryan? 

1 hour ago, falcndave said:

I would probably be upset. Harris is the guy I want. I'll be up front about that. I'm tired of chasing potential value at the RB position in the draft. That said, I think 4 is too high. If we take him there, my assessment would be that we struck out on an opportunity to trade down, acquire more picks, and still get him. 

So, I would be ecstatic if we drafted him in the first round. I'd feel like we missed an opportunity if we take him at 4. 

I've never understood this train of thought. If a player is "your guy" that means you believe in the potential for him to benefit your team for years to come. If that's the case, it's almost a CERTAINTY that other teams feel similarly.

So, instead of gambling on gaining more picks and potentially losing out... just take the player.

A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.

Just now, Bunchy Carter said:

I've never understood this train of thought. If a player is "your guy" that means you believe in the potential for him to benefit your team for years to come. If that's the case, it's almost a CERTAINTY that other teams feel similarly.

So, instead of gambling on gaining more picks and potentially losing out... just take the player.

A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.

Good point.  I wasn't a big fan of Jamie Dukes, but he made a good point about the draft.  It may have been in reference to when traded so much to draft Julio.  He said if so-and-so is your guy, then you go get your guy.  Period.  

If the incoming regime thinks Harris or some other RB is the next Tomlinson or Peterson, then they should pick him.  Is Harris, Etienne, or some other back one of those guys?  Probably not, but Harris looks talented enough to me that if the next GM says they were drafting for their RB of the future at 4 with him I'm okay with that.  

1 minute ago, chronob said:

Good point.  I wasn't a big fan of Jamie Dukes, but he made a good point about the draft.  It may have been in reference to when traded so much to draft Julio.  He said if so-and-so is your guy, then you go get your guy.  Period.  

If the incoming regime thinks Harris or some other RB is the next Tomlinson or Peterson, then they should pick him.  Is Harris, Etienne, or some other back one of those guys?  Probably not, but Harris looks talented enough to me that if the next GM says they were drafting for their RB of the future at 4 with him I'm okay with that.  

Agreed

I like Harris but I struggle to take a RB before round 3 so taking one at #4 is absurd to me.  It's my favorite position and the guys who play RB are the most battered and beaten souls on many teams.  As such most runners who see a lot of action are done in 3-5 years in the NFL.  Like the player but unless he falls to the 2nd, I would not...I also see a lot of scheme and great blocking in his college career even though I certainly think he is amazing.

2 hours ago, chronob said:

Am I the only one that wouldn't be upset if we drafted Harris at 4?  I don't think we've had a back that genuinely strikes fear in other teams, physically or mentally, since Turner's heyday.  That would certainly help make our offense better (and Matt Ryan's job easier), and Harris looks special to me.  I'm also fine with drafting our next QB at 4, if the new staff thinks he's there.  If we pass on Harris at 4, which RBs might be available with our next pick?  If we pass on QB at 4, what QBs might be available at our next pick?

Would be a good pick. How high would you draft Devonta Smith? Would you take him at 4?

1 minute ago, Monolith2001 said:

I like Harris but I struggle to take a RB before round 3 so taking one at #4 is absurd to me.  It's my favorite position and the guys who play RB are the most battered and beaten souls on many teams.  As such most runners who see a lot of action are done in 3-5 years in the NFL.  Like the player but unless he falls to the 2nd, I would not...I also see a lot of scheme and great blocking in his college career even though I certainly think he is amazing.

Yup, it’s pretty crazy to see the transition the NFL has made with interchangeable RBs. If your o-line can block and your OC calls good plays, lessor known RBs can step in and be successful.

Perfect example: James Robison JAX, David Montgomery CHI, Josh Jacobs LV, Ronald Jones TB, Damien Harris NE, Raheem Mostert SF. 

None of those guys where drafted early and none of them entered the NFL with the expectation of being the “Featured Bellcow Back” and they’re all top 10-15 RBs. 

From a player perspective Najee is worth a top 5 pick, but that’s simply not the NFL today. Sure someone will take him but if you can get a RB in the 3rd or 4th round that can be 70-80% as productive that’s the play all day. 

List of RBs picked top five the last five years: Zeke, Saquon, Fournett. (1,365 combined rushing yards last year)

List of notable RBs picked in the second round or later during that same time span: Chubb, De'Andre Swift, Dalvin Cook, Miles Sanders, Alvin Kamara, Derrick Henry, Kenyon Drake, Ronald Jones, Kareem Hunt, David Montgomery. 

Let's not blow a top 4 pick on a guy who will likely bust or get injured within 3 years, when we can probably find a pro bowl caliber RB in round 2 or 3. 

Edited by Dr Long Shot
22 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

I hear you, but if you are the GM and you think the next LaDainian Tomlinson is there at 4 would you pass him by on a team that needs a dominant running back?  Not that Harris or Etienne are Tomlinson, but if you, as GM, think they are I think you take him.

19 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Would be a good pick. How high would you draft Devonta Smith? Would you take him at 4?

Devonta Smith sure looks like a generational player, and he almost seems too good to pass up whether you need a WR or not.   If some scenario comes up where we trade Julio before or at the start of draft, I would happily take Smith at 4.  But, if Julio remains paired with Ridley for another year or two I'd pass on him.

That said, can you imagine Devonta Smith, Julio and Calvin on the same offense?  Holy moly, that would be something.

2 minutes ago, chronob said:

Devonta Smith sure looks like a generational player, and he almost seems too good to pass up whether you need a WR or not.   If some scenario comes up where we trade Julio before or at the start of draft, I would happily take Smith at 4.  But, if Julio remains paired with Ridley for another year or two I'd pass on him.

That said, can you imagine Devonta Smith, Julio and Calvin on the same offense?  Holy moly, that would be something.

He looks great, but........ I think drafting a QB and fixing the run game should be the top priority. You are giving Matt and Julio exactly what they need to get the offense rolling immediately and you have your QB of the future soaking it all in.

The Offense can be a strength and carry the team while we finally work towards building an NFL caliber defense at all three levels via this draft (might take a year or two) …QB, RB, and the rest defense. And the best solid young nasty-hungry left guard in FA you can find. Lets get this thing rolling.

7 minutes ago, chronob said:

If they are gonna ride this out with Ryan. I would take Smith at 4 with the RIGHT offensive coordinator. You have to be able to get him the ball like Sark has done with him.

1 hour ago, ike barn87987 said:

You gotta get somebody to block for the RB. I really want Slater with the first pick. We can still get a good RB later. I like Williams.

Just watched his highlights. He definitely looks like a beast. Giving me Saquan vibes. How tall is he? 

3 hours ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I'm pretty sure most people would be pissed if we drafted Harris at 4. It would be a colossal waste of that draft position. If he is your guy, you find a way to trade down, gather more picks, and then take him.

Trade Julio and basically, dominate draft by getting Harris and Adams lol! 

40 minutes ago, chronob said:

Giving me Dallas vibes from this year. Bunch of great wideouts. No Oline, mediocre Rb play. New coach. 8-8 at best 

4 hours ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I'm pretty sure most people would be pissed if we drafted Harris at 4. It would be a colossal waste of that draft position. If he is your guy, you find a way to trade down, gather more picks, and then take him.

Eagles say they will take him at 6. I wouldn't be disappointed at all if we took Harris at 4. He would have larger impact our team than an unproven QB. It would be a radical move, but we needs some radical moves other that QB who would sit on the bench for two years.