Who’s on board with - Fontenot - J Brady - Fields/Wilson

1 hour ago, hjerry said:

Serious question. How often do QBs picked on day 3 to be "groomed" ever amount to anything?

When has a draft had this many QBs who can be groomed into a potential starter?

Lawrence Fields Wilson Lance Jones Trask Book Mond Spencer Buechele Ehlinger Newman 

1 minute ago, falconsd56 said:

Mike shannahan failed his first go around as HC when he was young....and he was 36..he did not win until he was 44

Gruden was 35...and did not win until he was 37.

Guys like Shula and Madden were in very different eras where you had 5 or 6 years as a coach to get things going.

Not to mention Brady was a terrible OC last year. Let him prove to run an offense first, let alone the whole team. 

Just now, falconsd56 said:

Yup.

Again..I saw other panther games...their offense was meh.

Part of that was Teddy Bridgewater being meh.

Definitely, but he wasn’t creative. An offensive genius would have still worked around the players. 

1 hour ago, Sipifalcon said:

Might as well not pick a qb. Qbs picked in mid to late rounds rarely work out unless you want them to be a backup forever. We need to get his successor this yr while we pick high let's be real. We need a game changer at the qb position. 

Not when there is possibly 15 QBs in this draft who can be a potential starter. We haven't have a QB worthy draft like this in forever. This drsft is stupid stacked for defense unless we are getting rid of Matt no need to draft QB high.

28 minutes ago, CraigSmackDaddy said:

No thanks to all of it.

1.  Hiring Fontenot gives the Saints 2 3rd rounders right?  Correct me if I’m wrong.

2.  Not enough experience yet but wouldn’t hate it.  Would rather go with Mike McDaniel if we’re gonna go with a less experienced option at HC.  Brady is more like 4th or 5th on my list.

3.  Two years too early to draft a QB high in the draft.  

When is comes to Fontenot and all other minority picks look at it as a comp pick they sign somewhere else. The previous team gets a comp pick.

10 minutes ago, GATXBOI said:

Lawrence Fields Wilson Lance Jones Trask Book Mond Spencer Buechele Ehlinger Newman 

But the first three can be elite.....no other player in the draft can define the long term success of a franchise at #4

4 minutes ago, GATXBOI said:

When is comes to Fontenot and all other minority picks look at it as a comp pick they sign somewhere else. The previous team gets a comp pick.

And if we don’t sign him and someone else does they still get the pics, so if he is the right guy, the picks don’t factor into the decision.

8 minutes ago, GATXBOI said:

Not when there is possibly 15 QBs in this draft who can be a potential starter. We haven't have a QB worthy draft like this in forever. This drsft is stupid stacked for defense unless we are getting rid of Matt no need to draft QB high.

Oh ok well let's just draft one and hope for the best. Which is what we would definitely be doing in the later rounds. Look at history bro. If we gone strike out on a qb let's strike out big but if we don't strike out we have our FRANCHISE GUY is all im saying. Outside of Lawrence, Fields and Wilson its meh to me. Next guy i would either consider is Lance but I have doubts since we couldn't see him this yr. If we are switching coaches gm etc let's get the successor early. Now however every other position always have gems in the later rounds history proves that. The success of a team starts at qb and ours is 36 and iffy at the moment imo. 

15 minutes ago, GATXBOI said:

Actually, yeah, somebody says that about the QB room, pretty much every year, if not flat out every year

then a couple years later we talk about how none of them amounted to anything; it's just recency bias

Just now, Atl Falcon said:

But the first three can be elite.....no other player in the draft can define the long term success of a franchise at #4

That's the point all of those QBs have proven themselves

Mac Jones- 4yrs at bama came from the bottom to more athletic QBs and when given the chance shined bright like a diamond.

Kyle Trask- big arm didn't start since high school. But once he got on the field played ball.

Ian Book- hasn't Notre Dame been dominate since he took over at QB in 2017.

Kellen Mond- in texas there was a time he was considered better than Kylar Murray and Patrick Mahomes.

Shane Buechele- have you seen SMU offense the last two years brought UT QBs back too but lost the job to Ehlinger

Chase Ehlinger- brought big boy football back to UT beat Buechele out for the job and did a fine job. Just couldn't beat Oklahoma. But he did beat my Dawgs

7 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

And if we don’t sign him and someone else does they still get the pics, so if he is the right guy, the picks don’t factor into the decision.

Exactly if he gets a job the organization grtstthe picks. Just like if Morris gets an HC gig or Robinson gets a GM gig we get picks

7 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Exactly....the picks can’t factor in the decision 

1 hour ago, hjerry said:

Serious question. How often do QBs picked on day 3 to be "groomed" ever amount to anything?

This should be the end of the discussion, but unfortunately our gm and scouting dept must read these boards and actually agree with some of the nonsense posted here 

20 minutes ago, GATXBOI said:

Theyre all names bro can guarantee you only 2 or maybe 3 actually pans out the others will be backup or irrelevant at best

4 minutes ago, Sipifalcon said:

Oh ok well let's just draft one and hope for the best. Which is what we would definitely be doing in the later rounds. Look at history bro. If we gone strike out on a qb let's strike out big but if we don't strike out we have our FRANCHISE GUY is all im saying. Outside of Lawrence, Fields and Wilson its meh to me. Next guy i would either consider is Lance but I have doubts since we couldn't see him this yr. If we are switching coaches gm etc let's get the successor early. Now however every other position always have gems in the later rounds history proves that. The success of a team starts at qb and ours is 36 and iffy at the moment imo. 

Lance he ain't did squat I wouldn't dare take him. Folks said the same about Wentz and look how that turned out.

I rather take my chance with Jones Trask Book Mond Newman Buechele Ehlinger. They all played way better teams and actually improved the teams they played for.

Put this in another tread.. Just terrified of Fontenot

AD: How would you describe the Saints' overall draft/player-acquisition strategy that Fontenot could bring with him to Denver?

LJ: "Fontenot's role with the Saints mostly lay on the pro personnel side — meaning he contributed to free agent signings, waiver pickups and trade scouting. Generally, New Orleans has a physical template it wants players to fit into, but the organization also looks for players with a specific off-field make up. As Fontenot has taken on a larger role in recent seasons, the Saints have nailed a high degree of their veteran acquisitions — such as All-Pro linebacker Demario Davis, veteran corner Janoris Jenkins and running back Latavius Murray."

WHAT MORE DO WE NEED TO KNOW?? I want my GM to be a scout and draft...

5 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Actually, yeah, somebody says that about the QB room, pretty much every year, if not flat out every year

then a couple years later we talk about how none of them amounted to anything; it's just recency bias

Outside of the year Wilson and cousins got drafted.

When has their been a time when you have at least 12 out of the top 15 QBs in one draft be a starter. If half the league needed a QB this would be the draft.

4 minutes ago, Sipifalcon said:

Theyre all names bro can guarantee you only 2 or maybe 3 actually pans out the others will be backup or irrelevant at best

Right now you have 16 teams in the nfl who needs a QB whether next year or two years.

1 hour ago, Sipifalcon said:

Might as well not pick a qb. Qbs picked in mid to late rounds rarely work out unless you want them to be a backup forever. We need to get his successor this yr while we pick high let's be real. We need a game changer at the qb position. 

Lol! You for real? 

3 minutes ago, GATXBOI said:

Lance he ain't did squat I wouldn't dare take him. Folks said the same about Wentz and look how that turned out.

I rather take my chance with Jones Trask Book Mond Newman Buechele Ehlinger. They all played way better teams and actually improved the teams they played for.

If thats on the table let's draft of those guys in the late rounds not the mid to be a backup since Schaub is gone. Can't waste a mid pick on a project qb with the holes we have mid picks have fared well on every other position than qb. And if it works out where the qb pick becomes starter so be it but im not as enthused with those names as u seem to be. 

Just now, nomak said:

Lol! You for real? 

Yes indeed not to be the successor at qb after Ryan. I would draft one late to be a backup since Schaub is gone and if it works out it works out but im dead *** serious. I would consider drafting one in the 6th at the earliest if we don't address it in the 1st.

26 minutes ago, GATXBOI said:

Ryans days are numbered like it or not.. Blank has even publicly said if the new HC isnt on board with Ryan he can go.. Get the best qb now because opportunities dosnt come often like we have now unless we consistently suck the next few seasons.. Build now to possibly end the heartache years to come