Well...we can’t say that tanking doesn’t happen in the NFL...

1 minute ago, Herr Doktor said:

Diamond Dallas Page, noted philosopher, once said that "Wrestling is not fake, predetermined, but not fake." Tanking is more than likely illegal.  However, playing the game in a way that is not the most advantageous to you could be seen as tanking by some folks.  Predetermining an outcome via manipulating lineups could happen, but not necessarily to tank.  Checking on alternate personnel is a viable reason.  And,could cause a less than positive outcome in the win column.  Not tanking, but not winning either.

I can agree with this. Very well put and well thought out. 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This poses a serious dilemma: On the one hand, Hurts is a strong armed mobile quarterback so he cannot possibly suck. He has to be good.  On the other hand, Hurts was selected in the second

I guess the Eagles hate the Giants more than washington. LoL

Despite this being an outlier in terms of the specifics of this situation; after last night, we can no longer say that tanking doesn’t happen. Taking a look at the dejected players and the overall fee

1 minute ago, hjerry said:

I always lol at the don't like it don't post comment, as if the poster isn't allowed to disagree

You made the thread, in which I never could have posted in, had you not, but supposedly I'm the one who wants attention...lol

Yet me telling you that you’re using logical fallacies means I’m being “intellectual superior”. Again double standards. 

1 hour ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

I think so too. For me tanking isn’t worth it because you will lose the locker room.

It’s one thing if you’re actively moving players around in season to find the right lineup. It’s a completely different animal to do it the very last game with the game in your hand, with little to no prior adjustments have been made.

It was blatant and he’s being called out for it. Now whether or not this is a common occurrence in the NFL debatable. However with this game specifically, it holds true.

Game in hand? They never had the lead in the second half, how is that game in hand?

1 hour ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

I saw a coach pull a QB, when they were down by 3 points, at the beginning of the 4th quarter. 

A QB that was 7 of 20 with a pick, no passing TDs and a QB rating of 25.  Man barely generated 100 yards of offense in 3 quarters, see no evidence that Hurts would have lead them to a victory had he stayed in.

If they confront Pederson with an accusation of tanking, all he has to say is Hurts was sucking up the joint [and he was] and he wanted to see if the other QB could do any better.

As much as many assume that it's tanking, may just be a bad decision.

2 minutes ago, Ghosts of Glanville said:

I can see both sides here.   Hurts was having a bad night, but I don’t even think Sudfield’s mom would think he would come in and do better.  

The most obvious answer is that Pederson is an idiot

Top part had me dying. Lol

Second part is debatable but would  be reasonable if only for the fact that I don’t think an idiot could beat Belichick on the SB. 

10 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Top part had me dying. Lol

Second part is debatable but would  be reasonable if only for the fact that I don’t think an idiot could beat Belichick on the SB. 

As has been stated numerous times, the SB win really wasn't because of Pederson

4 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Game in hand? They never had the lead in the second half, how is that game in hand?

A QB that was 7 of 20 with a pick, no passing TDs and a QB rating of 25.  Man barely generated 100 yards of offense in 3 quarters, see no evidence that Hurts would have lead them to a victory had he stayed in.

If they confront Pederson with an accusation of tanking, all he has to say is Hurts was sucking up the joint [and he was] and he wanted to see if the other QB could do any better.

Game in hand as in it was winnable and not like 52-10. I should have specified what I meant, that’s in me. Being down by 3 points is manageable and is winnable.

Fair point about Hurts, to coincide with that I do believe that there isn’t any evidence to suggest that Sudfield could do it either. If anything the probability of winning was higher with Hurts than Sudfield. @Herr Doktor put it extremely well in another post and I can agree with what he said.

To me, tanking is not only purposely throwing a game, but manipulating a situation to produce a certain outcome. 

15 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Nope.  Not buying it.  

Washington has a ferocious defense.  Even though he was 7-20 he had two rushing TDs and his team was only down by 3.  Lamar Jackson has been in similar situations early on in his career and he did not get benched.  

Carson Wentz had been stinking up the field the entire year and got benched after 12 games.  Why, in the last game of the season, would you not stick with Hurts when he’s been showing shades of promise?  You were only down 3.  You think a 3rd string QB coming cold off the bench is going to lead your team to a win?

Not only is that tanking, but it’s blatantly disrespectful to a guy that pretty much saved Pederson’s job.  

1 hour ago, KRUNKuno said:

Nope.  Not buying it.  

Washington has a ferocious defense.  Even though he was 7-20 he had two rushing TDs and his team was only down by 3.  Lamar Jackson has been in similar situations early on in his career and he did not get benched.  

Carson Wentz had been stinking up the field the entire year and got benched after 12 games.  Why, in the last game of the season, would you not stick with Hurts when he’s been showing shades of promise?  You were only down 3.  You think a 3rd string QB coming cold off the bench is going to lead your team to a win?

Not only is that tanking, but it’s blatantly disrespectful to a guy that pretty much saved Pederson’s job.  

Fair point as well. I highly doubt that Pederson believed that he had a better chance of winning with Sudfield than Hurts. Mainly because Hurts showed promise. If anything I would want to see how Hurts handled being down in the 4th and playing poorly. I would want to see if he could pull it together and finish the game. 

7 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

Diamond Dallas Page, noted philosopher, once said that "Wrestling is not fake, predetermined, but not fake." Tanking is more than likely illegal.  However, playing the game in a way that is not the most advantageous to you could be seen as tanking by some folks.  Predetermining an outcome via manipulating lineups could happen, but not necessarily to tank.  Checking on alternate personnel is a viable reason.  And,could cause a less than positive outcome in the win column.  Not tanking, but not winning either.

giphy.gif

This whole thing is so overblown and is only getting media attention because it's an NFC East team, kept the Giants out the playoffs, and was on primetime. If the Jags had done this, which they did bench Minshew for giraffe neck Glennon practically the same, no one would care. Players might be a bit salty about it, but they'll get over it before the combine even gets here, guys are millionaires they won't spend time upset about tanking for Jamar Chase when he's balling in the regular season.

21 hours ago, FalconinPA said:

It was so obvious that they were tanking. Glad the Falcons naturally tanked and we aren't getting blasted for it on National TV.

Yeah we have that natural tanking down!  We are suave when it comes to tanking.  Give us 27 seconds and we can tank like the pros.

LOL 🤣🏈👍

22 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Eagles weren't gonna win regardless.

Jalen Hurts was awful last night. They need a QB because all 3 on their roster suck.

True, the Eagles may not have won if Hurts played the whole game, but he gave them a better chance than the scrub they replaced him with.

It would have been funnier though if Dallas had beaten the Giants, and it was the Cowgirls fans losing their minds instead of the Giants fans. 🤣

5 hours ago, Falconcheff said:

If the Saints were ever relying on the Falcons to win the last game so THEY make the playoffs while we miss it AND drop 2-3 spots in the draft, I too would hope my HC would tank. Doug Pederson gets it.

Sounds like the Falcons for long stretches of time.  Our culture and commitment to winning has been less than stellar.

22 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Wentz wants out, he is expected to ask for a trade soon. It has been reported that he and Doug Pederson's relationship can't be fixed.

As for Hurts, he only completed 35% of his passes and had a passer rating of 25.4.

That's just pure garbage man.

A rookie, in a covid season with no preseason 😭😭 

It was a gimme for his friend Ron Rivera. Not a good look for the NFL on prime time TV but the NFL doesn't seem to mind how it looks anymore these days. People remember these things a long time. The Favre gimme to Strahan had very few consequences for anyone but it's still brought up when people talk about both of those guys. This had far more impact. How would you like it if the Falcons were in the Giants position and Carolina laid down and gave the playoff spot to New Orleans? 

I've always liked Rivera and I'm no fan of the Giants but competetive integrity should be protected. Doing what Pederson did when the game is clearly lost is one thing but fighting the whole game then when a victory is at hand you throw in the towel is insulting to everyone involved including me for staying up to watch that trash.

15 hours ago, TheHeartless said:

This whole thing is so overblown and is only getting media attention because it's an NFC East team, kept the Giants out the playoffs, and was on primetime. If the Jags had done this, which they did bench Minshew for giraffe neck Glennon practically the same, no one would care. Players might be a bit salty about it, but they'll get over it before the combine even gets here, guys are millionaires they won't spend time upset about tanking for Jamar Chase when he's balling in the regular season.

Yep.  Riding back to my mansion and getting ready for a month on the beach in Bora Bora would lesson my pain for sure!  🤣