How many more good years do you think Matt Ryan has left in him IF he gets a good offensive coach?

2-3 years, max. 

Doomsayers are wrong- Ryan is not the problem. But the homers are missing the larger point: Ryan is no longer the solution, either. 

If your QB needs a great OL, great RB, multiple great WRs, and a great Defense to win games, then you can't pay that QB $40 million/year and to be blunt, they aren't worth that kind of cap investment. 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

3-5 depending how much he keeps getting hit

He's not playing til his 40's, his play is already starting to decline 

Blame DK for “declining Matt” being 4th in league in passing yards? LOL. To answer your question....I know this is a little deep, but yes I do.

The game has evolved. That’s one of the reasons NE parted with Brady even though he is still every bit as good as Ryan hitting a short range target with both feet planted. 

1st. I’d point out that air yards and receptions immediately disqualify that the OL isn’t protecting our passer. That’s flawed logic. If Ryan doesn’t have time to pass he wouldn’t pass and he’d be forced to be mobile or take way more sacks.  Watch a Texans game for an example of an O line failing to protect. 

Now I’m NOT suggesting Ryan should suddenly be “mobile” in the modern sense. But I throw up in my mouth as a fan when it’s late in 4th quarter and 3rd and 1 and the WRs are covered and a field goal wins the game and the O line opens a hole for Ryan and he just won’t walk through it.  There is no excuse you can offer for simply refusing to win a game with that slide. See Chargers game.  As most of our games this year are single score W or L it really does fall on the singular leader of the team to make these snap decisions and go when the only choice is Go or Ditch the Ball. 

There, I didn’t say anything mean. 

Rise up! And beat the Bucs and prove to the city that you can. 

Ryan is done. Get him tf out of town. I don’t care of Parcells, John Madden or Belichick becomes the next coach. Matt Ryan does not need to be the starter of the Falcons anymore after today!

I’d say 3-5 productive year left borrowing an injury and you can Still will a Super Bowl with Ryan just not with the salary he is paid now and that’s why I think his time in Atlanta should be coming to an end in the next season or two Unless he’s winning to take a pay cut closer to 17-20 mil a year (which he won’t and can’t blame him) and why they should draft his replacement Now why they have a chance I’d go with tray lance Or Zach Wilson and lance is only 20 years old so he could easily sit a year or two and learn.

for comparison (and it can’t happen given Ryan’s contract) but if the falcons got rid of Ryan salary and drafted someone productive like Herbert and spend all that remaining money on a quality RB and maybe a OL and the rest on defense I think they would be a far better team now and in the future.

but at the same time it’s difficult to find a QB the caliber of Ryan so it could also send the falcons Into a rebuild they may not want if they can’t find that QB say like the bears.

1 minute ago, jj said:

Ryan is done. Get him tf out of town. I don’t care of Parcells, John Madden or Belichick becomes the next coach. Matt Ryan does not need to be the starter of the Falcons anymore after today!

How?  That's the issue.  It's not as simple as cutting him.  And, trading that salary is not impossible, just so improbable that ts hardly worth considering.  I get your sentiment, but, like it or not, MR2 starts next year.  And maybe for another after that.  No wonder kid coming in can realistically change that.  The financial and logistical issues surrounding MR are something only time will really fix.  

2 hours ago, blknoble357 said:

Are you guys really serious, **** Baltimore let Flacco go and he won a Superbowl granted they had a Defense, but those homers will say (Ryan never had that, which isn't true) our defensives werent lights out but they were good enough. We does Ryan continue to get a **** pass but I kinda know why.

Ryan doesn’t get a pass. Where in that sentence did I say that he is absolved of any wrongdoing this season? You’re creating a strawman argument for something I never stated.

I live in MD and the Flacco’s SB run was good but his WRs bailed him out a lot in the playoffs. That being said, statistically Flacco never held a candle to Ryan’s numbers. Ravens’ defense their SB year was average to above average at various points. Not to mention that Ryan NEVER threw more interceptions than TDs. Flacco did.

As far as our defenses (just looking at the defenses alone) we’ve never had a “great” or “good” defense. We had average at best, defense throughout Ryan’s tenure here.

All that being said, I have been an advocate for possibly drafting a QB in this draft. Every QB not named Lawrence will need some time to develop a bit more before starting. That typically takes a season or two. If he’s ready before then, cool. If he’s not, that’s cool too. 

I want a winning product as much as anybody else,  but holding on to Matt because of what he has been capable of in the past is not in the best interest of the team moving forward. If he stays for two more seasons and we work on the personnel with the next two drafts, we are likely to be 9-7 or 10-6 at best. He has been iron man all these years, but how much abuse can we expected him to take after all these years? We would be good enough to barely get into the playoffs....Not a championship. No new GM and HC combo will wait 2 years to see if Matt can become the 2016 version of himself while having 0 flexibility financially. It's highly unlikely. They are coming here to carve a successful lane for the future. We ultimately should have been Super Bowl Champs in 11, and 16, but we fumbled it away. Our best chance to get back will be to tear the band-aid off and push forward with new and improved coaching and leadership leaning towards competitive football by 2023 and beyond.

22 hours ago, FalconsGM said:

3-4 years can be 5-6 if he has a good offensive line and a system that allows him to throw the ball faster so avoid sacks but most importantly an elite running game to relieve him

Or ya know just close the games we have been winning...can we start just doing that at least? Thanks!

55 minutes ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

2-3 years, max. 

Doomsayers are wrong- Ryan is not the problem. But the homers are missing the larger point: Ryan is no longer the solution, either. 

If your QB needs a great OL, great RB, multiple great WRs, and a great Defense to win games, then you can't pay that QB $40 million/year and to be blunt, they aren't worth that kind of cap investment. 

This is incredibly stupid of a post wrt football IQ.

“he isn’t the problem ...BUT!! He hasn’t been the solution!!” Is a microcosm of inept fan “analysis”...

We had one of the most productive passing seasons in 2018 but couldn’t even get to .500 because of coaching, defense and no run game to protect that defense.

When the SOLUTION is fix the problem areas, how in the world do you expect a QB to do anything worthy of a SB on his own?

It doesn’t ever happen. Never has and never will. Want to at least make playoffs? Get a consistent defense and ability to run ball. Coaching. Good teams win. Not just good QBs alone.

Nah, keep chasing QBs. That’ll make a great team!

:lol:

3 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

This is incredibly stupid of a post wrt football IQ.

“he isn’t the problem ...BUT!! He hasn’t been the solution!!” Is a microcosm of inept fan “analysis”...

We had one of the most productive passing seasons in 2018 but couldn’t even get to .500 because of coaching, defense and no run game to protect that defense.

When the SOLUTION is fix the problem areas, how in the world do you expect a QB to do anything worthy of a SB on his own?

It doesn’t ever happen. Never has and never will. Want to at least make playoffs? Get a consistent defense and ability to run ball. Coaching. Good teams win. Not just good QBs alone.

Nah, keep chasing QBs. That’ll make a great team!

:lol:

Boom.  How many teams chase QBs until they get their man?  The Jets alone have drafted at least six in the first two rounds over the last decade.  Jacksonville is always looking for a QB.  

18 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Classic isn’t it who’d have thought the right system and coach and away goes Rodgers.Throw in defense and run game to boot and all of a sudden discount double cheque is money.

It can’t happen with Ryan though mate it’s not allowed because the navel grazers will never have thought of that never.

But they will take a QB high sit him for a year or so then flip the coin if he’s the guy or not.Couldn’t write about it.

Exactly.

Why couldn’t the team sustain success? It lost the chess player calling plays. It never sustained good defense. It also lost ability to run the ball.

This, plus exposing Quinn as a nobody HC if the OC is trash...defense is better NOW than ever in his tenure and it was after he left.

Coaching. System. Culture and a complete team.

3 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Boom.  How many teams chase QBs until they get their man?  The Jets alone have drafted at least six in the first two rounds over the last decade.  Jacksonville is always looking for a QB.  

It’s too painful to admit the Falcons have wasted the careers of Matt and Julio. It’s easier to believe they weren’t good enough and can’t be built around.

Julio is having some injuries now more than before. Matt has looked the same just production is bipolar under Dirk. No run game and no emphasis on YAC in this system, which at least Sark was still calling trying to use an actual WC principled system off of wide zone...

There are what like 5 QBs older than Matt for playoff teams just this year alone? Lol.

2 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Or ya know just close the games we have been winning...can we start just doing that at least? Thanks!

It's not because we finished the games wins that Matt will stay 10 years, I see no connection between your answer and the question but since you ask it I will answer you. Finishing a game is not only on the qb if your defense takes too much point it is the problem because when you run after the points you have no right to make mistakes and when in addition the system is not good that not help so it creates even more problem. If we want to win we have to have a **** of a defense which we do not currently have and in addition we need a running game to balance the offense. With a top 5-10 defense and an attack with a running game, the Falcons are Super Bowl contenders because we have a QB who is an MVP and a future HOF like Julio. So people need to understand that to win in the future you have to strengthen the draft defense and not draft a QB even if there are Elite this year, there will still be in the future when Matt decides to retire. This is how you win Super Bowls, but it takes change in coaching to win titles

• Matt Ryan has peaked and been exposed for his abilities. He gets happy feet when the pass rush is getting to him causing him to have tunnel vision then he starts missing open players down field and tends to throw interceptions a lot. He doesn’t know how to throw the ball away and gets sacked way too much.
7 hours ago, joeyg2033 said:

You mean Wentz?  Furthermore, don't even flatter yourself, or anybody else, with including Ryan in the same breath as Rodgers. 

Until being saddled with current OC and his outdated Air Cornell scheme, Ryan in WCO was the better QB for a stretch there....stupidest thing TD/Quinn ever did was bringing stale Koetter back here and take Ryan out of the scheme he was thriving in.

Don’t know if you can read, but they aren’t as far apart as you novice fans believe:

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/here-s-why-matt-ryan-must-be-on-the-mount-rushmore-of-current-nfl-quarterbacks

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

Until being saddled with current OC and his outdated Air Cornell scheme, Ryan in WCO was the better QB for a stretch there....stupidest thing TD/Quinn ever did was bringing stale Koetter back here and take Ryan out of the scheme he thrives in.

Don’t know if you can read, but they aren’t as far apart as you novice fans believe:

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/here-s-why-matt-ryan-must-be-on-the-mount-rushmore-of-current-nfl-quarterbacks

Does he have the numbers?  Sure.  I guess.  He's just not a champion in my eyes... and in the eyes of a lot....  I'm sorry to say, but as good as he played in the SB, he just couldn't rescue the team...his team... when he absolutely, positively had to.  The 28-3 debacle will forever be hung around his neck in perpetuity. Like it or not.

27 minutes ago, joeyg2033 said:

Does he have the numbers?  Sure.  I guess.  He's just not a champion in my eyes... and in the eyes of a lot....  I'm sorry to say, but as good as he played in the SB, he just couldn't rescue the team...his team... when he absolutely, positively had to.  The 28-3 debacle will forever be hung around his neck in perpetuity. Like it or not.

By ignorant posts like these rather than facts. :lol:

30 minutes ago, joeyg2033 said:

Does he have the numbers?  Sure.  I guess.  He's just not a champion in my eyes ... and in the eyes of a lot....  I'm sorry to say, but as good as he played in the SB, he just couldn't rescue the team...his team... when he absolutely, positively had to.  The 28-3 debacle will forever be hung around his neck in perpetuity. Like it or not.

1 hour ago, Ergo Proxy said:

By ignorant posts like these rather than facts. :lol:

Just not what you wanted to hear obviously. Sorry if I offended your sensetivities. Facts are facts. But if he's a HOF qb in your eyes, then all is good in your alternative universe.