Nathaniel Hackett Interviewing for HC Today

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Im sure there there will be lot of debate surrounding Hackett. One of the first known candidates linked to the Falcons.

Fontenot interview must’ve gone well lol   

there are a lot of bright offensive minds that we can get to be head coaches - Daboll, Smith, Brady, Hackett, etc.   - getting these guys ensures you have a good playcaller - the key is "Do any of these guys also have the right stuff to be head coaches?"    You gotta get both.    I look at OCs as more sophisticated egg-head types and DCs as more neanderthal cavemen types - both have their plusses and minuses when it comes to being a Head Coach.

I really do want an OC who has a great design of offense, adaptable and play-calling - just need him to have the type of leadership, hiring ability and management styles to work with an entire team.  Not an easy transition for ANYONE who has never done it before.    Remember, even the greatest HC of all time - Bill Belicheck - got fired by the Cleveland Browns.

5 minutes ago, Rings said:

Years as OC DVOA Rankings

JAX
2016: 27th
2017: 15th
2018: 30th

GB
2019: 8th
2020: 1st

How much of his struggle in Jax was bad QB play and overall bad roster, how much of his success in GB is Rodgers / LaFleur?  Not leaning either way but some food for thought.

Good question.  I’ll give it a shot...

Jacksonville hasn’t really been a beacon of offensive talent.  Blake Bortles as your QB...c’mon lol.  But he made it work to get them to the playoffs in 2017 (5th in scoring,  6th in yards)

In 2018 they were off to a great start offensively and the team started with a 3-1 record, but then the wheels fell off.  First of all, Blake Bortles...c’mon man. If I’m not mistaken I believe that’s the year ALL their WR got hurt and Fournette’s production dropped dramatically.  That’s the year Ramsey got perturbed and Marrone couldn’t hold the locker room together.

QBs that Hackett has had before Rodgers:

Kyle Orton, EJ Manuel, Blake Bortles

Talent matters on any NFL roster, but that Jags team was really Hackett making lemon meringue pie out of oranges.

23 minutes ago, Rings said:

JAX

GB

How much of his struggle in Jax was bad QB play and overall bad roster, how much of his success in GB is Rodgers / LaFleur?  Not leaning either way but some food for thought.

He seems to be learning from his past and improving. Haha

I could get behind Hackett. Mainly because my wife is a GB fan, and I could rub it in that we stole her guy. Haha

Smack down would be on at my house.

I'm personally bigger on Hackett and Daboll than anybody. Hackett is the easiest transition for how we have been drafting and signing players for our offense the last 5 or 6 years.

That's important. We can't just switch to something a bit more power run with the way our OL for examplenis set up. Not a huge overhaul but not a small one either.

2 minutes ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

I'm personally bigger on Hackett and Daboll than anybody. Hackett is the easiest transition for how we have been drafting and signing players for our offense the last 5 or 6 years.

That's important. We can't just switch to something a bit more power run with the way our OL for examplenis set up. Not a huge overhaul but not a small one either.

Yeah I agree. From an offensive standpoint, Hackett would be an almost seamless transition for Matt and the rest of the offensive personnel. I guess the question I have is the one I have for every other first time HC - can he lead and manage an entire team, not just his side of the ball. 

37 minutes ago, Rings said:

JAX

GB

Shanahan had sort of middling to low numbers too until he got here.  It's the Xs and Os and the Jimmys and Joes.  You have to have both.

Just now, NWFALCON said:

I just checked his coaching history. He has been OC of teams that have ran both Air Coryell and West Coast style offenses. I can see him reaching out to Doug Marrone as an OC or offensive/assistant head coach. 

Marone fired him in Jacksonville and from what I understand he wasn't happy about it. Thought Marone threw him under the bus and made him a scapegoat.