I have concerns about EB being the right guy to lead the Falcons moving forward.   His struggles the only time he called plays are well documented.  But let’s compare the two coordinators

Everyone would agree that EB has far more talent across the board to work with than Smith.  It’s an embarrassment of riches.  Then look at Smith, who took a discarded QB and blended his skillset perfectly with a dominant run game.  The results speak for themselves.  The Titans franchise has been transformed into an NFL powerhouse.  Since Tannehill took over, here is the Smith vs EB comparison (23 Games):

I. Bieniemy:

• Rushing:  2,400 rush yards,

•. Passing:   7,300 passing yards,

• Redzone Scoring: 12th Overall

• Yards Per Point: 14.1

• Run Play Percent: 38% 23rd Overall

• Scoring Percent: 47% for 5th overall

II. Arthur Smith

• Rushing: 4,000 yards rushing

• Passing: 6,359 passing yards

• Redzone Scoring: 2nd Overall

• Yards Per Point: 12.9 

• Run Play Percent: 51% 3rd Overall

• Scoring Percent: 48% for 4th overall

My Biggest Takeaway: the Chiefs redzone scoring is a concern.  With all that talent the Chiefs are an average offense in the red area.  My gut says EB is a product of unique talent at every level of his offense.  On the other side Smith has outperformed Bieniemy in every meaningful stat and has done so with significantly less talent. This comparison is not even close if I’m being honest.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have concerns about EB being the right guy to lead the Falcons moving forward.   His struggles the only time he called plays are well documented.  But let’s compare the two coordinators Everyon

And who can forget the Chiefs being completely shut down by an average Falcons defense.  That was an awful showing for EB

You can't say this and also say EB doesn't call the plays. Can't have it both ways.

Ok I’m stupid so lay it on me. 
But my challenge in this comparison is that KC and TN run different offenses but to me they are closer to each other than they are to the Falcons in that they have TE and ground short games and semi-mobile (30+ yards most games) QBs. So my dumb question is how well would either fit regarding our current roster and would it all depend on whether we pick up a solid RB?  I think we have better WRs but I don’t see that as the bigger delta. 
Lay it on me. Because on paper they are my 2 favorites. 

1 minute ago, Killing Floor said:

Ok I’m stupid so lay it on me. 
But my challenge in this comparison is that KC and TN run different offenses but to me they are closer to each other than they are to the Falcons in that they have TE and ground short games and semi-mobile (30+ yards most games) QBs. So my dumb question is how well would either fit regarding our current roster and would it all depend on whether we pick up a solid RB?  I think we have better WRs but I don’t see that as the bigger delta. 
Lay it on me. Because on paper they are my 2 favorites. 

We know Smith can find a specific skillset in his Qb and build an offense around the players strengths.  We don’t know what EB is without Mahomes

7 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

We know Smith can find a specific skillset in his Qb and build an offense around the players strengths.  We don’t know what EB is without Mahomes

Thanks. I get that. Mahomes is an outlier. So probably there are a lot of KC factors that are really Mahomes factors. He’s like a video game so I get it’s hard to tease stats. I like what Smith has done at TN even with some disruption on the roster.  I love the interaction between Reid and Mahomes but I do also believe that he’s more the evil genius but how could EB not learn from him. 
Smith seems like the better bet but I guess we see next fall. 

33 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I have concerns about EB being the right guy to lead the Falcons moving forward.   His struggles the only time he called plays are well documented.  But let’s compare the two coordinators

Everyone would agree that EB has far more talent across the board to work with than Smith.  It’s an embarrassment of riches.  Then look at Smith, who took a discarded QB and blended his skillset perfectly with a dominant run game.  The results speak for themselves.  The Titans franchise has been transformed into an NFL powerhouse.  Since Tannehill took over, here is the Smith vs EB comparison (23 Games):

I. Bieniemy:

• Rushing:  2,400 rush yards,

•. Passing:   7,300 passing yards,

• Redzone Scoring: 12th Overall

• Yards Per Point: 14.1

• Run Play Percent: 38% 23rd Overall

• Scoring Percent: 47% for 5th overall

II. Arthur Smith

• Rushing: 4,000 yards rushing

• Passing: 6,359 passing yards

• Redzone Scoring: 2nd Overall

• Yards Per Point: 12.9 

• Run Play Percent: 51% 3rd Overall

• Scoring Percent: 48% for 4th overall

My Biggest Takeaway: the Chiefs redzone scoring is a concern.  With all that talent the Chiefs are an average offense in the red area.  My gut says EB is a product of unique talent at every level of his offense.  On the other side Smith has outperformed Bieniemy in every meaningful stat and has done so with significantly less talent. This comparison is not even close if I’m being honest.

Great research

11 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Agreed. Not many Mahomes are available. Tannehill was an after thought yet he made him into a top 10 QB in 2020 maybe top 5 honestly. Henry certainly helps but who can honestly debate Tannehill over Ryan? In-the-moment thinkers? Image Matty Ice with Henry.. Its the burner all over again if not better obviously. Thats why hiring Arthur Smith while drafting a guy like Najee Harris is so intruding.. Ryan works best off of play action. And when you have a guy that consistently threatens the ground game he looks like an MVP QB. Give him the time an all-pro RB takes up and his timing shows, he's an All-pro QB. Thats what we need

a poster who lives in the nashville area commented a while back that smith spent the offseason anticipating how teams were going to defend the titans offense this year, and made adjustments and variations based off of the possible defensive schemes they could be facing.

as was mentioned already, he assessed the strenghts and weaknesses of all the personnel on the offense and developed him schemes to maximize their production.

and he's an o-lineman by trade so his blocking schemes are lineman-friendly, gotta keep them hoggies firing!

23 minutes ago, Killing Floor said:

Thanks. I get that. Mahomes is an outlier. So probably there are a lot of KC factors that are really Mahomes factors. He’s like a video game so I get it’s hard to tease stats. I like what Smith has done at TN even with some disruption on the roster.  I love the interaction between Reid and Mahomes but I do also believe that he’s more the evil genius but how could EB not learn from him. 
Smith seems like the better bet but I guess we see next fall. 

Exactly. One would assume KC’s offense would outperform the Titans considering the Mahomes factor

1 minute ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

You can't say this and also say EB doesn't call the plays. Can't have it both ways.

Also a valid point.  It’s tough to know what to measure when evaluating EB.  

That’s why I ultimately always revert back to his two years at the University of Colorado. That was the only time he called the plays....and the team fielded the worst offense in college football for two straight years

8 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

a poster who lives in the nashville area commented a while back that smith spent the offseason anticipating how teams were going to defend the titans offense this year, and made adjustments and variations based off of the possible defensive schemes they could be facing.

as was mentioned already, he assessed the strenghts and weaknesses of all the personnel on the offense and developed him schemes to maximize their production.

and he's an o-lineman by trade so his blocking schemes are lineman-friendly, gotta keep them hoggies firing!

100%.  Great post, bro.  Smith is the anti-Dirk

2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Also a valid point.  It’s tough to know what to measure when evaluating EB.  

That’s why I ultimately always revert back to his two years at the University of Colorado. That was the only time he called the plays....and the team fielded the worst offense in college football for two straight years

But how long ago was it? Listen I respect the post, but it's clearly leaning a certain way.

There was much mention of Mahomes in this thread, but did we even mention Henry as an outlier himself?

Both coaches have a dominant player attached to them. 

12 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

3 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

100%.  Great post, bro.  Smith is the anti-Dirk

Well funny thing is...Dan Quinn did this same exact thing but for the defense in the offseason.

All I can say is that Bieniemy has earned a chance to be a head coach somewhere. I wouldn't be upset if its here because we don't know. The same can be said abt A Smith its all chance honestly. I have no clue what either of them would be like in charge!

Edited by Sipifalcon
Just now, Sipifalcon said:

All I can say is that Bieniemy has earned a chance to be a head coach somewhere. I wouldn't be upset if its here because we don't know. The same can be said abt A Smith its all chance honestly. I have no clue what either of them would be like in charge!

I could live with either or

I like EB and I do want him here with the team players we have and may have coming.  We talk about the difference between the two and it’s the running game.  Patrick has survived without a decent running game.  If we had a running game out here Patrick’s play action pass game would be even greater.  If you take Henry away from that offense and they had to rely on the pass only, Tannehill would not have the two seasons he’s had.  Ppl knock EB bc he’s not the main play caller and I get that.  BUT we really have to look at all the pieces to see who’s really ready to step in.