1 hour ago, A-TowN.- said:

Let’s remember though, just because they are touted as the best candidates by the media doesn’t make it true. If we don’t get the “top guys”, we still have a chance to get our match. 

Frank Reich wasn’t the top choice for the Colts. Only after Josh McDaniels backed out did they go for Reich, and that has turned out well for them. Some of the best coaches come out of no where. Tomlin was the last of 6 or so interviews for the Pittsburgh job and that has been fantastic for them. 

I think it’s more important we take our time and evaluate these guys rather than rush into it or just go with the hot name. Quinn was the hot name at the time and he turned out horribly. 

You don't have to go to the colts to see this... yeah Quinn got us to the Superbowl... but remember who the OC was that was name a QB Killer and that he was just here because of his last name... yeah Shanny came from the browns and made us superbowl contenders and then went on to SF to go to another SB.. 

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let’s remember though, just because they are touted as the best candidates by the media doesn’t make it true. If we don’t get the “top guys”, we still have a chance to get our match.  Frank Reich w

Worse off than a lot of teams, sure. But I think our woes are exaggerated. The biggest hindrance is Julio and Matt's dead money. I've heard from folks I trust that the 175 mil cap protection is ridicu

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, PHALCONABERNATHY said:

So...basically no Fields. That’s disappointing.

You can get Fields... and draft heavy on D after that... remember the best way to help your defense is with a running game.. we have invested heavy on OL so we just need a RB... If we had a running game our record would be .500 if not higher...

1 hour ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Worse off than a lot of teams, sure. But I think our woes are exaggerated. The biggest hindrance is Julio and Matt's dead money. I've heard from folks I trust that the 175 mil cap protection is ridiculous and it'll probably be closer to 195 mil, if not higher because of the extra game they're adding in. And teams like the Eagles and Saints are at ~270 mil in 2021. It would be literally impossible for them to function at the projected cap.

Realistically, I think we make some cuts (Allen, Carpenter, and Bailey are 15 mil) and the cap is higher than we're saying now. Some money is moved around, maybe a surprise June 1st cut like Fowler, and the coach can bring in a few FAs or trade targets as a result.

Again. The situation is worse than other teams looking for GMs. But having a high pick and a lot of pieces in place still make it an attractive spot.

I don't disagree but if the expectation is playoffs year 1 I think the new regime will just be set up to fail. 

55 minutes ago, poutlipper said:

That's what I was thinking.  Same talk track as 3-4 accounts.

I'm certainly not cool enough to have an alternate account, way too old for that stuff.

Are you saying that multiple people actually have the same mindset after going 18-30 over the past 3 seasons.  Plus I'm pretty sure it's a he'll of a lot more 3 or 4 accounts that detest where this team is right now. 

1 hour ago, falcons007 said:

Like I said yesterday, AB had to decide a rebuild for few years with new QB, fix the Defense in further drafts and FA.  Or win now with using the picks on the real bigger issues on the team. I would be surprised he will go with a coach who wants to rebuild with a new QB and not be contender right away.

I wouldn't, I think he has reached his limit. Hence, whatever plan the new GM/HC has for Ryan and Julio; he will roll with it. I also go out the conference, was he is tired of seeing Vets under perform. 

14 minutes ago, PointSwayzee said:

I'm certainly not cool enough to have an alternate account, way too old for that stuff.

Are you saying that multiple people actually have the same mindset after going 18-30 over the past 3 seasons.  Plus I'm pretty sure it's a he'll of a lot more 3 or 4 accounts that detest where this team is right now. 

No we are saying someone who is too old for that stuff doesn’t have a photo from point break as their photo on a message board.

2 hours ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Oh, dear lord. "These guys gave effort!" "It was a challenging year, and they never gave up!" 

Raheem here we come! That's going to be there excuse to retain Raheem.

I want my kid's little league team to try hard and be good sports, even if they lose.

I want my NFL team to be an ef-ing dynasty.

2 minutes ago, coastiemike said:

No we are saying someone who is too old for that stuff doesn’t have a photo from point break as their photo on a message board.

**** near 50 chief. There is actually a long history among my friends with the name and photo. I got a chuckle out of using it, but guess I forgot to run it by you. 

2 hours ago, Monolith2001 said:

I personally think we may have a harder time getting the best candidates.   In 2015 I think we had the best job opening but for 2021, I think Jacksonville, Houston and LAC are the better stops purely looking at them from location, org, cap and players.   Plus there would be no McKay co-GMing (I don't have an issue with McKay, but as a candidate, I'm sure most would prefer not to have two masters however aligned they are).

I agree.

I am afraid the same people who thought Dirk Koetter was a good idea are picking our next coach and GM.

They seem to be leaning towards "train someone up" rather than "get a heavy hitter who's done it before." And the problem with that is, look who's doing the training. Rich and Arthur.

If Rich and Arthur knew how to do it, we'd already be cruising.

1 hour ago, Fernando C. said:

You can get Fields... and draft heavy on D after that... remember the best way to help your defense is with a running game.. we have invested heavy on OL so we just need a RB... If we had a running game our record would be .500 if not higher...

I just think he’s a generational talent. He’s another Deshaun Watson and if we don’t draft him it’s going to be h e double hockey sticks listening to how good he is with whatever team he goes to, knowing we could’ve had him. I hope they at least entertain drafting him. I like Sewell as well and he would most definitely be Jake Matthew’s replacement for the next 10 years. If there’s ever been an immediate plug and play guy it would be him. Both of those guys take so much pressure off other o linemen and the running game would be amazing picks.

3 minutes ago, DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins said:

I agree.

I am afraid the same people who thought Dirk Koetter was a good idea are picking our next coach and GM.

They seem to be leaning towards "train someone up" rather than "get a heavy hitter who's done it before." And the problem with that is, look who's doing the training. Rich and Arthur.

If Rich and Arthur knew how to do it, we'd already be cruising.

"Train someone up" is the death knell.  **** that, bring in the big guns.

1 minute ago, PHALCONABERNATHY said:

I just think he’s a generational talent. He’s another Deshaun Watson and if we don’t draft him it’s going to be h e double hockey sticks listening to how good he is with whatever team he goes to, knowing we could’ve had him. I hope they at least entertain drafting him. I like Sewell as well and he would most definitely be Jake Matthew’s replacement for the next 10 years. If there’s ever been an immediate plug and play guy it would be him. Both of those guys take so much pressure off other o linemen and the running game would be amazing picks.

If he's another Deshaun Watson then he's not a generational talent. Houston has the exact same record as us with that guy.

2 hours ago, GrimeyKidd said:

he never said with which pick. I find it interesting they mentioned they dont like being this high. With 25 spots to fill trading down might be the option

Yeah, but the fact they even stated an opinion makes it sound like they're meddling.

None of us wants to see Rich and Arthur run a draft anyway. We don't _care_ what they think. Get us a superstar GM and get out of the way.

2 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

This is the reply to read right here...and on the flip side, Quinn was THE hot coach when we hired him. We interviewed him and let all other candidates go elsewhere because we were zeroed in on the hot coach. How did that work out? It’s a marathon, not a sprint...do the proper due diligence and get it right this time! And leave Korn- Ferry out of this ****...we aren’t hiring a director of sales for a Fortune 500 company.

True. We hired DQ based on hope for future potential, not a proven past track record.

I guess it was worth a shot, but it didn't work out.

Honestly, I don't think McKay and Blank know how to make a better, deeper decision than that. I think they just take what seems like a reasonable shot.

Petrino, on paper, seemed like a reasonable shot to take.

There are people in the world who knew better. Who could've seen up front that DQ and Petrino wouldn't make it.

But McKay and Blank are not those people.

So we basically gamble every 4-5 years, and hopefully this is the time the blind squirrel gets the nut.

1 hour ago, Fernando C. said:

You don't have to go to the colts to see this... yeah Quinn got us to the Superbowl... but remember who the OC was that was name a QB Killer and that he was just here because of his last name... yeah Shanny came from the browns and made us superbowl contenders and then went on to SF to go to another SB.. 

Where his lack of situational awareness possibly coupled with a healthy dose of pride and ego cost him yet another Super Bowl victory. 

7 minutes ago, DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins said:

There are people in the world who knew better. Who could've seen up front that DQ and Petrino wouldn't make it.

I don't know. Everything is a gamble and the best you can do is do your due diligence and make a best guess. There's no telling how successful someone will be 4-5 years down the road with the 10,000's of factors that go into a football team. And there's a huge history of coaches coming back and doing well during a second stint. 

27 minutes ago, marvinthemartian said:

Where his lack of situational awareness possibly coupled with a healthy dose of pride and ego cost him yet another Super Bowl victory. 

Only, DQ couldn't make it there without him and could've simply done what the HC should do in the SB we lost: Take the reigns in CRITICAL situations.

It's more likely you'll see Shanny in another SB than DQ; at least as a big time OC/DC or HC...IMO.

6 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Only, DQ couldn't make it there without him and could've simply done what the HC should do in the SB we lost: Take the reigns in CRITICAL situations.

It's more likely you'll see Shanny in another SB than DQ; at least as a big time OC/DC or HC...IMO.

No doubt. But my only thing on that was Shanahan should have been overridden in Atlanta. In SF the calls that helped him lose the game came from him and he did not overrule himself.