Some PFF Stuff for the 2020 Season

Matt Ryan wound up as the #10 QB for 2020 with a PFF rating of 83.9.

We had no players on PFF's 1st or 2nd team All-Pro rankings. You can see who made the list here:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-all-pro-team-aaron-rodgers-davante-adams-aaron-donald-and-t-j-watt-highlight-pffs-all-pro-roster

We had one player make the All-Rookie team, but it's not the one you'd think.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-all-rookie-team-chargers-justin-herbert-qb-vikings-justin-jefferson-washington-chase-young

"LB Mykal Walker, Atlanta Falcons

If going purely off counting stats such as tackles, the all-rookie linebackers would be players like Kenneth Murray and Patrick Queen, who started for their respective defenses and piled up numbers. The PFF grades tell a different story, with Murray earning a PFF grade of 54.7 on the season and Queen coming in as one of the lowest-graded linebackers in the league at 29.8.

Walker is one of the players who shined in a more limited role. Across 371 defensive snaps this season, he earned a 74.7 overall grade that included a 90.7 grade in coverage. Walker allowed just 74 passing yards into his coverage on 152 coverage snaps all season. He may not have the same stats as several of the other rookie linebackers across the league, but his play warrants some recognition here."

The rookie corners on their list are L'Jarius Sneed (73.9) and Cameron Dantzler (70.9). AJ Terrell finished at 60.8 after slumping a bit during the last month.

The site has also posted a mock draft:

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-mock-draft-zach-wilson-new-york-jets-san-francisco-49ers-move-up-justin-fields

It goes:

1) Jacksonville -- Trevor Lawrence

2) Jets -- Zach Wilson

3) Dolphins -- Sewell

4) SF trading up to our spot -- Justin Fields

5) Bengals -- Ja'Marr Chase

6) Eagles -- Trey Lance

7) Detroit -- Kwity Paye

8. Carolina -- Micah Parsons

9) Denver -- Patrick Surtain

10) Dallas -- Caleb Farley

11) NY Giants -- Devonta Smith

12) Falcons (you riot in 3...2...1...) -- Kyle Pitts, TE - Florida

I would be extremely pleased with this scenario if one of those two corners were on the board at #12. I actually quite like Pitts, but I think we all know this team needs defense, defense, defense.

PFF doesn't suggest compensation, but a jump from #12 to #4 should cost SF something like #43, #108, and a second round pick in 2022.

That would give us picks at #12, #35, #43, #68, #99, and #108 this year plus three picks in the top 60 next year.

9 minutes ago, jidady said:

We had no players on PFF's 1st or 2nd team All-Pro rankings. You can see who made the list here:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-all-pro-team-aaron-rodgers-davante-adams-aaron-donald-and-t-j-watt-highlight-pffs-all-pro-roster

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-all-rookie-team-chargers-justin-herbert-qb-vikings-justin-jefferson-washington-chase-young

If going purely off counting stats such as tackles, the all-rookie linebackers would be players like Kenneth Murray and Patrick Queen, who started for their respective defenses and piled up numbers. The PFF grades tell a different story, with Murray earning a PFF grade of 54.7 on the season and Queen coming in as one of the lowest-graded linebackers in the league at 29.8.

Walker is one of the players who shined in a more limited role. Across 371 defensive snaps this season, he earned a 74.7 overall grade that included a 90.7 grade in coverage. Walker allowed just 74 passing yards into his coverage on 152 coverage snaps all season. He may not have the same stats as several of the other rookie linebackers across the league, but his play warrants some recognition here."

The rookie corners on their list are L'Jarius Sneed (73.9) and Cameron Dantzler (70.9). AJ Terrell finished at 60.8 after slumping a bit during the last month.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-mock-draft-zach-wilson-new-york-jets-san-francisco-49ers-move-up-justin-fields

It goes:

2) Jets -- Zach Wilson

3) Dolphins -- Sewell

6) Eagles -- Trey Lance

7) Detroit -- Kwity Paye

I would be extremely pleased with this scenario if one of those two corners were on the board at #12. I actually quite like Pitts, but I think we all know this team needs defense, defense, defense.

PFF doesn't suggest compensation, but a jump from #12 to #4 should cost SF something like #43, #108, and a second round pick in 2022.

That would give us picks at #12, #35, #43, #68, #99, and #108 this year plus three picks in the top 60 next year.

Great post.  Luckily, TD is gone and TE more than likely won't be our selection.  One can hope. 🤣

24 minutes ago, jidady said:

I don't know if Pitts would be my pick here, but I love the trade. If we're going to be rebuilding, having a bunch of picks would be of great benefit since the Ryan/Jones contracts will make acquiring free agents prohibitive.

59 minutes ago, jidady said:

It goes:

My God.  Not that I think this will happen but Justin Fields in Kyle's system.   Geez

Edited by mcwheesus
fixing the quote for easier browsing
50 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Great post.  Luckily, TD is gone and TE more than likely won't be our selection.  One can hope. 🤣

I mean, Hurst had an inconsistent year overall but showed he could at least replace the PRODUCTION of Hooper; despite not being as consistent or reaching his potential with Ryan yet. 2 more years of control.

No. We don’t need a TE. Draft the RB like people wanted last year in round 2. Load up on picks if we can but improve OL and Defense every other pick. Maybe a mid-round TE if Graham ain’t it as depth moving forward.

Their analysis has some weight but this hurried mock for us is just dumb.

1 hour ago, jidady said:

If that is what we received for passing on a potential franchise QB, this place will simply implode(present company included)

I would thoroughly vet Fields.  If he is a mature young man, I would draft him and sit him behind Ryan for a season. Next year, Ryan could fetch us two second rounders.

If Fields turns out to be another Jeff George, Newton, or even Vick, I make the trade and possibly try to trade back again.  There is bound to be a very good FS or RB prospect that fits us well.

1 hour ago, jidady said:

It goes:

2) Jets -- Zach Wilson

3) Dolphins -- Sewell

6) Eagles -- Trey Lance

7) Detroit -- Kwity Paye

If Fields or Wilson are at 4 we are probably taking them.  We sure as **** aren’t trading back and picking up a TE.

2 hours ago, PointSwayzee said:

If that is what we received for passing on a potential franchise QB, this place will simply implode(present company included)

which would be ridiculous since it's such a transparently smart move  for a franchise in our situation. I mean, people will gripe no matter what we do, but we're hard-locked to Ryan for two more years. Getting extra second-fourth round picks gives us cheap starters, which is what a cap-maxed team desperately needs.

3 hours ago, jidady said:

It goes:

2) Jets -- Zach Wilson

3) Dolphins -- Sewell

6) Eagles -- Trey Lance

7) Detroit -- Kwity Paye

Does this mean Dan Reeves is the new coach of the Falcon?  The TE is a head scratcher.  

20 minutes ago, jidady said:

which would be ridiculous since it's such a transparently smart move  for a franchise in our situation. I mean, people will gripe no matter what we do, but we're hard-locked to Ryan for two more years. Getting extra second-fourth round picks gives us cheap starters, which is what a cap-maxed team desperately needs.

Not saying that a trade back is the worst thing in the world. I'm saying you take "chart equivalent" compensation for a potential franchise QB, which the team trading with you obviously thinks, then we truly deserve what we get.

Edited by PointSwayzee
14 minutes ago, autigerfan said:

Does this mean Dan Reeves is the new coach of the Falcon?  The TE is a head scratcher.  

I think it's more about pick value, but the reality is that most mock drafts only match someone's top 100 board to who's picking.

I know from the draft simulator that PFF has Pitts at #9, which would make him good value at #12 for a team that needed weapons.

16 minutes ago, PointSwayzee said:

Not saying that a trade back is the worst thing in the world. I'm saying you take "chart equivalent" compensation for a potential franchise QB, which the team trading with you obviously thinks, then we truly deserve what we get.

Okay, I hear you. At #3, I think we had a better chance at an overpay. It's pretty rare for situations like Julio Jones and Ricky Williams where teams give up massive compensation for a guy who doesn't go in the top three.

44 minutes ago, jidady said:

I think it's more about pick value, but the reality is that most mock drafts only match someone's top 100 board to who's picking.

I know from the draft simulator that PFF has Pitts at #9, which would make him good value at #12 for a team that needed weapons.

No I get it.  I despise the idea of taking a TE in the firstbecause they rarely make an impact until year's 3+.