To All the QB at 4 naysayers, whats the plan if we suck again in 2021?

3 hours ago, joeyg2033 said:

Most of the people in here who worship at the altar of Ryan aren't bright enough to even project past two years when his contract expires. All they care about is rolling out #2 every Sunday until he dies. Lawrence? Forget it. Fields? Forget it. Wilson? Forget it. Who needs them when we already have our Hall of Fame qb?  If you in any way insinuate, suggest or even worse, propose that we turn the page and draft Ryan's successor... you will be savaged in here. That's why I keep coming back. 

Brother I am with on that but ****, I am here for it😂🤣😅

What I don't understand is, how people don't see that regardless of whether or not they like the idea of the Falcons ever having another QB not named Matt Ryan, that time doesn't stop for any man. MR2 is 36 years old, clearly not the player he once was, and whether you like it or not, he can't play forever. He's simply at that age where you gotta start thinking about life after he's gone. So wth is the problem here?

In this draft, you have a golden opportunity to get your franchise QB of the future, but the cool thing is there's no pressure to play him immediately because your former franchise QB is still on the roster, albeit on the decline and possibly on the way out.

By season 2, if MR2 feels he can still contribute and win in the league, since he's still under contract, let him compete for the spot. If MR2's the better man, then so be it, or better yet trade him and get something out of the deal. By season 3, if he's still here, doesn't matter now, MR2's almost 40 years old and his contract is up. He's not TB12, time to move on. Bottom line, the Falcons shouldn't squander this pick.

3 minutes ago, Frank_The_Tank said:

What I don't understand is, how people don't see that regardless of whether or not they like the idea of the Falcons ever having another QB not named Matt Ryan, that time doesn't stop for any man. MR2 is 36 years old, clearly not the player he once was, and whether you like it or not, he can't play forever. He's simply at that age where you gotta start thinking about life after he's gone. So wth is the problem here?

In this draft, you have a golden opportunity to get your franchise QB of the future, but the cool thing is there's no pressure to play him immediately because your former franchise QB is still on the roster, albeit on the decline and possibly on the way out.

By season 2, if MR2 feels he can still contribute and win in the league, since he's still under contract, let him compete for the spot. If MR2's the better man, then so be it, or better yet trade him and get something out of the deal. By season 3, if he's still here, doesn't matter now, MR2's almost 40 years old and his contract is up. He's not TB12, time to move on. Bottom line, the Falcons shouldn't squander this pick.

Agreed. The #4 pick isn't going to be the difference of us being a playoff team or not. There is no Nick Bosa or Chase Young in this draft. 

Being in position to draft a franchise QB is rarely available. When your QB is 36 and you have that chance you HAVE to jump on it imo. 

This team should not be in this position and imo with adequate coaching will not be drafting this high for a while.

If we can land that franchise QB our window to win a superbowl opens from 3-4 years to 15+ years. 

9 hours ago, Romfal said:

yeah looking on the bright side with shiny new toys in the FO is nice and all but we just went 4-12 after two .500(ish) seasons, Matt Ryan usually plays 9-7 ball or worse after a OC change and lets be real here this defense isn't getting fixed in 1 offseason if we hired Bill Belichick and we have no cap room for major signings, so tell me, if we go between 4-12 and 8-8 next year(which we did btw with the great Shanahan), and miss the playoffs again, what is the plan going in to 2022?

1st big issue, next years QB class is projected to be mediocre at best and if there is a good one that comes out of nowhere he will go 1st overall and not fall to us at 10-14 where we usually pick. which leaves us with a 37yo QB whos 4 years removed from a playoff game and no plan again behind him(don't give me the 3rd round or later project QB BS, chances of hitting one of those is 1 in 10 at best).

2nd our biggest need is DE and Safety, there is no Chase Young or Nick Bosa in this class, there is no Jamal Adams and even if there was I sure as **** wouldn't take him at 4, and even if there was a blue chip defender to take besides maybe Parsons I would bet anybody a rookie 1st rounder would not have a probowl level impact year one as they usually need a season to adjust anyway.

Which leads me to the final conclusion of this post. Matt Ryan will win about as many games with a Rookie OT or a Rookie DE or a Rookie whatever you want in the 1st as he would win with a future franchise QB learning behind him because the impact a rookie can make based on our positions of need is only so much that it will rarely be a difference in the 2021 W/L column. But which scenario puts up on the path to succeed the most 2-3-4 years from now? Take QB at 4.

After trying to patch up this team to compete the past 4 years and falling short it is understandable why some may want to start the rebuilding process with a young QB.  The reality is that this team isn't a 10 win team.  Every year Matt has been here outside of his rookie year I have believed we are 10 win or better team.  The reality is that we are probably not as bad as 4-12 but we are likely a .500 team if not for some coaching blunders.  We desperately need to get back to basics with this team and try to salvage the twilight of Ryan's career.  History has shown that he is markedly better with a running game and I think a good draft and offseason along with some prudent coaching moves can get us back to the type of ground game with which Matt thrives.  I agree that we likely can't fix our biggest holes on defense but we can get back to the postseason with competent coaching that uses the rushing attack to support Ryan and our defense. 

Depending on how the combine shakes out and what the Dolphins do it is very possible that even at #4 we would be taking the 4th QB in this draft.   

4 hours ago, thanat0s said:

Then you look at the direction you want to go after that. If we are awful again, then we still have a top five pick in 22, presumably somebody else’s top pick or picks from a trade down this year, and we have a much better financial situation to begin a rebuild.

We would be able to trade Matt (and Julio, assuming he isn’t traded in the next few months), and we’d have another high pick or picks. 

These guys are extremely good at what they do. We owe it to the team, the fans, and our own peace of mind to try to fix our defense next year and see if we have one run left in us before blowing it up.

To coin your what if, what if the new coach fixes our defense and puts us back in an offensive scheme that turns those 7 losses by one score into wins? All the while owning some poor sap’s first and likely second round picks in 22?

Sounds a lot better than taking somebody who will contribute nothing to the team at least a year, maybe more. Maybe never. 

Noh. The answer simple. GET THE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE IN THIS DRAFT AT YOUR SLOT. Hello Zach Wilson.

We gotta stop this madness. Even if we all feel we're a better team than 4-12, how much better are we talking? Bottom line, we're not one to two pieces away from being in the playoffs, we're a DL, DE, CB, 2 Safeties, LG, RB and millions of dollars over the salary cap away.

We gotta stop telling ourselves we can put together a roster for one last run for Ryan. That's what got us in the boat we're in today. This is madness. Ryan is a fine, above avg football player, but not exceptional. And when you have a roster with as many holes as this one, you need someone who's exceptional at the top. And imo, he's not.

19 hours ago, Frank_The_Tank said:

Brother, everyone understands.  It's just that not everyone agrees on the time frame.  That's all.  

We can all speculate what happens in the offseason and wish upon a star to say "See I was right, they X, Y or Z". Personally I think Ryan has a few good more years to go. I would love to see us have a running game for once. I would like to see less than 45 passes every game. 

It all just depends on who the HC is to where we go. I am far from a draft or personnel junkie so I will leave that to a bunch of people on here that like doing that but my uninformed opinion leans to DL and RB as highest priorities. 

4 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Yeah me either - you gotta get “your guy”.

To me, that’s either Lawrence or Fields and I don’t think Lawrence is in play.

If Jax doesn’t take Fields or is willing to trade the pick, that is direction I would head.  If they pass on him, I am trying to trade to #3 for Fields.  If he falls to #4 even better.

I am unconvinced about BYU QB Zach Wilson but will watch him closely.

I am curious to see your opinion on Wilson after you watch him.  He is a playmaker and his game tapes are just plain entertaining.  He reminds me of Steve Young.  His accuracy is amazing.  I like him more than Fields, who is also amazing.

3 hours ago, Frank_The_Tank said:

This isn't how the league works when it comes to top five draft pick QBs. You draft someone there at 4, you have to play him, because you have destroyed any chance you have at being a winning team in 21 anyway. 

Back to Romfal's original question.

If the new GM chooses to not pick a quarterback, then I would trade down only if I can get a 1st round pick the following year.  I want to have at least 2 first round picks the next year, in case I need ammunition to trade up to get my QB of the future.  At 4, getting a good compensation package, with a 1st next year, should be an easy sell.  

58 minutes ago, duckhoa said:

I am curious to see your opinion on Wilson after you watch him.  He is a playmaker and his game tapes are just plain entertaining.  He reminds me of Steve Young.  His accuracy is amazing.  I like him more than Fields, who is also amazing.

Yeah,  I am not ruling out Zach Wilson - tried to be careful to not say that.   I am open to the idea of Wilson - just more skeptical of him.   I have seen him play some - not whole games but highlights.

Here's my take on next year. No matter who the GM and Coach, no matter who we draft, we are only starting a process to get back to where we want.

So, we need to be thinking further ahead. If they think we can get a franchise changing QB at 4, gotta pull the trigger. 

The better teams are planning 2 or 3 years ahead maybe more. 

Schaub was a 3rd rounder who eventually became a probowl starting QB.  If you are picking so someone can hold a clipboard and learn, the league history has more successful 3rd round clipboard holders than first round.  

If you pick QB at 4, he MUST play by game 4. If you dont want the cap hit from Ryan, give him the clipboard. He sits for a season and becomes a dangerous option if your new coach wants to roll him out of the garage for a random play every now and again.  But if the rebuild is around the new QB, then make it around the new QB.

Imagine if when we drafted Ryan we kept Joey Harrington around and waited for Ryan to sit and learn.  We probably dont have half the QB Ryan is now.  Players play.  No way the fanbase stands for that --- even with a new coach and GM.

2 hours ago, Falconcheff said:

Gardner

Minshew

for a fifth round pick

NFL starting qb experience...23 games, 240 YPG; 62.6% completion rate; 37 TD'S, 11 INTs

2 years left on rookie deal

And one **** of a mustache.

17 hours ago, Romfal said:

so if you can't trade down who do you take at 4 on defense? Parsons? we already have Deion and Foye there, do you feel comfortable with a project DE over a franchize QB?

Seems like people on here have forgotten or just don’t realize Foye is a FA next year. The idea of potentially having the best LB corps in the NFL is intriguing in itself if you add Parsons.