To All the QB at 4 naysayers, whats the plan if we suck again in 2021?

yeah looking on the bright side with shiny new toys in the FO is nice and all but we just went 4-12 after two .500(ish) seasons, Matt Ryan usually plays 9-7 ball or worse after a OC change and lets be real here this defense isn't getting fixed in 1 offseason if we hired Bill Belichick and we have no cap room for major signings, so tell me, if we go between 4-12 and 8-8 next year(which we did btw with the great Shanahan), and miss the playoffs again, what is the plan going in to 2022?

1st big issue, next years QB class is projected to be mediocre at best and if there is a good one that comes out of nowhere he will go 1st overall and not fall to us at 10-14 where we usually pick. which leaves us with a 37yo QB whos 4 years removed from a playoff game and no plan again behind him(don't give me the 3rd round or later project QB BS, chances of hitting one of those is 1 in 10 at best).

2nd our biggest need is DE and Safety, there is no Chase Young or Nick Bosa in this class, there is no Jamal Adams and even if there was I sure as **** wouldn't take him at 4, and even if there was a blue chip defender to take besides maybe Parsons I would bet anybody a rookie 1st rounder would not have a probowl level impact year one as they usually need a season to adjust anyway.

Which leads me to the final conclusion of this post. Matt Ryan will win about as many games with a Rookie OT or a Rookie DE or a Rookie whatever you want in the 1st as he would win with a future franchise QB learning behind him because the impact a rookie can make based on our positions of need is only so much that it will rarely be a difference in the 2021 W/L column. But which scenario puts up on the path to succeed the most 2-3-4 years from now? Take QB at 4.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

yeah looking on the bright side with shiny new toys in the FO is nice and all but we just went 4-12 after two .500(ish) seasons, Matt Ryan usually plays 9-7 ball or worse after a OC change and lets be

Actually that isn’t true. You can speak of wanting to draft a new QB and you won’t be savaged for that. You get savaged for saying things like “worship at the alter” or this one below... Callin

This team needs to prioritize the things that will address the current suckiness.  I've watched a lot of film on this team this season. That said, I'm no coach or technical analyst. I watch for D

I'm a "don't really care what we do as long as it's not typical Falcon stupidity". For me, taking a contributor or contributors is important.  Our drafts have been spotty and we tend to not see many starters from the last decade or so's drafts.  

I'd rather trade down, this is the year to do it.  Taking a QB is also viable.  Perhaps I am not impassioned enough about this as I won't stand on a desk and scream that we have to do anything in particular in the draft.  I'd just like to see a solid draft, where we get starters and meaningful depth that can be made into starters.  

Then you look at the direction you want to go after that. If we are awful again, then we still have a top five pick in 22, presumably somebody else’s top pick or picks from a trade down this year, and we have a much better financial situation to begin a rebuild.

We would be able to trade Matt (and Julio, assuming he isn’t traded in the next few months), and we’d have another high pick or picks. 

These guys are extremely good at what they do. We owe it to the team, the fans, and our own peace of mind to try to fix our defense next year and see if we have one run left in us before blowing it up.

To coin your what if, what if the new coach fixes our defense and puts us back in an offensive scheme that turns those 7 losses by one score into wins? All the while owning some poor sap’s first and likely second round picks in 22?

Sounds a lot better than taking somebody who will contribute nothing to the team at least a year, maybe more. Maybe never. 

4 hours ago, Romfal said:

yeah looking on the bright side with shiny new toys in the FO is nice and all but we just went 4-12 after two .500(ish) seasons, Matt Ryan usually plays 9-7 ball or worse after a OC change and lets be real here this defense isn't getting fixed in 1 offseason if we hired Bill Belichick and we have no cap room for major signings, so tell me, if we go between 4-12 and 8-8 next year(which we did btw with the great Shanahan), and miss the playoffs again, what is the plan going in to 2022?

1st big issue, next years QB class is projected to be mediocre at best and if there is a good one that comes out of nowhere he will go 1st overall and not fall to us at 10-14 where we usually pick. which leaves us with a 37yo QB whos 4 years removed from a playoff game and no plan again behind him(don't give me the 3rd round or later project QB BS, chances of hitting one of those is 1 in 10 at best).

2nd our biggest need is DE and Safety, there is no Chase Young or Nick Bosa in this class, there is no Jamal Adams and even if there was I sure as **** wouldn't take him at 4, and even if there was a blue chip defender to take besides maybe Parsons I would bet anybody a rookie 1st rounder would not have a probowl level impact year one as they usually need a season to adjust anyway.

Which leads me to the final conclusion of this post. Matt Ryan will win about as many games with a Rookie OT or a Rookie DE or a Rookie whatever you want in the 1st as he would win with a future franchise QB learning behind him because the impact a rookie can make based on our positions of need is only so much that it will rarely be a difference in the 2021 W/L column. But which scenario puts up on the path to succeed the most 2-3-4 years from now? Take QB at 4.

Most of the people in here who worship at the altar of Ryan aren't bright enough to even project past two years when his contract expires. All they care about is rolling out #2 every Sunday until he dies. Lawrence? Forget it. Fields? Forget it. Wilson? Forget it. Who needs them when we already have our Hall of Fame qb?  If you in any way insinuate, suggest or even worse, propose that we turn the page and draft Ryan's successor... you will be savaged in here. That's why I keep coming back. 

This team needs to prioritize the things that will address the current suckiness. 

I've watched a lot of film on this team this season. That said, I'm no coach or technical analyst. I watch for DFS purposes, so I'm looking more at route trees, trench battles, and DBs who tend to get lost in space more than any technical x's and o's. What I see is a team that is best working off of play action, but that often finds itself with no threat of play action at key moments in the ball game. They are either down multiple scores, or are trying to protect leads. In the first situation you have to pass to keep up. In the second situation, all opponents key run. Seven or eight one score losses highlight the fact that the Falcons simply can not run the ball when the run is called for. To me, missed blocking assignments (not getting whipped, simply letting people go) and RBs that can't win at the point of attack are the biggest factors in that. Not QB play. Not play calling. 

If I were the Falcons I would:

1) Address the edge rush situation (protecting leads and suppressing shoot outs).

2) Improve the RB position. (threaten opponents in the running game)

3) Improve OL coordination in the run game (OL coach or running game coordinator or OC)

4) If all of the above are covered, draft or acquire the next franchise QB.

I will not argue about order, I'm fine doing the four things above in any order. However, I'm firm on the priority as listed. Drafting a new QB and plugging him into what we have going on here fixes nothing. I'm a fan of taking the GB approach and drafting the next franchise QB before the current guy is "done." However, I think it would be a mistake not to prioritize the edge and RB over finding the next guy. The current guy isn't in the grave yet. We have a year or three if needed. 

22 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

Then you look at the direction you want to go after that. If we are awful again, then we still have a top five pick in 22, presumably somebody else’s top pick or picks from a trade down this year, and we have a much better financial situation to begin a rebuild.

We would be able to trade Matt (and Julio, assuming he isn’t traded in the next few months), and we’d have another high pick or picks. 

These guys are extremely good at what they do. We owe it to the team, the fans, and our own peace of mind to try to fix our defense next year and see if we have one run left in us before blowing it up.

To coin your what if, what if the new coach fixes our defense and puts us back in an offensive scheme that turns those 7 losses by one score into wins? All the while owning some poor sap’s first and likely second round picks in 22?

Sounds a lot better than taking somebody who will contribute nothing to the team at least a year, maybe more. Maybe never. 

Sage, and wise.  

1 minute ago, falcndave said:

This team needs to prioritize the things that will address the current suckiness. 

I've watched a lot of film on this team this season. That said, I'm no coach or technical analyst. I watch for DFS purposes, so I'm looking more at route trees, trench battles, and DBs who tend to get lost is space more than any technical x's and o's. What I see is a team that is best working of play action, but that often finds itself with no threat of play action at key moments in the ball game. They are either down multiple scores, are trying to protect leads. In the first situation you have to pass to keep up. In the second situation, all opponents key run. Seven or eight one score losses highlight the fact that the Falcons simply can not run the ball when the run is called for. To me, missed blocking assignments (not getting whipped, simply letting people go) and RBs that can't win at the point of attack are the biggest factors in that. Not QB play. Not play calling. 

1) Address the edge rush situation (protecting leads and suppressing shoot outs).

3) Improve OL coordination in the run game (OL coach or running game coordinator or OC)

I will not argue about order, I'm fine doing the four things above in any order. However, I'm firm on the priority as listed. Drafting a new QB and plugging him into what we have going on here fixes nothing. I'm a fan of taking the GB approach and drafting the next franchise QB before the current guy is "done." However, I think it would be a mistake not to prioritize the edge and RB over finding the next guy. The current guy isn't in the grave yet. We have a year or three if needed. 

Draft for defense... Like Jerry? Beasley? Takk? How about that for wasted capital? 

I'm not looking for "immediate" cures. I'm looking for long term cures. Drafting a future franchise qb is paramount to the success of this franchise moving forward. And whoever doesn't see that is dumber than I thought they were. 

5 minutes ago, falcndave said:

I've watched a lot of film on this team this season. That said, I'm no coach or technical analyst. I watch for DFS purposes, so I'm looking more at route trees, trench battles, and DBs who tend to get lost is space more than any technical x's and o's. What I see is a team that is best working of play action, but that often finds itself with no threat of play action at key moments in the ball game. They are either down multiple scores, are trying to protect leads. In the first situation you have to pass to keep up. In the second situation, all opponents key run. Seven or eight one score losses highlight the fact that the Falcons simply can not run the ball when the run is called for. To me, missed blocking assignments (not getting whipped, simply letting people go) and RBs that can't win at the point of attack are the biggest factors in that. Not QB play. Not play calling. 

Look at you, all analytic and ****!  I absolutely agree with you.  A well thought out and cogent answer.

3 minutes ago, joeyg2033 said:

Draft for defense... Like Jerry? Beasley? Takk? How about that for wasted capital? 

I'm not looking for "immediate" cures. I'm looking for long term cures. Drafting a future franchise qb is paramount to the success of this franchise moving forward. And whoever doesn't see that is dumber than I thought they were. 

I'm dumb and your smart. Understood.

If Fields or Wilson is there at 4 we should take a QB. The reason I said if is because I read Miami may have buyers remorse with Tua ( I don’t believe it)but it’s happened before. 

Miami should take Sewell to help Tua and we should start a new chapter with one of these young guns and I’m the biggest Ryan supporter. How we deal with the cap hit that’s tough but it’s still the right move for this franchise. 

18 minutes ago, joeyg2033 said:

Most of the people in here who worship at the altar of Ryan aren't bright enough to even project past two years when his contract expires. All they care about is rolling out #2 every Sunday until he dies. Lawrence? Forget it. Fields? Forget it. Wilson? Forget it. Who needs them when we already have our Hall of Fame qb?  If you in any way insinuate, suggest or even worse, propose that we turn the page and draft Ryan's successor... you will be savaged in here. That's why I keep coming back. 

LOL... you sound salty...

8 minutes ago, TheHeartless said:

That 2022 QB class is looking abysmal wouldn't want the team having to take a QB from that class unless it was Howell

Keep an eye on the guy up the road in Athens. He looked the part of the nations top QB in his limited time at the end of the year. Another offseason of training and space between him and the knee injury, and that could be the top guy in the 22 draft. 

19 minutes ago, falcndave said:

I've watched a lot of film on this team this season. That said, I'm no coach or technical analyst. I watch for DFS purposes, so I'm looking more at route trees, trench battles, and DBs who tend to get lost is space more than any technical x's and o's. What I see is a team that is best working of play action, but that often finds itself with no threat of play action at key moments in the ball game. They are either down multiple scores, or are trying to protect leads. In the first situation you have to pass to keep up. In the second situation, all opponents key run. Seven or eight one score losses highlight the fact that the Falcons simply can not run the ball when the run is called for. To me, missed blocking assignments (not getting whipped, simply letting people go) and RBs that can't win at the point of attack are the biggest factors in that. Not QB play. Not play calling. 

This here is probably the most honest analysis I've read on the board....  

We have zero pass rush.  Brady had all day in both games

Our run game is weak

Our line has been trash for several years now

Matt Ryan, when given more than 1.5 seconds, is still a great QB

I agree with everyone that was posted here..

And there's no need to insult Ryan or other posters on this board.. well done

5 hours ago, Romfal said:

Please get this reality and logic off this board - we will not tolerate it here!

24 minutes ago, joeyg2033 said:

You're going to be pretty irritated when you see #2 trot out there next year, huh?

Tell me... Where did Ryan hurt you?

show-me-on-1f899f4762.jpg

1 minute ago, Gee-Q said:

This here is probably the most honest analysis I've read on the board....  

We have zero pass rush.  Brady had all day in both games

Our run game is weak

Our line has been trash for several years now

Matt Ryan, when given more than 1.5 seconds, is still a great QB

I agree with everyone that was posted here..

And there's no need to insult Ryan or other posters on this board.. well done

Thanks!  For the record, I wasn't insulted. I'm sure I've pulled his strings a time or two. I responded just to make it more obvious he didn't read past the first line of my response. I actually agreed with him on his main point had he read to the bottom. You draft a QB before you need a QB...or else. 

8 minutes ago, Xfactor said:

If Fields or Wilson is there at 4 we should take a QB. The reason I said if is because I read Miami may have buyers remorse with Tua ( I don’t believe it)but it’s happened before. 

Miami should take Sewell to help Tua and we should start a new chapter with one of these young guns and I’m the biggest Ryan supporter. How we deal with the cap hit that’s tough but it’s still the right move for this franchise. 

See, I don't have as big a problem if the new regime comes in and says we are rebuilding day one. That means we'll be trading Matt and Julio immediately and wiping the slate clean. At least I know the direction the team is going. Likely a couple more years at least of losing football, developing a new QB and lots of young, inexperienced defensive players. 

What I do have a problem with is, our wasting a pick on a guy who may not see the field for two years while we toy around 2000s Hawks style, not being bad enough to rebuild and not good enough to contend. 

So, to get to the heart of it, everybody needs to pick a lane and commit to it. If you want a QB, then it all has to be burned down day one. That way you maximize the trade value of Matt and Julio, who will be first out the door. You get picks in return to help the rebuild, and you condense your cap nightmare into one season. 

If people aren't willing to do that, then they'll never convince most fans, or the players on the team, that taking a QB with that pick is the right move. 

1 minute ago, thanat0s said:

See, I don't have as big a problem if the new regime comes in and says we are rebuilding day one. That means we'll be trading Matt and Julio immediately and wiping the slate clean. At least I know the direction the team is going. Likely a couple more years at least of losing football, developing a new QB and lots of young, inexperienced defensive players. 

What I do have a problem with is, our wasting a pick on a guy who may not see the field for two years while we toy around 2000s Hawks style, not being bad enough to rebuild and not good enough to contend. 

So, to get to the heart of it, everybody needs to pick a lane and commit to it. If you want a QB, then it all has to be burned down day one. That way you maximize the trade value of Matt and Julio, who will be first out the door. You get picks in return to help the rebuild, and you condense your cap nightmare into one season. 

If people aren't willing to do that, then they'll never convince most fans, or the players on the team, that taking a QB with that pick is the right move. 

This is also my thoughts.  You also maximize that rookie contract.  

36 minutes ago, joeyg2033 said:

Actually that isn’t true. You can speak of wanting to draft a new QB and you won’t be savaged for that. You get savaged for saying things like “worship at the alter” or this one below...

30 minutes ago, joeyg2033 said:

Calling people “dumb” because they want to keep Ryan at QB is why you’ll get savaged. Just saying...

5 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

This is also my thoughts.  You also maximize that rookie contract.  

Yep, and we have to accept that, if we trade Matt pre-draft, we have to trade up in the draft to the 2nd spot with the Jets if we want to be sure to get 'our guy', whoever that is. Even if we rate Fields and Wilson basically equal, we have to trade with Miami at 3. because I can guarantee you if we ship Matt off, the Jets and Miami will be flooded with trade offers to jump ahead of us. 

Washington, Denver, Indy, Carolina, New England all come to mind. That's a lot of QB desperate teams just off the top of my head.