Sources: New Orleans Saints executive Terry Fontenot one of 'two or three finalists' for Atlanta Falcons GM job

8 minutes ago, realhomie81 said:

I like Fontenot based what I've read but I said this in another post a GM to me is nothing more than a glorified accountant. Which means his main responsibility is to make the best deals for the team and keeps us from having cap issues. Who ever fills that position needs to know how to do that very well. Let's be honest GMs don't do a ton of scouting, that's why teams have scouting departments. So the person we hire for that position even if they're a scout or head of the department that will no longer be their role. And at the end of the day I think the HC has the final say so on players anyway. Either way let's just hope the FO hires the best person for the job. 

We still have Nick Polk.

Nick Polk enters his 11th season as director of football operations in 2018. He spent five seasons as the club's director of football administration and enters his 16th year overall with the team. He works closely with General Manager Thomas Dimitroff on all contract proposals, negotiations, and salary cap management. Polk also helps coordinate the Falcons compliance with the NFL's Collective Bargaining Agreement and labor-related issues.

Our cap may not look like it right now but he's very good at it. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds like it's between Rick Smith and Fontenot. I prefer Fontenot but either way I like who they've narrowed it down to.

You mean Ireland that took OT Jake Long over QB Matt Ryan when he didn’t have a legit QB? Ireland is a good personnel man but he did a poor job when he got his shot as “the guy” with the big GM c

Sources: New Orleans Saints executive Terry Fontenot one of 'two or three finalists' for Atlanta Falcons GM job Adam Schefter ESPN Senior Writer New Orleans Saints vice president/assist

16 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

You aren’t getting Harris in the 2nd. And no thank you on Wade in the 2nd. He hasn’t looked that good this year in the games I saw. 

I definitely agree its a long shot to get Harris in the 2nd but its still possible. There have been plenty of times where we have thought someone is going much higher in the draft and they go in a later round. RB is a position that is not valued any more in the NFL and if someone drops, more than likely its gonna be a RB. But my main concern is getting a Puss Rusher, we can get a RB in the 3rd or 4th round if need be. 

Just now, Dem Birds said:

We still have Nick Polk.

Nick Polk enters his 11th season as director of football operations in 2018. He spent five seasons as the club's director of football administration and enters his 16th year overall with the team. He works closely with General Manager Thomas Dimitroff on all contract proposals, negotiations, and salary cap management. Polk also helps coordinate the Falcons compliance with the NFL's Collective Bargaining Agreement and labor-related issues.

Our cap may not look like it right now but he's very good at it. 

True but he learned from TD and you see how our cap situation is looking right now. 

19 minutes ago, Zeke_iBuyiSellHomes said:

I definitely agree its a long shot to get Harris in the 2nd but its still possible. There have been plenty of times where we have thought someone is going much higher in the draft and they go in a later round. RB is a position that is not valued any more in the NFL and if someone drops, more than likely its gonna be a RB. But my main concern is getting a Puss Rusher, we can get a RB in the 3rd or 4th round if need be. 

Personally i wouldn’t take a RB in the 1st. So if we can get Harris in the 2nd that would be a major win for us. Would love it

Fontenot has been lro scout his whole career, I wanted him too till I understood that just seems strange to go after someone that hasn't done amazingly well drafting , I'm sure he does do some college stuff but that's the name of the game drafting it's how u win in the nfl.

1 hour ago, Zeke_iBuyiSellHomes said:

Puss rushers are always in high demand. Lmao

3 hours ago, ATLSAGE said:

My gut tells me that Rick Smith and Blank probably have a deal in place already. We'll see what happens. I hope they announce a GM selection by Friday.

3 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

I still get the feeling that Rick Smith is our pick.  It feels the Falcons move.

If he was he'd be hired by now. There's nothing stopping the Falcons from hiring Rick Smith right now afaik.

21 minutes ago, Mr.11 said:

If he was he'd be hired by now. There's nothing stopping the Falcons from hiring Rick Smith right now afaik.

It depends.  How things look can be very important.  Arthur would be comfortable with Smith, but is basically interviewing as many as possible.  Although I still believe the job is Smith's to lose, Arthur is a smart man and wants to see what is offered by others.  It's just a hunch.  My guess stands.  If Arthur does not get the warm feeling that the folks he is interviewing has THE plan ready and right, he will feel comfortable to select Rick Smith officially.

43 minutes ago, chris2010 said:

I think Holmes is in the top 2-3 as well. **** he already lives in Atlanta (Not LA). I think if it was going to be Smith we would have already made the hire.  No reason to not go ahead and get him assembling his staff and preparing for coaching interviews, draft prep, etc. 

At the year end press conference, Blank mentioned wanting to be a part of the community was important to him. Since Holmes is already living in Atlanta, that should definitely put him at the top. Personally, I think Rick Smith getting an interview was just McKay doing a friend a favor 

5 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Sounds like it's between Rick Smith and Fontenot. I prefer Fontenot but either way I like who they've narrowed it down to.

if the difference between the two is marginal then signing Rick Smith doesn't give the Saints two 3rd rounders. its interesting that by compensating teams with draft picks for "grooming" candidates actually puts the minority candidates at a disadvantage...

5 hours ago, FalconDawg28 said:

I would honestly rather have Fontenot, Brown or Holmes over Rick Smith. I wish we could pair Fontenot as GM and one of Brown or Holmes as assistant GM that would cover both pro scouting and college scouting. I know we have several former GMs on staff But the best teams have tons of young talented executives and scouts. 

I would prefer Fontenot, or maybe Champ Kelly. I do not want Rick Smith at all. That's just another wasted decade in the making.