Why Taking a QB at #4 Won’t...and Shouldn’t...Happen

7 minutes ago, ThemDarnFalconsBoy! said:

So you think we'll win a Super Bowl with Matt Ryan?

I think our chance of winning one in the next three years is higher with Ryan than a QB we could take this year.  After that you take a QB that gives you a better chance the following five years than Ryan, not hope you hit it in that 2 year window.

1 minute ago, Rings said:

I think our chance of winning one in the next three years is higher with Ryan than a QB we could take this year.  After that you take a QB that gives you a better chance the following five years than Ryan, not hope you hit it in that 2 year window.

I hope this is right, because his and Julios salary are stifling the team's chance to sign more depth, so we'll have to win with those two, Ridley, Foye, Jarrett, Jones, etc.

3 minutes ago, ThemDarnFalconsBoy! said:

Because of his and Julio's contracts. We can't sign much depth because of their contracts. We'll have to win on the strength of those two and a few others alone.

You build through the draft. Draft a good RB (Najee Harris is my choice) and draft good players on D. That, along with getting a good head coach, OC, and DC, and the odds of winning go up tremendously.

45 minutes ago, Rings said:

1) You draft a QB when your current QB is bad...ours isn’t.

2) You draft a QB when your QB is ending his career...ours isn’t.

3) You draft a QB so you can take advantage of the rookie wage scale and save a ton of money for five years and build around him...we are still paying Ryan so that isn’t a thing, and we have no money to surround that person with talent.

4) The flawed logic of “we won’t be drafting this high in a long time we we have to take our QB of the future”. This is wrong for two reasons.  QBs taken in the top five have been less successful then the rest of the fist round, and that includes trade ups so it isn’t always bad teams,  second, and most importantly, if we are going to be drafting later the next few years, that means we are winning...with Matt Ryan...so we don’t need a QB right now.

5) Our offense will look night and day better once DK is gone.  He made everyone on offense, including Ryan, look worse than they are.

6) We gave up 44 points today, had a fluke INT and they took a knee on our side of the field, and some think QB is the problem.

It blows my mind that Jets fans fight for Sam Darnold who has accomplished nothing and this fan base is so blind they want to flush Ryan down the toilet.  I am at the point where I almost want it to happen so I can call every person on here out when the grass isn’t greener and they realize Ryan is the best QB this franchise has ever had and for some reason people did nothing but **** on him his whole career, mainly because they have no clue what they are talking about.

To me it comes down to the evaluations.  If the new regime is in agreement that Fields or Wilson is a franchise QB, you draft him.  I mentioned it in another thread but it’s similar to the Saints heading into 2017.  They were picking 11th and tried to move up for Mahomes. Imagine if they were successful or drafted D. Watson over Lattimore.  Brees was still a Pro Bowl QB but their outlook would be much, much better right now.

If there is no agreement on a QB, trade out and stack top 100 picks.  This isn’t the year to draft a non-QB at #4

4 minutes ago, jetpac said:

Lol all this trading back, as if we are goi Nd to select a handful of impact players. Ask Cleveland how that went with the Julio trade. 

If our new GM/Coach are unable to translate 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th round picks into starters, we are in trouble.  Ideally you’ll draft 2-3 quality starters each draft

The draft is a gamble.  Trade back whenever possible in the 1st unless you need a QB.  It’s just a matter of improving your odds

25 minutes ago, ThemDarnFalconsBoy! said:

Because of his and Julio's contracts. We can't sign much depth because of their contracts. We'll have to win on the strength of those two and a few others alone.

Don't forget the importance of Julio being a WR coach for about half the season when he is a game-day scratch for some nagging injury. 

4 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

To me it comes down to the evaluations.  If the new regime is in agreement that Fields or Wilson is a franchise QB, you draft him.  I mentioned it in another thread but it’s similar to the Saints heading into 2017.  They were picking 11th and tried to move up for Mahomes. Imagine if they were successful or drafted D. Watson over Lattimore.  Brees was still a Pro Bowl QB but their outlook would be much, much better right now.

If there is no agreement on a QB, trade out and stack top 100 picks.  This isn’t the year to draft a non-QB at #4

I agree.  We should be looking further down the line.  Ryan is on his way out.  We are in a prime position to get his replacement now.  Zach Wilson reminds me of Steve Young or Russell Wilson.  I love his accuracy.  Just watch his game tapes, and tell me you are not entertained.

New GM and Coach's first duty should be to set up Ryan's final contract restructure. Sign him for the next six years with a decent signing bonus and a massive cut in overall pay.  Tell him, "this is it dude...  6 more years. COVID is killing the salary cap, and if you want to win, we gotta get your contract down. Do you want money, or do you want to win?"

16 minutes ago, Macintez said:

We could if we get a proper freakin run game!!! Jesus Christ why has none of our coaches figured this out yet???

Shanahan worked this out. I know your post was in response to the question can we win a super bowl in the next three years? Clearly yes with the right coach and a good draft like Dimi’s last good one (Neal, Debo, Hooper and Campbell)

The future starts now. Draft the BEST AVAILABLE PLAYER. If is Fields or Wilson so be it. The depth of this draft is the 2 and 3rd rounds. Gono makes Matthews expendable at T, or he could be our next LG if he ever hire a competent OL coach. Carpenter,Allen,Bailey,and maybe Davison #96 can be cut for cap relief. Hopefully we can ask Ryan and Julio to restructure if they want to remain here. If we can get an additional 2nd pick i would be happy. Fields/Wilson in the 1st, followed by a Najee Harris and Jevon Holland 2nd round would be dope. Make it happen new GM...make it happen.

You draft the best player available to you at your spot in the draft.  I don't understand how passing on a Justin Fields or Zach Wilson just because you have an MVP level QB helps the team get markedly better for the future.  No position in football is more valuable than the QB and you have a legitimate shot to have 2 great ones on your team at one time.  I mean, when was the last time we had a backup to Matt that could legitimately win us multiple games?  The better teams in the league consistently draft the best player available, look at Baltimore.  Not exactly the same situation, but they still had a Super Bowl winning QB and drafted his replacement in the first round.