Make Mike McDaniel HC and call it a day

I responded in the Todd Bowles thread today that I’d rather have Raheem than Todd especially if he brings Mike McDaniels on as his OC and have thought the same thing about someone scooping him up as a HC in a year or two.  With that said... I’d be cool with hiring him as a HC.  I’d rather have him than than Bienemy... 

4 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

You can always promote Mike McDaniel to head coach and demote or fire Raheem Morris like we probably should have done with Kyle and Dan Quinn.

Dude that has never happened and probably will never happen in the history of pro sports. Does ethics mean anything to you?

I wouldn't bre opposed to this idea, like any other coach you'd like to know who he'd bring in as his staff and its very hard to discern (as fans) if a guy is head coach material.  Can he managed egos, coaching a team and not just calling plays?  And again (as fans) we don't know how much of these running games performing very well has to do with him

14 hours ago, Knight of God said:

I dont care about his playcalling. Can he lead? That's what I need to know. If not then we miss the point of HEAD coach.

This board's fascination with play calling is so over the top it makes me think that without a doubt, if this decision was taking place 20 years ago the majority would've chosen the hotshot offensive genius of the moment, Mike Martz, over the retread Bill Belichick.

1 hour ago, k-train said:

This board's fascination with play calling is so over the top it makes me think that without a doubt, if this decision was taking place 20 years ago the majority would've chosen the hotshot offensive genius of the moment, Mike Martz, over the retread Bill Belichick.

Facts

1 hour ago, k-train said:

Do I get Brady as a package deal or nah? 👀

On 1/7/2021 at 8:47 PM, Knight of God said:

I dont care about his playcalling. Can he lead? That's what I need to know. If not then we miss the point of HEAD coach.

It’s not an “either / or” choice. Yes, the new HC needs to lead. But if it’s an offensive choice, he needs to be able to call a good game too so that we stop with this merry go round of play callers for our offense. 

Being a leader without the ability to call good plays gets us Dan Quinn. 

53 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

It’s not an “either / or” choice. Yes, the new HC needs to lead. But if it’s an offensive choice, he needs to be able to call a good game too so that we stop with this merry go round of play callers for our offense. 

Being a leader without the ability to call good plays gets us Dan Quinn. 

Dan Quinn could call plays, was not a leader. More like a best buddy.

7 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Dan Quinn could call plays, was not a leader. More like a best buddy.

I respectfully disagree. Dan was a pretty good leader. He even rallied the troops last year to ultimately save his and TDs jobs. It was his ineptitude as a coach and lack of fundamentals as a teacher that led to his demise. But his team supported him as they would any good leader.

OK, that’s it. I’m done complimenting DQ. Was never and a fan of his from the start. I just don’t think leadership qualities were where he fell short. 

Just now, Voice of Reason said:

I respectfully disagree. Dan was a pretty good leader. He even rallied the troops last year to ultimately save his and TDs jobs. It was his ineptitude as a coach and lack of fundamentals as a teacher that led to his demise. But his team supported him as they would any good leader.

OK, that’s it. I’m done complimenting DQ. Was never and a fan of his from the start. I just don’t think leadership qualities were where he fell short. 

He was a poor leader. Just because people like you and will work for you, it doesnt mean that you can lead. The two are constantly confused in life. People can follow, but can you lead? He was bad at it.

And to my original point, I don’t think those calling for a good play caller are suggesting we do this at the cost of having a good leader. That just gets us back to Petrino. But many feel this team made the mistake in purposely and admittingly made the decision to build its roster around the strengths of its offense, but failed to continue this commitment when it came to the coaching staff. They, too, should have been molded around the offensive strength of this team if that was the decision they were making. 

5 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

He was a poor leader. Just because people like you and will work for you, it doesnt mean that you can lead. The two are constantly confused in life. People can follow, but can you lead? He was bad at it.

I’ll agree to disagree. Not about being liked, but if you can make men work for you, you’re leading them. 

Now you may not be leading them to where they need to go, but that’s not what we’re discussing. 

You want a coach that can lead. We all want a coach that can lead, but we want that “leader” to be headed the right way and make the right decisions. DQ could lead. He just didn’t know what he needed to guide us towards. 

Ugh, again, agree to disagree so I can quit talking good about DQ. 😅

Just now, Voice of Reason said:

I’ll agree to disagree. Not about being liked, but if you can make men work for you, you’re leading them. 

Now you may not be leading them to where they need to go, but that’s not what we’re discussing. 

You want a coach that can lead. We all want a coach that can lead, but we want that “leader” to be headed the right way and make the right decisions. DQ could lead. He just didn’t know what he needed to guide us towards. 

Ugh, again, agree to disagree so I can quit talking good about DQ. 😅

If you lead people to failure, you're not a very good leader. You suck at it and they are only following a title at that point. He could call defensive plays...was mediocre...but he could. I've listen to ex Falcons saying he was a nice guy, but all he had was words and quotes. 

34 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

And to my original point, I don’t think those calling for a good play caller are suggesting we do this at the cost of having a good leader. That just gets us back to Petrino. But many feel this team made the mistake in purposely and admittingly made the decision to build its roster around the strengths of its offense, but failed to continue this commitment when it came to the coaching staff. They, too, should have been molded around the offensive strength of this team if that was the decision they were making. 

Any guy who has made it to the NFL as a coordinator has leadership qualities. Dan Quinn was a great leader in my opinion, you only have to look at the Brotherhood culture DQ instilled here. Kyle Shanahan raves about DQ's leadership abilities.  Raheem is good leader, Ulbrich too, but leadership alone won't guarantee success. You need more than that. Whilst we have a great culture off the field, it hasn't translated to an identity on it and that's on the coaching (X&O's) not due to leadership issues.

Thanks for posting this OP.  I enjoyed this review by Brian Baldinger as much as anything I’ve watched in some time. Then again, I quite enjoy Baldy most always as it is. 
I am not as worried about a coach’s personality as much as I am his brilliance at scheming, strategy & ability to think & adjust. 

We saw how personalities work without the brilliance while DQ was here.  Men will follow success & know-how.  Dirk Koetter is incapable of implementing what we see in this video & our team suffered because of it.  
Our team will only be as good as whatever brilliant minds we choose to put in place in Atlanta.  

Point blank. All coaches know their Xs and Os. You dont want your HC to necessarily be the play caller, but I think...maybe...i understand what you're all saying. I do know that I dont like the same brand of football most of this fanbase seems to enjoy, but we all want to win. I can say that much.