NFL Wildcard Weekend Thread

i know it's been said a few times but great job keeping this thread on the rails this weekend everybody. started teetering on the edge a few times, but we kept it from getting derailed too badly at any point.

stuck at home with the kids it's always good to have a couple dozen to watch the games with.

....turns out it WILL go away if you ignore it.

:golfclap:

3 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I hate all 4 teams left in the NFC with a passion but gotta go with the Rams to hopefully make the Super Bowl. But that won't happen. Guess I'll root for Tom Brady. 🤢🤮

Face it, you mainly hate them because they have what you don’t have. Especially the Saints and Sean Payton. Since he has been there, they’ve had a few rough patches but rarely because of bad coaching. 

I’ll have no problem watching these games. Brady vs Brees in a high stakes playoff game? If you love football then that’s a must-see dream game! Why get emotionally involved by rooting for someone to the point of hate? Sit back and enjoy the greatness. And looking ahead, since the NFC quarterbacks remains are mostly old guard all time greats and the AFC guys are all the young lion future greats, this Super Bowl might signal the official passing of the torch to the new generation. Rodgers, Brees, Brady vs Mahomes, Mayfield, Allen, or Lamar Jackson? Man I can’t wait!

12 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Still hoping for a Rodgers vs Allen matchup in the big game. There are a lot of enticing scenarios, but that’s the one I am hoping for.

You know, when the Ravens are still hanging around the playoffs this late, it’s usually because of their defense as it was yesterday. They have this way of shutting down the great players and forcing the rest of the team to beat them. And now they have a budding QB playing great and historically they always play well on the road.  It’s always hard for me not to give them a chance. I’m not rooting for them so much but I have to respect how Harbaugh always has them ready this time of year. 

I really think the NFC is wide open. You’d naturally go with Brady, Brees or Rodgers but the Rams are playing like a team that could surprise folks. Going into Lambeau in January will be tough for the SoCal crowd but if they survive that then the Saints and Bucs both look beatable. 

22 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Still hoping for a Rodgers vs Allen matchup in the big game. There are a lot of enticing scenarios, but that’s the one I am hoping for.

I don’t have a favorite matchup but I do have a least favorite matchup. Would rather not have a Brady-Mayfield matchup. Brady doesn’t need a 7th ring and further crowning of his greatness, and I don’t know, there’s just something about Mayfield that rubs me the wrong way. He’s not the punk he was in college but just not a fan yet. Although I will say he was very classy in his post game interview yesterday. 

Least preferred for me would be Saints vs Chiefs. Saints is self explanatory, and just so much young/new talent that I would like to see a new face in the AFC. Not to mention if Saints beat the Chiefs there will be even more of a love fest and I don’t want that for them or their obnoxious fans lol.

Speaking of rivalries, I gotta say must really suck to be a Steelers fan...bad loss, and knowing that 50% of the remaining field for the AFC is your two biggest rivals...well I guess that part is just like being a Falcons fan except we choked away a whole season, not just the last 1/3 of it.

16 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Hopefully your interview would be based off of more than 1 game but who am I kidding.

My response is linked to ongoing discussion in other threads. I'm begging people for examples of the scheme genius. To me (I watch more HS football than College ball) it looks a lot like what many HS teams run. Read option + verticals and seams off of play action. You've got to have some combination of a QB + RB where one is uniquely good and the other is above average to make that work. What I saw yesterday was pretty much what I see on Saturday nights when a running game gets stuffed and a team becomes one dimensional.

So, my observation is not based on one game. That said, confirmation bias is a factor. We all latch onto data points that highlight the dangers in our unanswered questions. How is AS in any way a scheme master? That is all I'm asking for examples of. I've seen the film breakdown of a defense flowing with Henry while Tannehill boots off of the stretch fake and either throws a pass or runs and keeper the other way. Fundamental discipline by a sufficiently talented defense will often create problems of those looks. Most games Henry is just going to break a couple against any opponent. That didn't happen this weekend. I get that, but I'd expect more in the way of scheme changes to make something happen.

Not veering from being a Falcons fan. But c’mon, I’m really happy for the Browns. They have crazy loyal fans and they’ve been through a lot. I don’t know if that mojo/luck holds out v KC but yesterday was awesome. I’ve heard if Big Ben’s tears hit the ground a flower grows. 
And with basically throwing together that O line?  That’s some stand up play. Granted Bake has quick release so he doesn’t need them to hold very long. But still, it’s a cool story and they got my beer raised next week.  They have some play makers so who knows. 

And hey, it will be us very soon!  And maybe some dude in the north will have a glass for the ATL on that day.  

15 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Y'all remember, the Browns do have their own history of postseason heartbreak.

2 of their most historic postseason heartbreaks happened against an opposing team who's QB wore #7....

Elway twice, ‘86 and ‘87. And don’t forget 1980 when they and the Falcons were the top seeds and favored to be in the Super Bowl. They had a heartbreaking loss to Oakland the day before the Falcons melted down against Dallas. Brian Sipe was their quarterback. 

10 hours ago, Michael Scott said:

Face it, you mainly hate them because they have what you don’t have. Especially the Saints and Sean Payton. Since he has been there, they’ve had a few rough patches but rarely because of bad coaching. 

I’ll have no problem watching these games. Brady vs Brees in a high stakes playoff game? If you love football then that’s a must-see dream game! Why get emotionally involved by rooting for someone to the point of hate? Sit back and enjoy the greatness. And looking ahead, since the NFC quarterbacks remains are mostly old guard all time greats and the AFC guys are all the young lion future greats, this Super Bowl might signal the official passing of the torch to the new generation. Rodgers, Brees, Brady vs Mahomes, Mayfield, Allen, or Lamar Jackson? Man I can’t wait!

I've hated the Patriots since Bill Parcells was coaching there. I've always hated the Patriots. Don't tell me who I hate and why I hate them.

2 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I've hated the Patriots since Bill Parcells was coaching there. I've always hated the Patriots. Don't tell me who I hate and why I hate them.

I need you to explain to me why you hate them then. There has to be a root cause. I can only surmise that in general you hate good coaching. You love the Falcons and you love Auburn. You hate the Saints and Patriots and obviously you hate Alabama.  That’s the only common threads I see. 

Edited by Michael Scott

22 minutes ago, Michael Scott said:

I need you to explain to me why you hate them then. There has to be a root cause. I can only surmise that in general you hate good coaching. You love the Falcons and you love Auburn. You hate the Saints and Patriots and obviously you hate Alabama.  That’s the only common threads I see. 

I don't have to explain to you why I hate them. It should be pretty clear why I hate them. You're being absolutely ridiculous about this and I will not have a ridiculous back and forth with you. This is the last comment I'll make on the subject.