Isn’t it bizarre we’re interviewing HC before having a GM?

I was thinking about it, and I'd suggest this. Yes, the GM will make the ultimate call on our new coach, but having interviews recorded with the basic questions that I'm sure most every candidate is asked around the league, give him a head start on choosing. 

With so many openings around, including teams with 3 of the top four draft picks, somebody has to get ahead of this and put together some 'film' on the finalists. Then the new GM, who I expect to be named this week, will be able to choose his guy, likely by the end of next week. 

The offseason comes at you quick in the Thunderdome. 😄

My honest opinion is the HC is far more important than the GM.  Now maybe viewing this totally wrong but to me a GM is nothing but a glorified accountant.  A GM's main focus is to manage the money and make sure whatever deals or contracts make sense for the organization.  Now that's not say the GM doesn't have any influence on players but that's more of the HC than anything.  I think GM's don't do has much scouting as we think.  Teams have a scouting department for a reason.  Again not saying the GM doesn't do any scouting at all but if HC does or does not want a college player or FA than it doesn't matter want the GM wants ,IMO.  We need a HC that understands how to win and win consistently.  That's knows how get a big lead and hold on to it but also knows to win in a dog fight.  You can have the best GM in football but if the HC is trash then no matter how many great players that team acquires they'll still never be good.  Talent doesn't win you Super Bowls, it's just a small portion of it.  A great HC that knows how utilize talent and manage a team and game will have you in thick of the playoffs every year, which means you have a greater chance a winning a Super Bowl than not.  We need a HC who is great chess player and not checkers (figuratively speaking).  I think the GMs we've interviewed and will interview a good prospects and we should be fine with whomever gets hired for the GM job.  The HC position is going to require far more attention so that's why we're seeing more people getting interviewed for position than the GM position .  We've missed on HCs a lot so hopefully this time the FO will get it right.  

11 hours ago, matty72780 said:

Let’s say we hire a HC before the GM, as a GM candidate wouldn’t you feel like you’re going into a heavily micromanaged organization and don’t have the autonomy to make decisions because McKay and Blank ultimately have the final say? What high profile, elite, culture altering GM candidate would want to work under that umbrella of an organization? 

Nailed it. This is not how you attract the strongest gm candidate. This is how you get a B or C player.

1 minute ago, DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins said:

Also, if that’s the case, we’re screwed.

That may not be true.  When I was a young man, I worked with other young men who sometimes made decisions that were so bad they were bewildering.  Some of those guys matured into valuable professionals.  I learned to appreciate the guys who took the hard knocks when they were young and learned from them.  In listening to the Blank/McKay press release yesterday, I got the impression that as deeply involved as they were in the selection process of both the GM and the HC, they understood they needed to turn football operations over to these two.  They will be involved only to administer the organization and demand wins. 

Remember when Blank said we have to get explosive.  That thinking led to hiring Mr. Fast and Physical.  What did Blank say yesterday?  I want a GM and HC that will produce wins.  That is a substantial back step in level of detail.  And, it is the correct direction for Blank and McKay.

11 hours ago, matty72780 said:

That’s not how leadership works. You didn’t hire your boss wherever you work did you? 

I also lack the value of an NFL head coach.  The business dynamics of sports are very different.  HCs can make alot of calls we never could because they are less replaceable 

Yeah...I think there are multiple ways to skin a cat here.  I view the GM/HC relationship as more of a partnership versus reporting org structure.  For some GM’s...they’ve earned the right to pick their partner.  In other situations, it doesn’t necessarily have to be the case.

12 hours ago, opensource001 said:

I'm pretty sure Mckay said both the coach and GM will report directly to him.   If that is the case, then it wouldn't matter what order they were hired in.

And this is a reflection of the dysfunction, confusion and ambiguity of the Quinn/Dimitroff relationship.  There were all kinds of statements from the organization that purported to lay out exactly who had control of what, but they were never entirely true, and never entirely palatable to either party.  For good or bad, McKay will likely be steering this boat.

Most of this is COVID related, time crunch due to on going season, and an ability to rather quickly interview a bunch of folks without heavy travel.  Recordingbthe interviews is a nice way to have substantive data to make an educated and informed decision.

I wonder if they are asking coaches and GMs if they have a certain GM or Coach (respectively) that they want or prefer to work with..... or if they already have a GM in place in principle...

Most realistically they are telling the coaches the characteristics they want in a GM (and vice versa) and seeing how the coaches/GMs feel about it. 

13 hours ago, opensource001 said:

I'm pretty sure Mckay said both the coach and GM will report directly to him.   If that is the case, then it wouldn't matter what order they were hired in.

33 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

No way. 

It was in reference to opensource's quote about them reporting to McKay. Uggh

40 minutes ago, Joey563 said:

I wonder if they are asking coaches and GMs if they have a certain GM or Coach (respectively) that they want or prefer to work with..... or if they already have a GM in place in principle...

Most realistically they are telling the coaches the characteristics they want in a GM (and vice versa) and seeing how the coaches/GMs feel about it. 

In principle: Rick Smith.  Gut tells me this is true.  Unless someone comes in and freaking blows the doors off in the interview, it's Rick Smith.  Experience .  Admits to his mistakes and corrects them .  Respected and familiar with the Falcons brass .  We could do worse.

on the seattle seahawks:

"In January 2010, the Seahawks announced the hiring of Pete Carroll as head coach, and the Seahawks then hired Schneider one week later. Schneider works in collaboration with Carroll, who is also executive vice president of football operations, in overseeing the football side of the franchise. However, Carroll has the final say in football matters."

if that what it takes to get the top HC candidate then i'll take it.

It is more about opportunity than preference. I'm sure they would prefer to have a GM in place, but the opportunity to interview EB is now and other interested parties are doing so. If you pass on interviewing him during the bye week, it could be a month before you get another shot. If you want to get in on the first wave of EB interviews, it is literally now or never. 

3 hours ago, JOEinPHX said:

And this is a reflection of the dysfunction, confusion and ambiguity of the Quinn/Dimitroff relationship.  There were all kinds of statements from the organization that purported to lay out exactly who had control of what, but they were never entirely true, and never entirely palatable to either party.  For good or bad, McKay will likely be steering this boat.

Yep.  A clear chain of command is critical in organizations like this.  This isn't a start up company where everyone has to wear 5 hats to keep the ship afloat.

2 hours ago, celtiksage said:

It was in reference to opensource's quote about them reporting to McKay. Uggh

On a side note from what the local news is saying out here Elway is doing the exact same thing in Denver.  Not that this affects the Falcons in anyway, but now we'll have a larger pool to see what happens. 

4 hours ago, JOEinPHX said:

This is all too presumptuous for me.  Quinn and Dimitroff reported to McKay.  There was no ambiguity or confusion.  There was a question as to whether they actually partnered with one another or if they pulled in different directions.  We will never know.

Dan Quinn was the Head Coach.  He was responsible for player development, team strategies, game plans, and wins.  He was not very good at this.

Thomas Dimitroff was the General Manager.  He was responsible for the roster.  All things roster related.  He was good at skill positions and not very good with the grunt positions.

I would question how much effective collaboration existed between Dimitroff and Quinn.  I also questioned how much this happened between Dimotroff and Smith.  I guess this gets down to the fact that I do not trust Dimitroff.

McKay's role in this is to be the everyday guy who can deliver Blank's message.  That message in the past has been too detailed and too involved in team strategy.  The message has changed to a simple "get wins".  While Dimitroff and Quinn could defend their positions in the past by pointing to how they became more explosive, more fast and physical, it is difficult to hide behind anything when the message is "win".

McKay could have been an issue in the past as an influencer.  Now, the simple directive eliminates that.  If we get a GM and HC who will work together to make something of this talented team, good things will happen.  They will win or they will move on to another team.