Steve Sarkisian

mattyicefalcon

2 minutes ago, Mr.11 said:

He wanted Brees. FO went with Culpepper. That's one of the reasons Saban left, if not the main reason.

Maybe it was the front office but I thought Nick was skeptical himself. IDK....but if Brees had been the choice there’s a good chance he would still be and been a thorn to BB NE.

44 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

Maybe it was the front office but I thought Nick was skeptical himself. IDK....but if Brees had been the choice there’s a good chance he would still be and been a thorn to BB NE.

I have always heard it was a FO decision and that Coach Saban wanted him.

For whatever reason, I sure am glad that they didn't keep him because that is one of the reasons that Coach Saban left Miami and came to Alabama. That and the fact that Ms. Terry hated living in Miami.

Lot of folks back on this bandwagon...fwiw, I was one of the people saying Sark was receiving too much blame, but it's true that he struggled to gameplan against more talented defenses. In a way, the marriage to Alabama is a perfect one...he never has to worry about the other team being more talented.

5 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

Biggest mistake at Miami with Saban was signing Daunte Culpepper instead of Drew Brees. It’s not like he was gawd awful - he went 7-9 his first year and 6-10 the following year. He was wary of the Brees shoulder injury and didn’t want to sign him. Chances are had he signed Brees he might still be there. It would’ve been better for us and the Dolphins. 

He failed the physical.   They wanted Brees  and Brees wanted Miami.    Saban wanted to go back to College.   He wasn't cut out for the NFL.   He did the same thing to them that Pestinko did to us.  Said he wasn't going to take the job at Alabama - then came out the next day with his announcement at Alabama.   Worked out for him - but they still hate him in Miami!

21 hours ago, Tandy said:

He failed the physical.   They wanted Brees  and Brees wanted Miami.    Saban wanted to go back to College.   He wasn't cut out for the NFL.   He did the same thing to them that Pestinko did to us.  Said he wasn't going to take the job at Alabama - then came out the next day with his announcement at Alabama.   Worked out for him - but they still hate him in Miami!

Not so fast my friend.

His made his infamous statement on 12/21 and was hired on 1/3. 

Some of the best college coaches don't make it in the NFL, Saban, Spurrier, Pete Carrol failed the first time he went to the NFL. Coaching students and coaching grown men who do it for a living is a completely different animal.

I was in Miami for the National Championship game against ND 8 years ago and listening to the sports talk radio I would say the "hate" level was about 75%. The strictly NFL fans hate him, but most of college fans appreciate what he has done as a coach.

Just now, BamaBirdLady said:

Not so fast my friend.

His made his infamous statement on 12/21 and was hired on 1/3. 

Some of the best college coaches don't make it in the NFL, Saban, Spurrier, Pete Carrol failed the first time he went to the NFL. Coaching students and coaching grown men who do it for a living is a completely different animal.

I was in Miami for the National Championship game against ND 8 years ago and listening to the sports talk radio I would say the "hate" level was about 75%. The strictly NFL fans hate him, but most of college fans appreciate what he has done as a coach.

I work in Ft Lauderdale - spend about 1/3 - 1/2 of my time down there.   The hate is real - and it's still there.   

Of course the college fans respect the heck out of him - he's probably the best College coach to ever stand on a sideline.   But - that doesn't mean he was a good NFL coach.   That was the point - but I don't think there is a Dolphin fan out there that doesn't think of him in a similar manner as we thought of Petrino.

2 minutes ago, Tandy said:

I work in Ft Lauderdale - spend about 1/3 - 1/2 of my time down there.   The hate is real - and it's still there.   

Of course the college fans respect the heck out of him - he's probably the best College coach to ever stand on a sideline.   But - that doesn't mean he was a good NFL coach.   That was the point - but I don't think there is a Dolphin fan out there that doesn't think of him in a similar manner as we thought of Petrino.

I just said he wasn't cut out for the NFL and that there was about 75% of the callers I heard of the radio hating on him. So not sure where we disagreeing or are you agreeing with me?

4 minutes ago, BamaBirdLady said:

I just said he wasn't cut out for the NFL and that there was about 75% of the callers I heard of the radio hating on him. So not sure where we disagreeing or are you agreeing with me?

I'm agreeing - he is an incredible college coach - unreal in fact - but the whole point was that being a fantastic college coach doesn't always make you a great NFL coach.