Terry Fontenot Interviewed for GM

1 hour ago, direwolf said:

Honestly, it is a factor. Not a dominant factor, but a factor nonetheless and it will be used in marketing if there's an angle. I remember Dimitroff being hired and our marketing being "Come see the new team and our new GM from the New England Patriots". We piggy-backed on their brand because of their record of success.

Exactly this team is **** near irrelevant people in the media think we want to retain Morris or hire someone like Marvin Lewis but they give all the hype candidates to other teams what they say ultimately doesn’t matter but it tells you how we’re viewed ... as an irrelevant franchise who isn’t sexy at all now you add Eric B and a Justin Fields to ATL all of a sudden we get some Sunday Night games we get talked about the fans are interested revenue goes up Winning always comes first but this is a business only one team can win the SB but you have to be relevant 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The extroverted, high-energy son of legendary West Coast offense practitioner Paul Hackett, Nathaniel has proven to be the perfect consigliere to LaFleur – not only when it comes to drawing up X's and

bring em home, TD!             wait...

11 hours ago, hjerry said:

So we're not a "real franchise" if we don't make those 2 specific hires? Lol

What will "invigorate" the fanbase isn't a specific GM hire. It's wins. I don't see the massive leap in quality from Riddick, who doesn't have much front office experience at all, to Fontenot personally. Same for Bienemy and Hackett. If you like Bienemy why wouldn't you like Hackett, they basically are both OC of two of the top offenses in the NFL but both coach under HCs that are in charge of the offense. 

14 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Carmichael has called a full season when Sean was out for the year and they ended up one of the top 3 offenses in ypg and ppg that season.  So im fully on board bringing Pete in as our HC as long as he brings that system along with him as i know he can for sure call the plays in the system right.

So let me get this straight, you want to try and play against Payton twice a year with a playbook that he’s the architect of?

tenor.gif

22 hours ago, Iron Saint said:

Let’s just rename Atlanta to New Orleans East and slap some fleur-de-lis on y’all helmets and call it a day. :lol: 

Pro scouting only

Indeed, but do y’all really want to give us extra 3rd round picks with how we’ve been crushing that round as of late? 😉

We already have a free 3rd coming this year from the Panthers signing Bridgewater to a $20M/year deal last season. 

Hey men just a quick question.. everybody here love Fontenot.. but it seems the drafts in NO started getting good once Jeff Ireland came on board.. Im I missing something or does Fontenot has a lot of say in the draft just being director of PRO Personal??

4 hours ago, Iron Saint said:

So let me get this straight, you want to try and play against Payton twice a year with a playbook that he’s the architect of?

tenor.gif

Sure if that same playbook can beat the other 14 teams we play the majority of the time.  Plus that just gives our defense more practice to stop that Saints offense after seeing it so often lol.   You act like 2 games wins you the whole division when it's a very small part of it every year and don't even come close to thinking we can't still beat yall with that same playbook as we did it last year with a much worse headcoach and OC.  Even you would have to admit going against the Saints playbook and a very good mind like Pete would be harder to stop than Koetter and Quinns sorry ***** XD

7 hours ago, Iron Saint said:

tenor.gif

Funny but he is not the architect of it.

He is a parcels  deville.

He put his spin on it but it actually is not to far off from what we have run the last 2 years at its core.

People here get wayyyyyyy too caught up in words like system and scheme.

On 1/6/2021 at 5:08 PM, FentayeJones said:

The extroverted, high-energy son of legendary West Coast offense practitioner Paul Hackett, Nathaniel has proven to be the perfect consigliere to LaFleur – not only when it comes to drawing up X's and O's, but also as it relates to the cultural shift that's swept through the Packers' locker room over the past two years.

"There's nobody in the building that brings me more joy or is more fun to be around than Nathaniel Hackett," said Rodgers on Wednesday. "He's become such a close confidant and friend besides a fantastic coach. I just really, really can't express enough how important he is to our team in so many ways."

Hackett's football IQ came as advertised, especially after a two-year stint calling offensive plays for Jacksonville, but what has blown away LaFleur the most is the energy Hackett brings into the building every day.

"He's our 'glue guy,' he puts it all together, man," LaFleur said. "He's one of the most organized guys, people, I've ever been around. He can do the job of about four people. He is a machine that can just knock out work. He's so intelligent, knows everything that's going on, whether it's in the O-line room, quarterback room, tight ends, running backs, doesn't matter.

"I know this: We wouldn't be where we are today without him."

Pretty dam persuasive. Hope he gets a very close look.

On 1/7/2021 at 3:47 PM, Fernando C. said:

Hey men just a quick question.. everybody here love Fontenot.. but it seems the drafts in NO started getting good once Jeff Ireland came on board.. Im I missing something or does Fontenot has a lot of say in the draft just being director of PRO Personal??

Hahah, apologies I'm a bit late on seeing this, but I think you were able to get your answer in the other thread.

But yeah, as other have said, Fontenot gets a slight input in drafting (like Ireland gets slight input in free agent acquisitions). I'd certainly rather keep him onboard considering he's been groomed in our system for the last decade and change.

On 1/7/2021 at 6:43 PM, FalconFan13 said:

Sure if that same playbook can beat the other 14 teams we play the majority of the time.  Plus that just gives our defense more practice to stop that Saints offense after seeing it so often lol.   You act like 2 games wins you the whole division when it's a very small part of it every year and don't even come close to thinking we can't still beat yall with that same playbook as we did it last year with a much worse headcoach and OC.  Even you would have to admit going against the Saints playbook and a very good mind like Pete would be harder to stop than Koetter and Quinns sorry ***** XD

While it's not going to win the division immediately winning those two games, it's going to put your team at a disadvantage to owning that tiebreaker if you don't end up with more wins at the end of the season, which is exactly what happened to the Buccaneers this season. They fell to us in Week 1 and spent the rest of the year chasing and hoping for us to slip up as their division championship hopes slowly deteriorated.

And possibly so, but once you detach Carmichael (and the playbook) from Payton, you also detach Payton's creativity from implementing new play calls and wrinkles. Carmichael can't show Payton anything new about Payton's playbook that he hasn't seen before. It's the same reason why Payton's former offensive assistants that have gone on to head coaching gigs haven't been able to best him, they're using a stripped down version of his playbook.

Furthermore about Carmichael and potential head coaching opportunities, I remember seeing it mentioned somewhere here about how when Payton was suspended in 2012 that Carmichael called the plays and our offense finished 2nd in yards and 3rd in scoring which is correct. However speaking about that 2012 season, something that always fails to be mentioned when Carmichael's name is being mentioned for head coaching vacancies is the fact that Carmichael wasn't even Payton's 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd choice at filling in as interim head coach when he was suspended. Think about that for a moment.

Payton's original plan was to turn the reins over to Parcells, who had been out of coaching for 5 years and was about to be eligible to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame on his 1st ballot. However taking the interim gig would result in resetting the 5-year clock before he'd be eligible again. Payton's 2nd choice was assistant HC/LB coach, Joe Vitt, who also had his own 6-game suspension to serve so someone else was needed to be in charge until late-October. Payton's 3rd choice was OL coach, Aaron Kromer, who would pilot the team for the first 6 games until Vitt returned.

Now it could be argued that Carmichael was only in our organization for 6 years at that point, however he'd had been in the NFL in some fashion or another for 12 seasons since 2000 so it's not like he wasn't qualified or didn't have any skins on the wall. Definitely makes you wonder...

On 1/7/2021 at 9:23 PM, chris2010 said:

Not that this means much but spoke with someone today who had heard that Fontenot has not been all that impressive in interviews. TIFWIW just passing along what I heard. 

Interesting, but that's alright, we'll keep him in-house and keep crushing free agency. :)

On 1/7/2021 at 9:57 PM, falconsd56 said:

Funny but he is not the architect of it.

He is a parcells disciple.

He put his spin on it but it actually is not to far off from what we have run the last 2 years at its core.

People here get wayyyyyyy too caught up in words like system and scheme.

He is indeed a Parcells disciple, however if Parcells was the architect of the system Payton has been running the last 14 years, we wouldn't have blown out Parcells 42-17 in 2006. Parcells' system essentially disregards the usage of fullbacks, which Payton heavily employs and resulted in Mike Karney scoring 3 TD's against the Cowboys defense in the aforementioned game because Payton knew Parcells wouldn't bother having a defender account for Karney.

Payton and Parcells' systems do share some similarities and concepts but make no mistake, Payton is a savant.

Edited by Iron Saint