About that soft zone defense

I'm talking about when the corners play several yards off the WRs and don't even try to press them.  The opposing QB just fires a ball out in the flat for five or six yards and has 2nd and short. I know there ware times when that is smart , like when we are protecting a lead, but our corners seem to do that much too often. I think this started when Quinn came here.  I don't think our opponents play that scheme nearly as often , and their CBs seem to give our WRs a hard check at the LOS and shadow our WRS a lot closer.  Somebody here who is a defensive Guru , please comment on this.  

Been a while since I was in the lid but i was a DB. If we’re giving steps there’s usually a good reason. Too fast, great feet, or killing clock. And I’m sure I’m forgetting others. 
But I wonder in our case if it’s some confidence in secondary?  A few steps and you can read even though you are giving more yards you might be able to stop the long leak. I don’t know, I really didn’t feel great about our secondary.  I like AJ and he has a bright future but the rest, dicey. 

In the cover 3 those outside CB's are going to be bailing deep most of the time anyway, the short throws aren't their responsibility. The whole scheme is predicated on giving up short throws without any YAC. 

The soft zones weren't the issue, it was that we either missed the tackles after the catch or our guys were out of position leading to big gains off those short catches. Didn't help that our Fs has been sub par forever, which makes the strength of the defense (Deeper throws) a weakness. It wasn't playing off that was the issue it was who we had on the followup that was a problem.