• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good. Let him fall out of #2.

I was wondering why we didn't have a thread on him this week.

Don’t kid yourself, Alabama’s defense is just good. Not great 

32 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

and guess what, so is the fanbase is very polarized when it comes to Matt Ryan as well, which you FAIL to mention, but you know what, we've had Matt Ryan for years, and we had 2 good seasons (2012, 2016) we could have easily won the Super Bowl with Matt Ryan, so you know what, JUSTIN FIELDS in Atlanta would be NO PROBLEM, and he would bring a lot of tickets and seats especially with how culturally impacting he'd be as an Atlanta Falcon. By your logic, if we listen to our polarizing fanbase from both sides (rather it's Vick, Ryan, Fields, whatever) we'd be having losing records year after year! 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_all-time_NFL_win–loss_records#Regular_season

33 minutes ago, The Great American said:

Tough loss last night! 

Sorry for changing the subject but in your opinion, which team did Clemson fans pull for last night?   

To Clemson fans, no real football exists elsewhere. When you are basically unchallenged in your own conference year after year after year, it’s easy to feel that way. 

8 hours ago, insight said:

IMO  In order to evaluate college prospects you have to watch film trying to compare players based on statistics alone is meaningless. Jim Burrow was and still is a superior QB talent compared to Mac Jones and all the  reputable draft grades support my statement. 

All this may be true, but what would it be like for this team if a Justin Fields or Zach Wilson is on the bench and Matt has a game or two that aren't exactly perfect? Matt is a 70% passer and has been in this league for a long time, Mac Jones on the bench learning from Matt would be a much more acceptable plan than a Justin Fields or Zach Wilson causing dissention in the ranks while waiting their turn. If you take one of the top 3 QB's in this draft I think you have to play them sooner than later. If you want Matt to mentor one, it better be a Mac Jones type. or even lesser known commodity that needs developing.

2 minutes ago, slider said:

All this may be true, but what would it be like for this team if a Justin Fields or Zach Wilson is on the bench and Matt has a game or two that aren't exactly perfect? Matt is a 70% passer and has been in this league for a long time, Mac Jones on the bench learning from Matt would be a much more acceptable plan than a Justin Fields or Zach Wilson causing dissention in the ranks while waiting their turn. If you take one of the top 3 QB's in this draft I think you have to play them sooner than later. If you want Matt to mentor one, it better be a Mac Jones type. or even lesser known commodity that needs developing.

that's garbage.   a player will wait - especially a rookie QB when they are getting paid.   Mahomes wasn't storming the gates backing up Alex Smith his first year.   Now you are right,at some point they want to play but the rook year - I don't see it.

Falcons could draft any of these QBs and they would be fine as the understudy for the first year - it doesn't matter where they are drafted.

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

that's garbage.   a player will wait - especially a rookie QB when they are getting paid.   Mahomes wasn't storming the gates backing up Alex Smith his first year.   Now you are right,at some point they want to play but the rook year - I don't see it.

Falcons could draft any of these QBs and they would be fine as the understudy for the first year - it doesn't matter where they are drafted.

👍

26 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

In the case of Matt and his contract you're probably talking two years, at least a year and a half if Matt were to struggle in year two.

26 minutes ago, slider said:

In the case of Matt and his contract you're probably talking two years, at least a year and a half if Matt were to struggle in year two.

It's odd to me that people are concerned with Matt Ryan being placed in a competitive environment after 3 losing seasons but a team like the Saints bring in QB's like Teddy Bridgewater, Jamies Winston and sign Taysom hill to a heft contract.  IMO we need to bring in the most talented players possible and let them compete whoever player gives you the best chance to win you play them or like Taysom Hill you incorporate them into the offense. 

When I watch the Falcons I don't see a team full of competitors like the Saints, I see players making mistake after mistake without the fear of being replaced. 

2 minutes ago, insight said:

It's odd to me that people are concerned with Matt Ryan being placed in a competitive environment after 3 losing seasons but a team like the Saints bring in QB's like Teddy Bridgewater, Jamies Winston and sign Taysom hill to a heft contract.  IMO we need to bring in the most talented players possible and let them compete whoever player gives you the best chance to win you play them or like Taysom Hill you incorporate them into the offense. 

When I watch the Falcons I don't see a team full of competitors like the Saints, I see players making mistake after mistake without the fear of being replaced. 

I have no problem with competition, look at what Rodgers has done in GB after Love was drafted. I think though with Matt, if you get him back into his comfort zone which is the WCO (matches his talent) this team has a chance to immediately regain a competitive presence. N.O. is losing Brees and Brady may be close to gone, Carolina has no franchise guy, to eject Matt now in my opinion would be foolhardy. Bad timing to say the least. My opinion also has to do with the fact that I think Lawrence and Fields are vastly over rated. I think Wilson has better raw talent of the top three. Mac Jones doesn't have the same qualities as those guys but he's a better decision maker than all those guys and that's always been Matt's best quality. I think it's a better fit. I would rather see Mac Jones in a competition with a mobile guy in 2022 or 23 and may the best man win. For now I think Matt is the guy. 

17 minutes ago, insight said:

Bridgewater and Winston are vets. They weren't bringing in guys for the future they were bringing in guys that could keep them in the hunt if Brees got hurt. Taysom Hill is just a utility knife. He's not the heir apparent. I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade up for a QB in this draft and Taysom would be a place holder unless they get a vet to come in and keep Taysom in the same role.

6 minutes ago, slider said:

I have no problem with competition, look at what Rodgers has done in GB after Love was drafted. I think though with Matt, if you get him back into his comfort zone which is the WCO (matches his talent) this team has a chance to immediately regain a competitive presence. N.O. is losing Brees and Brady may be close to gone, Carolina has no franchise guy, to eject Matt now in my opinion would be foolhardy. Bad timing to say the least. My opinion also has to do with the fact that I think Lawrence and Fields are vastly over rated. I think Wilson has better raw talent of the top three. Mac Jones doesn't have the same qualities as those guys but he's a better decision maker than all those guys and that's always been Matt's best quality. I think it's a better fit. I would rather see Mac Jones in a competition with a mobile guy in 2022 or 23 and may the best man win. For now I think Matt is the guy. 

well no sense in getting too much into this "Lawrence and Fields vastly overrated".......ummm, no.

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

well no sense in getting too much into this "Lawrence and Fields vastly overrated".......ummm, no.

Just my sense. I think I was wrong once in the past....I need to scour my archive but that might be the case! 

7 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Just checked my archive and the closest I could come was when I said, "This Tyler Starr guy has a chance to be a steal". Everybody has a bad day I guess!😜

41 minutes ago, slider said:

I agree with nearly everything you said except the Mac Jones Matt Ryan comparison. I believe  Mac Jones is a product of all the talent around him and coaching. He rarely has to make throws into tight windows because the receivers are wide open.   Matt Ryan didn't have that luxury which is why some labeled him a gun slinger in college both make good decisions with the football. 

I think Lawrence is by far the most talented QB in this class and outside of injury will have a great NFL career.  I think the success of  Fields, Jones and Wilson will be based on what team they get drafted to and how the organization handles their development. 

Edited by insight
21 minutes ago, insight said:

I agree with nearly everything you said except the Mac Jones Matt Ryan comparison. I believe  Mac Jones is a product of all the talent around him and coaching. He rarely has to make throws into tight windows because the receivers are wide open.   Matt Ryan didn't have that luxury which is why some labeled him a gun slinger in college both make good decisions with the football. 

I think Lawrence is by far the most talented QB in this class and outside of injury will have a great NFL career.  I think the success of  Fields, Jones and Wilson will be based on what team they get drafted to and how the organization handles their development. 

so draft one of them if they are there at #4 and let him learn and mature so he can be ready in year 2 or 3.

6 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Justin played fine.   obviously not his best game.   nothing went right for OSU and Bama played keep away from the offense - Trey Sermon goes down, etc, etc.

I remember after LSU last year everyone saying "you cannot draft AJ Terrell".....LOL.

You guys are funny.

To say he played fine is just a lie. It was one game but it’s a bad game. Don’t sugar coat it. One game doesn’t make a player tho.

13 hours ago, slider said:

Mac jones has average arm strength and just an all around average athlete. The reason these these top 3 qb's are soo high is because they possess elite skills that can take a good offense and make it elite ala mahomes, brady, brees.  Mac jones might be a good nfl qb someday but he wont ever be a guy that scares teams in the nfl. Fields, lawrence, wilson Possess the skills that give keep defensive coordinators up all night game planning for, if they pan out.

Edited by dapanch420

I haven't watched any of Fields this season but just watched YouTube against Penn State this season. I didn't like what I saw. 

• His feet are very lethargic. He takes 1-2 drops and then just stands there heavy footed going through his progressions. He doesn't do the little stutter steps to properly position himself as he scans the field. Once he has to move he is pretty fleet of foot, obviously, but the micro movements are nonexistent. 
  • Ohio State's scheme gets his receivers open pretty easily. He has a lot of easy completions. However, I don't feel his accuracy on these throws was very good. A lot of the throws were on comebacks where the receiver would shield the DB and then there wouldn't be any YAC. I didn't feel he was very efficient on these types of automatic plays. 
  • I don't love his throwing motion. It seems like he does a lot of aiming. 
  • I thought he was pretty good on broken plays. He throws pretty well on the run and from awkward angles. His motion is much better and the ball really launches. 
Edited by Summerhill
18 hours ago, insight said:

WE HAVE OUR WINNER!!!!! You hit the nail in the coffin with that post brother. That's it. Nothing else can be said afterwards.... exactly how I feel too. 

Rain Confetti GIF by De Stöppelkaters

17 hours ago, insight said:

If Mac Jones was on a team with less talent than Alabama he'd look pretty mediocre IMO, maybe even worse. He's just another one of those generic Bama QB's who isn't gonna have a NFL career at all (with the exception of Tua possibly). The best Mac Jones could be is a backup like AJ McCarron. Justin Fields or Trevor Lawrence with Bama's talent would look just as good or even a lot better. I said it before, but in the national championship game, if you switched Mac Jones and Justin Fields, Bama still wins by the same margin or worse. Imagine Justin Fields behind Bama's O-line combined with Najee Harris and DeVonta Smith. Or even Trevor Lawrence (it be like 2018 Trevor in the national title again).