On 1/5/2021 at 6:54 AM, Herr Doktor said:

Great information.  I have absolutely no idea what I am looking at.  The basic football X's and O's I get.  This is next level.

Me either. I have a 7 day free trial so figured I would put it to use. Someone knows something about these numbers lol

On 1/5/2021 at 7:03 AM, Kaptain Krazy said:

Interesting data - contradicts the TATF consensus that a trash Defense is what's dragging down the team.

In both total and weighted DVOA, the Falcons' D performed better than the O. 

And that's with the horrible 0-5 start. If Raheem had been HC all year, there's a chance the Falcons finish in the top 10 for defensive DVOA.

Interesting data - contradicts the TATF consensus that a trash Defense is what's dragging down the team.

6 minutes ago, Mr.11 said:

And that's with the horrible 0-5 start. If Raheem had been HC all year, there's a chance the Falcons finish in the top 10 for defensive DVOA.

Interesting

It’s both.

But after DQ was fired and Dirk kept, the defense improved drastically and the offense kept sputtering.

DVOA confirms the eye test of what a no run game and a bipolar pass game look like.

Consider:

Of Ryan’s 26 TD passes this year, 22 of them came in just 8(!!) games.

In the other 8 games, just 4(!!) ...

Fix the reason for a bipolar offense like the defense got: a coaching change

If any paid attention, the offense has underperformed for 2 straight years.

13 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

It’s both.

But after DQ was fired and Dirk kept, the defense improved drastically and the offense kept sputtering.

DVOA confirms the eye test of what a no run game and a bipolar pass game look like.

Consider:

Exactly what most around these parts having been screaming about.  The raw numbers don't lie.  And you know the Falcons brass has these numbers spit out EVERY Monday morning.

No clue what the numbers mean. All I know is the offense and defense both sucked this year.

Bad coaching on both sides of the ball all year. Overall the team didn't improve much if any at all under Morris. Definitely not enough to justify keeping him as a head coach. He cost the team the Lions game and the team still blew early leads.

A new identity is needed and that means cleaning the whole house. I like Julio, Ryan, and Grady but I'm to the point I can accept them staying or going. At this point whatever a new regime (hopefully) rolls with I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it's the right call. 

2 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Wow we finished with the hardest schedule? Or am I reading that wrong. 

Hardest Schedule and lost 8 of the 12 games by 1 score. 

This team is infuriating. 

Cursed.  For as dysfunctional as we are, to be that close is crazy.  It re realistically boils down to preparation, coaching and culture.  As busted as we think our players are, they are that close.  Insanity.

DVOA is a really good way of measuring offensive and defensive performance, takes a lot into consideration and paints a better picture than just yards or points.  First time in Ryan’s career the defense finished better than the offense.  More scary is that Dirk has had a bottom 20 rush offense for a decade minus one year, so ready for him to not be in ATL anymore.

Just shows you how awful Koetter truly is.  SF finished above us with their entire offense on IR

1 hour ago, Ergo Proxy said:

It’s both.

Consider:

I would say the offense has underperformed for 3.5 of the last 4 years

In 2016 we scored over 30 points 14 times.  In 4 seasons since we have done so just 18 times

I don't know how anyone can defend Koetter after seeing this. Compare the talent on our offense to the teams around us and there is no comparison. With the talent we have, we should be top 10 at a minimum. This will go down as one of the worst decisions the Falcons have ever made. We wasted two prime years of Julio and Matt.

On 1/5/2021 at 6:54 AM, Herr Doktor said:

Great information.  I have absolutely no idea what I am looking at.  The basic football X's and O's I get.  This is next level.

Analytics like PFF are based on efficiency mostly. Just keep that in mind. It basically says DK sucks and Raheem did a great job once he took over and DQ was putrid.

And that's with a very horrible start to the season. Yet they eclipsed power over paid and over resourced offense by the end of it. Dirk needs to go!

3 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I would say the offense has underperformed for 3.5 of the last 4 years

In 2016 we scored over 30 points 14 times.  In 4 seasons since we have done so just 18 times

2016 was a historic year. That isn’t a standard but overachieving.

2018 at least had a pass game. It isnt likely that offense gets a better run game with Teco being the feature back plus OL injuries. 

19 & 20 are clear under-performances; similar to 2017 Sark year 1.

But in almost every instance where we had a 4th quarter lead our defense gave up the go ahead TD which is unacceptable.  Also DVOAs are great but PPG allowed and PPG scored will always be the number one metric in rating offense and defense.  I dont care what else you are doing if you give up TDs it doesn't matter.

Edited by #84
8 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

2016 was a historic year. That isn’t a standard but overachieving.

2018 at least had a pass game. It isnt likely that offense gets a better run game with Teco being the feature back plus OL injuries. 

19 & 20 are clear under-performances; similar to 2017 Sark year 1.

Even in 2017 we had a top 15 rushing attack averaging over 110+ yards/game. Koetter couldn't even get that.

15 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Exactly! And, that’s without Takk or Fowler barely making an impact...add pass rushers and improve the secondary 

Seriously Ergo, I think Raheem did a borderline excellent job as head coach and getting the defense to outperform it's talent level by a very significant margin. 

Thats the main quality I look for in my coaches. Do they have the ability to not only maximize player's talent but also help them believe in themselves to overachieve, especially when they are working with a dearth of talent.

I think the Raheem and Jeff combination have proven they have these traits coupled with Raheem having previous head coaching experience to have learned from.  I can only imagine what the defense would look like if they actually had decent level of talent. 

I wouldn't mind Raheem staying. I will even go as far as endorsing him to stay IF he could bring McDaniels back to Atlanta. The only thing we would have to rebuild is the defense. Period!

Offense is already more loaded now than it was when Shanahan was here.