The King Has Mocked - Early 2021 Dream Draft

I'm not going to do a full offseason with free agent signings, a depth chart, etc. like I usually do simply because there are just too many things that can change between now and draft time. That being said, I've been playing around with this scenario in my head for a few days and wanted to put it out there for my Falcon brethren to... well, probably loathe. 😄

1. JAX - Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson - The Jaguars no longer have to rely on Gardner Minshew to run their offense. This is a no-brainer.

2. NYJ - Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State - The new HC for the Jets may not want the project of fixing shellshocked Sam Darnold.

3. *CIN - Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon - Bengals trade up for the top OL, protecting Burrow is the top priority after the 2020 injury.

4. **NYG - Devonta Smith, WR, Alabama - Atlanta trades picks 4 and 99 to the Giants for picks 11, 42, and a 2022 1st, stocking the cupboard for the new regime. Giants get their top pick at WR for Daniel Jones.

5. MIA - JaMarr Chase, WR, LSU - Miami has publicly given Tua a vote of confidence this offseason which means they should continue to build around him.

6. PHI - Micah Parsons, LB, Penn State - The Eagles need better LB play, as they were starting Duke Riley before he landed on IR this season.

7. DET - Zach Wilson, QB, BYU - It seems like Stafford’s time could be up in Detroit, here’s the QB of the future for the Lions.

8. CAR - Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota State - The intriguing prospect sits behind Bridgewater to start his career.

9. DEN - Kwity Paye, EDGE, Michigan - Von Miller’s time in Denver could be up, so they’ll need a replacement.

10. DAL - Patrick Surtain, CB, Alabama - Length, ball skills, speed and athleticism - all the tools needed to be a long-term boundary corner in the NFL.

• Round 1, Pick 11 - Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida
    • Height: 6’6” Weight: 240 lbs.
    • Matt Ryan has always been at his best when he’s had a top tier TE to throw to. We saw how important Tony Gonzalez was for Ryan at the beginning stages of his career. Since then Ryan has utilized guys like Austin Hooper and Hayden Hurst though neither of them are the mismatch that Pitts is. If Ryan finishes his career in Atlanta then it will be guys like Calvin Ridley and Kyle Pitts that keep him productive in his final years. The cliche ‘Wide Receiver in a Tight End’s Body’ seems to have been a prophecy written about the Gator athlete who should automatically improve our red zone scoring as a rookie, correcting a lot of wrongs that have plagued us in recent years.

• Round 2, Pick 35 - Najee Harris, RB, Alabama
    • Height: 6’2”  Weight: 230 lbs.
    • Todd Gurley showed flashes of productivity in 2020, but that won’t be enough to keep Atlanta from investing in a new workhorse. Harris has been a TD monster for the Crimson Tide and that nose for the end zone will translate to the pros in one of the NFL’s top offenses. Like a blend of Mark Ingram and Derrick Henry, Harris has been compared to pros such as Eddie George and Matt Forte due to his size, receiving ability, and supreme vision. His 40 time is likely to leave some uninterested, which will allow Atlanta to grab this gem early in the second round.

• Round 2, Pick 42 -  Patrick Jones II, DE, Pittsburgh
    • Height: 6’5” Weight: 260 lbs.
    • Jones II doesn’t have the buzz that Rousseau and Paye have, but is still one of the best passrushers in this class. He’s quick off the ball with excellent speed and acceleration to get around tackles, but also shows an impressive set of passrush moves to get back inside when needed. Explosive and disruptive, Jones II shows aggression both in the run and pass games to get to the ball and blow up whatever the offense is trying to do. You can never have too many passrushers, and this defense has lacked productive ones for too long.

• Round 3, Pick 68 - Asante Samuel Jr., CB, Florida State
    • Height: 5’10” Weight: 185 lbs.
    • The Falcons can’t enter the 2021 without adding at least one playmaker to the secondary. Enter Asante Samuel Jr. Though obviously a slot corner in the NFL, Samuel is a very fast and aggressive player in coverage and also a willing tackler against both backs and receivers. The fact that his father played for the Falcons less than a decade ago will add to the cool factor of the pick, but Atlanta adds a lot more than just a Legacy when making this selection as Samuel has the potential to be one of the best slot corners in the entire league in a short amount of time.

• Round 5, Pick 132 - Alaric Jackson, OL, Iowa
    • Height: 6’6” Weight: 315 lbs.
    • Following the lead of Marshal Yanda and Brandon Scherff, Jackson has been a 4-year starter at Left Tackle for the Hawkeyes but will have a much more successful NFL career after moving inside to Guard. While not possessing the length to deal with some of the elite speed rushers in the league, Jackson has the strength and aggressiveness to handle the power rushers inside and anchors well to keep the pocket from collapsing. Jackson’s calling card is his run blocking prowess, which will make him an excellent fit at RG with the flexibility to play RT in a pinch.

• Round 6, Pick 163 - Jaquan Brisker, S, Penn State
    • Height: 6’1” Weight: 212 lbs.
    • Another addition to the secondary, this time the Falcons add a talented safety prospect who still has some developing to do. Brisker is a fast and fluid athlete who brings some heat when he delivers a hit. With the range and top-end speed to make plays sideline to sideline, Brisker is a reliable tackler who is known for taking great angles and making plays that some would miss. He still has some play recognition issues that has led to him getting sucked in on play action, but proper coaching can turn Brisker into a solid contributor on both defense and special teams.

Again, this is just a dream scenario of mine. This is in no way something I think the Falcons will do, even though I'd obviously be thrilled with the draft if it worked out similarly to this. You can't understate the impact of a new GM/HC wanting to make their mark on the franchise so adding talent in some key positions to build upon in 2021 while securing some 2022 capital is invaluable. Hope you all enjoyed the read, and I'll be back again sometime in the next couple of months to drop another attempt.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trade down and get a TE?  Hard pass.  

The Falcons just simply do not need a TE.

Found Dan Reeves account.

Posted Images

We just picked up Hayden Hurst last year who’s a former 1st round pick. We traded our second round pick to the Ravens for him and he absolutely balled this year too. Why would we pick a TE with our first pick!? SMH. 

Do you even watch Falcons games? 

Edited by matty72780

King sorry mate you lost me with that first pick man.

Pitts to me just looks like a converted WRer good player don’t get me wrong but I don’t need another TE Hurst has plenty.

At 11 if Surtain is there for Dallas at 10 I’m trying to get back in front of them.

Hate to say this aswell I don’t think Najee is a 2nd round pick either don’t be surprised if he gets picked inside the top 20.Not to worry though I think there’s enough depth at the position to get our guy.

The biggest area we can really fix is corner and safety I think doing that via FA and the draft is the way we should be really looking at.

Pass Rush flip a coin outside of the DT from Bama I haven’t seen anything that really excites me.

I don't think people that hate on the Pitts pick have watched him play. He is a nightmare to defend. I like Hayden Hurst but so many teams are using 2-3 TEs consistently.

Love the draft even though I think Harris will be a 1st and Samuel will be a 1st/2nd depending on his combine. Patrick Jones is one of my favorite prospects in this draft. He will be a steal for whoever snags him in the 2nd.

2 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

I don't think people that hate on the Pitts pick have watched him play. He is a nightmare to defend. I like Hayden Hurst but so many teams are using 2-3 TEs consistently.

Love the draft even though I think Harris will be a 1st and Samuel will be a 1st/2nd depending on his combine. Patrick Jones is one of my favorite prospects in this draft. He will be a steal for whoever snags him in the 2nd.

He could be gronk and Tony g rolled into one and it still wouldn't make sense. That's a luxury pick for a team that doesn't have nearly the holes we got right now. 

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

He could be gronk and Tony g rolled into one and it still wouldn't make sense. That's a luxury pick for a team that doesn't have nearly the holes we got right now. 

BPA is the only pick we should be making. The reason we are in this mess is because we reach for need rather than taking the best player available. 

7 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Bpa is much like tanking. Only good in theory. Nobody drafts purely on bpa. Nobody. Even still I don't think he's the bpa there. 

If you don't have an elite level prospect at a position (We do not at TE), and that person is the BPA you take him. It's simple. You thinking he won't be BPA is a different discussion, But simply saying we won't take a guy who would be a "luxury" pick is crazy.

Not taking Smith or Chase because we have Julio and Ridley makes sense.
Not taking Pitts because we have Hurst does not make sense.

1 minute ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

If you don't have an elite level prospect at a position (We do not at TE), and that person is the BPA you take him. It's simple. You thinking he won't be BPA is a different discussion, But simply saying we won't take a guy who would be a "luxury" pick is crazy.

Not taking Smith or Chase because we have Julio and Ridley makes sense.
Not taking Pitts because we have Hurst does not make sense.

Spending a 2nd and then a top 10 pick on te in back to back years is what doesn't make sense when we have absolutely no running game or defense.

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Spending a 2nd and then a top 10 pick on te in back to back years is what doesn't make sense when we have absolutely no running game or defense.

Last I checked we have more than one pick in the draft. We recouped a 2nd and future 1st by trading down in this scenario. Not to mention free agency. You act like this one pick would be the end all/be all for the team.