Why did our defense stink so bad in 2020?

51 minutes ago, GATXBOI said:

Yes or switch to a 3-4 we already have plenty of pieces.

Front 3

Davidson Grady Bailey if brought back 

LB core 

Fowler Debo Foye Walker (Neal) olb only reason to resign

Secondary 

Terrell draft cb#2 draft fs Hawkins as SS

this brings me back when mike smith wanted to be a 3-4 but it never worked ahh the good days

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Free safety, #2 corner, and DE in my opinion. I feel like, scheme-wise, I saw big improvements but the execution from the 3 positions I named weren’t where it needs to be.

Boy those Joe Whitt Jr. hype folks went real silent this year. Before the start of the season you'd have thought he was the second coming of Christ around here. 

Exactly!  What talent? Who are the good pass rushers on the team? The best pass rusher was the MLB. EVERY defensive lineman combined only generated 18 sacks....and players that accounted for 8 of

29 minutes ago, Romfal said:

we're about 4-5 players away unfortunately. both starting DE's, both starting Safeties, 2nd Corner are not on the roster IMO.

i see why people dont want to draft a QB because they believe thats a waste of a pick that could eliminate one of the players that we need to fix on the defense. But then I understand why people want to get our QB of the future so then we dont have to focus on it later and then fix our defense after round 1 or 2 and next year. I get both sides and Im not complaining about either side, we shouldnt be at each other throats because each side wants what they want we should just see what we do and believe it will get done with this new staff.

1 hour ago, 408Falcon said:

Boy those Joe Whitt Jr. hype folks went real silent this year. Before the start of the season you'd have thought he was the second coming of Christ around here. 

The secondary outside of rico played decent after quinn left. If grady jarret is your best and only pass rush you wont get much.

2 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I'm kind of glad Tom Brady brought us back down to earth. We need a solid defensive draft and off-season

I get you, but I'm sure as f--- not glad he did.  I want to at least say we beat that m-f'r  ONE TIME in my rapidly evaporating life.  

1 hour ago, kenn.junior said:

i see why people dont want to draft a QB because they believe thats a waste of a pick that could eliminate one of the players that we need to fix on the defense. But then I understand why people want to get our QB of the future so then we dont have to focus on it later and then fix our defense after round 1 or 2 and next year. I get both sides and Im not complaining about either side, we shouldnt be at each other throats because each side wants what they want we should just see what we do and believe it will get done with this new staff.

to add to this I do see the QB options available for the future in this draft. I unfortunately don't really see all the pieces on defense that would make us relevant. 

I think we had some really nice fellas hanging out in the deep and every QB we faced realized all you need to beat us is lob the ball over the linebackers and there's 3-4 open guys 100% of the time.  Not sure if it takes time for Whitt to learn our secondary / pass defense or if he's just got the guys that were given to him.  He did pretty well at Cleveland.  I think Morris was cool with letting it slide for a while and hopefully Joe Whitt can ask for some guys to step up.  And if they don't step up you bench them.  My thinking is you give a player a chance and expect that nobody is perfect but you try to get better every game.  If you're squad is 30th in anything you're not really planning to go to the playoffs.  

9 minutes ago, GATXBOI said:

Why wouldn't it work every player in our front seven has 3-4 experience

i think its cuz they were never fully committed and keep switching to 3-4 and 4-3 it was weird plus we didnt have the LBers to run they all were horrible in coverage 

23 minutes ago, kenn.junior said:

i think its cuz they were never fully committed and keep switching to 3-4 and 4-3 it was weird plus we didnt have the LBers to run they all were horrible in coverage 

But these lbs aren't horrible in zone and all have thrived in a 3-4 the only odd ball may be foye but I think he can play inside with Debo put Walker and Fowler on the outside but if we cut Fowler then go get Parsons.

Marlon and Bailey can play ends 

Grady play Nose Tackle and please don't say he can't play Nose. He is highly capable.

IMO it is mostly coaching that is to blame. For three years in a row it took the defense half a season (or more) to start looking competitive. Looking unprepared, and unable to grasp what worked well at the end of previous season tells me that this team needs better coaching and quality control. The defense can't get turnovers, and is way to easy to convert 3rd and long situations on. Also, there are too many holes on the defense at edge and corner. There are playmakers, but we could use a few more.

We can start by fixing the back end.. we got AJ, Oliver.. wish we can have Surtain in the draft... bring Keke back... draft a FS or get one in FA.

Our LB core is solid...

on the DL we have just 5 players.. Jarett, Fowler, Mariner, Davison and Comisky.. 

So yes we lack talent.. but we can turn around this in 2 drafts... 

Also a running game will help wonders ... but this draft should be to fix the back end... and next year the DL...

10 hours ago, Summerhill said:
  1. Coaching: They got killed in the Quinn games. Falcons finished the season allowing an average of 398 yards per game. In the 5 Quinn games, they allowed 470 yards per game. I don't feel like adding up the numbers Morris/Ulbrich had, but it would have been a good bit less than 398 and pretty middle of the pack so they probably had the unit playing to what their capabilities were. 
  2. Talent: Everyone knows what the limitations were there. 

Just did the numbers for Quinn and for the rest of the 11 games in total ypg to see the difference. 

For Quinn we allowed 446 YPG over 5 games  

For Morris it was  376 YPG over 11 games

Both of those numbers would have been good for 

Quinn #32 dead last by 20+ YPG

Morris would have finished  22nd in YPG   Also not very great but better than Quinn by a long shot.

As for PPG  they finished

Quinn  was 32.3 PPG  good for #31 in the league   can't believe someone was worse XD

Morris was 23 PPG good for  13th  and that is a huge improvement no doubt. 

I'll even go as far to say outside of that last game of the year against the Bucs where i don't think we were really caring anymore much.   We were #5 in PPG at 20.9 on defense over the other 10 games and thats amazing and an awesome turn around by our defense.  

7 hours ago, Vandy said:

It really wasn’t near as bad as you (apparently) think it was. 

Offense was the much bigger disappointment.

Our offense was more disappointing because we have the personnel to be better there, but our defense is really bad. Don't let the Vikes and Raiders imploding fool you. We still got demolished through the air.

9 hours ago, GATXBOI said:

But these lbs aren't horrible in zone and all have thrived in a 3-4 the only odd ball may be foye but I think he can play inside with Debo put Walker and Fowler on the outside but if we cut Fowler then go get Parsons.

Marlon and Bailey can play ends 

Grady play Nose Tackle and please don't say he can't play Nose. He is highly capable.

yea this defense is way better suited to run it then back then 

1 hour ago, Realsurfin said:

If the talent was there we would have been 8-8... 9-7.  Even 7-9.

4-12 that took amazing talent....NOT!

Every single player in the NFL has talent. Not just any talent either. Supreme talent!! Otherwise, they wouldn’t be able to wear the uniform and play on Sunday. 
I’m just getting started. LETS FIGHT!!!!

f683a701a345feabf0fe1ad6493b0231_w200.gi

Edited by ADAMSVILLE GYM
FIGHT ME!!!!!
5 hours ago, Lornoth said:

Our offense was more disappointing because we have the personnel to be better there, but our defense is really bad. Don't let the Vikes and Raiders imploding fool you. We still got demolished through the air.

That’s true, but it’s also true that the rules have made it so the league as a whole is bad defensively through the air. 

We actually ended year 14th overall in defensive DVOA.

9 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

To sum it up, poor defensive chemistry, planning,  coaching, player assessment, poor drafting, unable to generate consistent pressure, unable to lock down the secondary, injuries, scheme, and a cultural history of poor defensive play that is endemic and engrained in the very fabric of Falcon identity. 

science.gif