Do you think that the Falcons can get their QB of the future with their 3rd or 4th round pick?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I keep seeing this argument from people regarding taking a QB early in the 1st, and Tom Brady is always the excuse.  But here is reality:  25* of the 32 starting QBs in the NFL were 1st round picks. 

Mac Jones won't make it out of the 1st. If posters think a top 10 QB (even top 5) is a crapshoot for a QB, and it is to a degree. Try coming up with the next face of the Falcons from the 3rd or 4th ro

I might be wrong. I hear the next six are all just DEs.

Mac Jones won't make it out of the 1st. If posters think a top 10 QB (even top 5) is a crapshoot for a QB, and it is to a degree. Try coming up with the next face of the Falcons from the 3rd or 4th round. Better yet, if your a GM do you make that bet?

I swear if I see one more Tom Brady reference. For every Tom Brady I give you 100 Kurt Kittner's, Turk Schoenert's and the mythical Tony G.

Edited by PointSwayzee

No. Mac Jones is going in the second at the latest. What’s the last 3-4th round pick that turned out to be a great starting/franchise QB? Stuff like that is rarely intentional and these later round QBs perform well due to being trust into a starting spot due to an injury. Granted the greatest success story is when 7th round pick Tom Brady came in for Bledsoe and is now the greatest QB to ever live, but that’s the equivalent to you finding an old laptop with 100 bitcoins saved on it - it’ll never happen. 

As I’ve said a couple of times, go get Jamie Newman in round 3 for development. Everybody brings up Jordan Love around here, well, Newman has exactly the same skill set, and just as much of a chance to become a solid starter one day. 

If not, you have nothing of great value invested in him.  

Trying to find a franchise QB in the mid rounds of the draft is like playing European Roulette trying to hit the GREEN ZERO. You’re going to lose a lot of time and money UNLESS you get lucky. For every franchise QB you hit in those rds you’ll miss x10. Most of the time a GM will grow old and gray or be fired before making it happen. The best time to draft a QB in those rds is when you already  have a relatively young QB. GMs don’t have enough time to build winners drafting QBs in mid rounds.

10 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

In my opinion Trevor Lawrence is the only QB worth using our first round pick on. Trevor Lawrence is probably the only quarterback that could out play Matt Ryan by 2023.

I have to disagree. I happen to think Wilson is the gem of this entire draft. Been watching football a long time and always loved and hated Steve Young(don't care about a running QB but one that uses his legs to extend plays). This kid might be the closest thing I have seen to Young and that is a tantalizing proposition to me. Certainly, enough to go all in a 4 IF he is there, and there is a strong possibility he wont be.

Admittedly my exposure to them is limited, but I like Wilson and I really, really like Jones.   Wilson has more fleet feet but Jones is just so smooth back there and with such precise passes.  

Last night I studied Jones and he looks as close to a can't-miss as I've seen* recently. 

*Trevor notwithstanding; I leave him out of the equation because he's already in New York.  

3 hours ago, PointSwayzee said:

Mac Jones won't make it out of the 1st. If posters think a top 10 QB (even top 5) is a crapshoot for a QB, and it is to a degree. Try coming up with the next face of the Falcons from the 3rd or 4th round. Better yet if your a GM do you make that bet?

I swear if I see one Tom Brady reference. For every Tom Brady I give you 100 Kurt Kittner's, Turk Schoenert's and the mythical Tony G.

I keep seeing this argument from people regarding taking a QB early in the 1st, and Tom Brady is always the excuse.  But here is reality:  25* of the 32 starting QBs in the NFL were 1st round picks.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_starting_quarterbacks_in_the_National_Football_League

* Counting Burrows/Prescott/Goff/Wentz who were injured and Roethlisberger, Mahomes who were "rested" the last game when the list was updated * 

The guys that aren't?

• Drew Lock - 2nd round - Maybe might be decent eventually but has been nothing special so far
  • Jimmy Garoppolo - 2nd round - Was supposed to be the next big thing and turned out to be maybe a bit above average
  • Derek Carr - 2nd round - Good at times but not great
  • Gardner Minshew - 6th round - Up and down, good at times but not great
  • Kurt Cousins - 4th round-  One of the better, more consistent on this list, but still not great
  • Russell Wilson - 3rd round - He is 1 of 2 outliers here..  which should tell you how rare it is for a great QB to slip beyond the 1st or early 2nd.
  • Tom Brady- 6th round - The once in a lifetime exception to the rule.

Scouting of QBs has gotten exceptionally better since Tom Brady slipped through the cracks.  No one wants to miss the next Brady, so the likelihood of getting your next franchise QB outside of the first round has become next to nothing.  Look at the list above again.  If you count 2nd rounders, you're talking 28 of 32 starting QBs in the NFL.  Do you really want to stake our franchise's future beyond Ryan on the nearly non-existent chance we find the ONE guy that slipped through the cracks to the 3rd round or 4th round?   Ryan isn't going to play forever so if we can get his successor, even if he has to sit behind him for a year or so, we do it. 

Zach Wilson is going to remain a love or hate proposition for fans.

FWIW, I am on the love side of the debate. Don't know everything about him but enough to say, he is part Steve Young, Russel Wilson, Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, and Aaron Rogers.

David Pollack is on record as saying his comp for Wilson... is Rogers.

Anyone knocking him for this being a coming out season is clearly demonstrating a bias. Period.

For those that can't see it, to each their own. I'm not saying he should be drafted at #4; not saying he shouldn't be. So much goes into that decision we aren't ever going to be privy to by the actual decision makers, but whomever take him is going to be in a great position at QB for the future IMO.

This could turn out to be one of the best QB draft classes ever; perhaps best ever if they can all attain the level their skill sets say they can.

54 minutes ago, PointSwayzee said:

I have to disagree. I happen to think Wilson is the gem of this entire draft. Been watching football a long time and always loved and hated Steve Young(don't care about a running QB but one that uses his legs to extend plays). This kid might be the closest thing I have seen to Young and that is a tantalizing proposition to me. Certainly, enough to go all in a 4 IF he is there, and there is a strong possibility he wont be.

The pivotal part of his post was, actually beating out Matt in a competition. Matt would run circles around these guys for years.

From a film breakdown alone, he’d make them look like finger painting pre-schoolers. 

9 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

The pivotal part of his post was, actually beating out Matt in a competition. Matt would run circles around these guys for years.

From a film breakdown alone, he’d make them look like finger painting pre-schoolers. 

People here only care about mobility and arm strength, get out of here with your film breakdown logic.

34 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

Again what is your point?

With that half baked premise, Chris Redman would have done the same thing when Ryan was a rookie. Or was Matt Ryan the lone QB in the history of football that could breakdown film better than NFL veterans...please. Was Chris Redman better than Matt Ryan, the moment he arrived in Flowery Branch(my guess is yes)

Your argument is wildly flawed.