Isn’t it bizarre we’re interviewing HC before having a GM?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I understand there are lots of vacancies for HC positions right now so we don’t have time to delay. However, we keep hearing Blank and McKay say the “GM will have full control and can use us as needed

Good to know we’re doing the same thing as the Jets, Jags, Texans, Lions, etc. That actually explains quite a bit. 

on the seattle seahawks: "In January 2010, the Seahawks announced the hiring of Pete Carroll as head coach, and the Seahawks then hired Schneider one week later. Schneider works in collaboration

5 hours ago, NaGaBoy said:

Remember when Blank said we have to get explosive.  That thinking led to hiring Mr. Fast and Physical.  What did Blank say yesterday?  I want a GM and HC that will produce wins.  That is a substantial back step in level of detail.  And, it is the correct direction for Blank and McKay.

Good point. I really hope you're right. But someone said they were also talking about draft pick ideas the other day (don't remember the specifics).

Let's hope you're right, they've learned, and they hire someone smarter/better than themselves and turn things over to them.

3 hours ago, falcndave said:

It is more about opportunity than preference. I'm sure they would prefer to have a GM in place, but the opportunity to interview EB is now and other interested parties are doing so. If you pass on interviewing him during the bye week, it could be a month before you get another shot. If you want to get in on the first wave of EB interviews, it is literally now or never. 

Great point. Maybe I was too adamant.

It _might_ be a sign they're meddling and a good GM won't have enough control, but it might just be pragmatic given COVID and timing restrictions.

Plus, if there _is_ a head coach candidate strong enough (like Carroll was for Seattle), then it could make sense to hire them first.

Let's hope they're not meddling and they get some top notch talent in both roles.

17 hours ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

I mean a Bill Belichick/Mike Shananhan situation, where they're both head coach and GM.

Can’t argue with BB’s success but it’s rare that someone can successfully do both jobs. Dan Reeves tried for do it here but I believe it takes a skilled personnel guy to team with a coach so you have checks and balances. Reeves had this affinity for collecting tight ends and then there was his man crush on Tommy Maddox . He had no one to tell him no about certain decisions. 

Edited by Michael Scott

I love Arthur Blank and his passion for a winner. He is clearly the best owner we’ve had and this 20 year stretch is the best in Falcon history. However I just don’t think this organization will ever get it right. After 28-3 I have just lost hope. Arthur had nothing to do with that collapse. He oversaw the building of that team. It was there for the taking. Tevin Coleman’s TD reception in the third quarter was the pinnacle of this team’s historical success. I’m still a fan. I still watch them. I still hope for better things. But for my own health and mental state, I have zero expectations. If it happens it happens. I just have to trust Arthur can make the right hires but I cede control over that to smarter men than I. 

I guess it's a bit odd, but I don't think we have time to be dilly-dallying around if we want to get one of the better head coaching candidates to come here. 

Also, the way the hierarchy is set up, and everybody reports to McKay, he might as well just hire who he wants anyway.

18 hours ago, matty72780 said:

I understand there are lots of vacancies for HC positions right now so we don’t have time to delay. However, we keep hearing Blank and McKay say the “GM will have full control and can use us as needed”. Doesn’t the fact that Blank and McKay have interviewed multiple HC candidates and only a couple GM candidates completely contradict that? Wouldn’t it make more sense to be full steam ahead on a GM and then interview the Eric B and Arthur Smiths of the world? Some will say “we already have the GM picked”, don't kid yourself, that’s not true. It just seems counterintuitive and backwards what we’re doing (that is the Falcons way after all). 

Let’s say we hire a HC before the GM, as a GM candidate wouldn’t you feel like you’re going into a heavily micromanaged organization and don’t have the autonomy to make decisions because McKay and Blank ultimately have the final say? What high profile, elite, culture altering GM candidate would want to work under that umbrella of an organization? 

Sure we want to make sure we’re interviewing and vetting these coaches so we don’t “miss out” but this is all public info being published that we’re interviewing 3 coaches to every 1 GM candidate. I believe a smart and savvy GM sees the writing on the wall that there may be “too many cooks in the kitchen in the ATL”. These coaches aren’t going to accept a HC job before the playoffs start and/or are finished more than likely. Wouldn’t you focus on the GM and then get the HC candidates into Flowery Branch for their “final interview” (because they’ve probably already met with all other teams). 

There have been multiple reports that GM candidates are skeptical about the “true control” they’ll have in Atlanta and I believe the actions of Blank & McKay validate those rumblings to be true. 

I'm pretty sure most, if not all interviews were virtual and recorded. Many of the candidates are not available until after the playoffs and with the number of people they want to interview they had to get a head start. I'm sure they want to hire the GM ASAP and give him the recorded interviews to peruse if need be but most GM's have an idea coming in of who they want just as HC's have an idea of who they want on their coaching staff. 

Listening to what AB and McKay said during the press conference they had, they seem extremely vigilant about staying off the GM's turf. I can only go by what they said but at least they appear very cognizant of the issue of GM and HC autonomy.

Personally I like that Blank and McKay aren’t tying the GM to the HC and vice versa. I was never a fan of the buddy/buddy dynamic that TD had with his coaches. I always felt it made him blind to their faults and on the flip side I thought it made it difficult for Blank to determine where the trouble lied (I.e. is it a personnel issue versus a coaching issue)

I like the thought of it.. AB is a Smart man and I do believe he could pick out a great HC , maybe even better than a GM ,, He didn't get where he is by being Dumb ... Sometimes  the GMs over think it.. Get that guy who knows how to win,, and check out his philosophy .. I'd like KISS ,,, Keep It Simple Stupid... I'm telling you many OC shot themselves in the foot trying to be to cute with the plays.. I say NO to that thought.. It's all about High percentage plays.. Pick them out and then Wear them Out..  Back and forth , over and over... 

Yes.

But

The fact is the HC chooses the players and the gm gets them. 

Why wait around for a gm when he is going to get HC approval on players. 

You want to miss out on best HC candidates?

I agree though... Its funny but there will be 2nd interviews once GM is found. They are showing interest in candidates and getting the ball rolling. 

On 1/5/2021 at 12:54 PM, NaGaBoy said:

This is all too presumptuous for me.  Quinn and Dimitroff reported to McKay.  There was no ambiguity or confusion.  There was a question as to whether they actually partnered with one another or if they pulled in different directions.  We will never know.

Dan Quinn was the Head Coach.  He was responsible for player development, team strategies, game plans, and wins.  He was not very good at this.

Thomas Dimitroff was the General Manager.  He was responsible for the roster.  All things roster related.  He was good at skill positions and not very good with the grunt positions.

I would question how much effective collaboration existed between Dimitroff and Quinn.  I also questioned how much this happened between Dimotroff and Smith.  I guess this gets down to the fact that I do not trust Dimitroff.

McKay's role in this is to be the everyday guy who can deliver Blank's message.  That message in the past has been too detailed and too involved in team strategy.  The message has changed to a simple "get wins".  While Dimitroff and Quinn could defend their positions in the past by pointing to how they became more explosive, more fast and physical, it is difficult to hide behind anything when the message is "win".

McKay could have been an issue in the past as an influencer.  Now, the simple directive eliminates that.  If we get a GM and HC who will work together to make something of this talented team, good things will happen.  They will win or they will move on to another team. 

Well said and well written, but considerably less presumptuous than you think.  I'm years removed from any direct link to the Falcons organization, but I still occasionally hear from folks who remain, or did remain until recently.  I'll just say that 'team player' is a term I've never heard applied to TD by anyone willing to speak frankly.

On 1/5/2021 at 1:33 PM, opensource001 said:

Yep.  A clear chain of command is critical in organizations like this.  This isn't a start up company where everyone has to wear 5 hats to keep the ship afloat.

Ah,, AB has already tried it in the usual process.. It didn't work any of those times.. And AB didn't get where he is by being dumb.. So I think he has to decide He's going to have to get this done right this time.. And he's going to be on Top of all the decisions.  I believe it will work this time because of Him making more of the decisions ..... B)  I'm calling it now.. Great changes coming to this team.  He make take a little while.. But He don't need to get in a hurry.. He's on a mission to get this right this time..  

17 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

Ah,, AB has already tried it in the usual process.. It didn't work any of those times.. And AB didn't get where he is by being dumb.. So I think he has to decide He's going to have to get this done right this time.. And he's going to be on Top of all the decisions.  I believe it will work this time because of Him making more of the decisions ..... B)  I'm calling it now.. Great changes coming to this team.  He make take a little while.. But He don't need to get in a hurry.. He's on a mission to get this right this time..  

Hopefully you are right!  I especially hope so on the not being in a hurry part.