How many more good years do you think Matt Ryan has left in him IF he gets a good offensive coach?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

3-5 depending how much he keeps getting hit

He's not playing til his 40's, his play is already starting to decline 

Blame DK for “declining Matt” being 4th in league in passing yards? LOL. To answer your question....I know this is a little deep, but yes I do.

39 minutes ago, caponine said:

Its been said numerous times, a new coaching staff coming in here will want "their" guy.

Getting the opportunity to pick this high and get your star qb of the future does not happen often for some teams. The new GM/HC will have absolutely no loyalty to Ryan. 

Been said by who? Honestly, a lot closer to the exact opposite has been said. 

Rich McKay:

“You got to have a vision on how those players are going to fit in the future and you got to be able to articulate why, and how they will get us to the place we want to be,” said McKay. “When you deal with players as good as Julio and Matt, and as good as they’ve been, their vision for those players does matter.”

aka, if you are going to move on from Matt, you better have a pretty d*** good plan. 

4 hours ago, Rings said:

See this is everyone’s logic...but if we are drafting later for the next few years...that means we are winning games with Matt Ryan...and therefor don’t need to replace him.  You see how this logic makes zero sense?

Aaron Rodgers having an mvp year making Green Bay look pretty dumb with Jordan Love.

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Aaron Rodgers having an mvp year making Green Bay look pretty dumb with Jordan Love.

i actually think it was a smart move by gb.

1 - it was a late round pick so there's no pressure to start him right away, 2 - lit a fire under rodgers' a$$, 3 - i think he's got some serious potential down the road to be a real stud.

Just now, JohnnyFranchise said:

1 - it was a late round pick so there's no pressure to start him right away, 2 - lit a fire under rodgers' a$$, 3 - i think he's got some serious potential down the road to be a real stud.

It also was Rodgers second year in a very complex scheme which gets QBs out of their comfort zone and is different than anything he ever did and he went from mediocre last year to MVP this year.  Almost sounds like Ryan in 15 and 16...in the exact same scheme.  I think it had very little to do with Love and everything to do with comfort in scheme.

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

Classic isn’t it who’d have thought the right system and coach and away goes Rodgers.Throw in defense and run game to boot and all of a sudden discount double cheque is money.

It can’t happen with Ryan though mate it’s not allowed because the navel grazers will never have thought of that never.

But they will take a QB high sit him for a year or so then flip the coin if he’s the guy or not.Couldn’t write about it.

1 hour ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

You think more of Love than I do Johnny. And you really think drafting him lit a fire under Rodgers? Or is he the mvp because of GB’s better offensive scheme? Hmmmm?

Rodgers (3 years older than Ryan) SB  window is closing....They should have gotten some help on that mediocre-to-bad defense , which will allow 400+ points this year. 

LBer Queen...several safeties (Winfield) upgrade their secondary... a DE/DT to upgrade their poor run defense  ....or even a WR2 (Higgins) ....but instead drafted a QB to rot on bench? 

9 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Classic isn’t it who’d have thought the right system and coach and away goes Rodgers.Throw in defense and run game to boot and all of a sudden discount double cheque is money.

It can’t happen with Ryan though mate it’s not allowed because the navel grazers will never have thought of that never.

But they will take a QB high sit him for a year or so then flip the coin if he’s the guy or not.Couldn’t write about it.

I think not addressing their other needs may come back to haunt them in playoffs, kiwi.

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

You think more of Love than I do Johnny. And you really think drafting him lit a fire under Rodgers? Or is he the mvp because of GB’s better offensive scheme? Hmmmm?

Rodgers (3 years older than Ryan) SB  window is closing....They should have gotten some help on that mediocre-to-bad defense , which will allow 400+ points this year. 

LBer Queen...several safeties (Winfield) upgrade their secondary... a DE/DT to upgrade their poor run defense  ....or even a WR2 (Higgins) but instead drafted a QB to rot on bench? 

i do think a lot of love, time will tell i suppose. just specualting about the lit fire, definitely a valid point about scheme and fit.

i posted an artice a while back about their reasoning for the pick. it was simply BPA, nothing else.

First, I hope with all my heart that Ryan wins a ring here. Seriously. Because as much as I ride on him I realize that no matter what he’s our guy most likely for a couple more seasons. So if he wins one we finally have one.  And that’s what we all want. 

That said, all the “light a fire” flap really lands flat when you come out of the worst historic collapse in sports and the fire isn’t already lit blue blazing.  So I just completely disagree that given his salary and contract weight and the best arsenal of receivers in the league a new HC or a new scheme or any new rookie players would inspire him More than 28-3.  Come prove to the world that you deserve to win.  Fight for that 3rd and 1 when Julio isn’t open. 
If you come out of that historic moment with a losing season X3 what lights a bigger fire than that?  

49 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

i do think a lot of love, time will tell i suppose. just specualting about the lit fire, definitely a valid point about scheme and fit.

i posted an artice a while back about their reasoning for the pick. it was simply BPA, nothing else.

And I can respect that. Fact is, you’re a very good poster who knows his stuff, so maybe I better go back and check Love out more thoroughly.

Would like to see the article you referenced too, if you can point me there.

13 minutes ago, Vandy said:

And I can respect that. Fact is, you’re a very good poster who knows his stuff, so maybe I better go back and check Love out more thoroughly.

Would like to see the article you referenced too, if you can point me there.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2020/04/27/packers-general-manager-jordan-love-aaron-rodgers-draft-selection-t

It's a neat read. Kind of gives a little insight as to how most NFL teams probably approach the draft.

9 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Matt Ryan will be 36 years old next year. However quarterbacks are playing into their 40's nowadays.

How many more good seasons do you think Matt Ryan has left in in the tank if he gets a good offensive minded head coach that can maximize his talents?

Maximizing his talents?? You mean the shovel pass?? 

8 hours ago, joeyg2033 said:

That scenario only works if your name is Brees, Rodgers or Roethlisberger. Ryan isn't the answer moving forward for this team.

Tbh, not sure if Ryan could've made any of those TD throws that Fields made last night. That's all you need to know at this point. 

If Ryan had been playing in that game, he might’ve put up triple digits. 

The question isn’t whether Ryan can throw passes versus pro defenses, because he has done it countless times. The question is, can Fields, or any college QB, complete passes against them. 

5 hours ago, PuppyMonster said:

Been said by who? Honestly, a lot closer to the exact opposite has been said. 

Rich McKay:

“You got to have a vision on how those players are going to fit in the future and you got to be able to articulate why, and how they will get us to the place we want to be,” said McKay. “When you deal with players as good as Julio and Matt, and as good as they’ve been, their vision for those players does matter.”

aka, if you are going to move on from Matt, you better have a pretty d*** good plan. 

This doesnt prove your point tbh , this actually sounds like the opposite. He doesnt know if Ryan or Jones will fit in.

Been said by multiple posters that the new gm/hc will want their guy. If they are sitting at 4 and zack wilson is available,  i dont see how they are gonna pass up that opportunity. 

I just dont see how a new FO would put Ryan as their guy for the next 5 years. If its a coach that likes to stretch the defense and do different kinds of things with the QB then Ryan maybe limited. Alot of peopld think Falcons want to choose an oc for Ryan, im not so sure about that tbh. I think Falcons want too choose an OC for their next guy. 

4 hours ago, Killing Floor said:

First, I hope with all my heart that Ryan wins a ring here. Seriously. Because as much as I ride on him I realize that no matter what he’s our guy most likely for a couple more seasons. So if he wins one we finally have one.  And that’s what we all want. 

That said, all the “light a fire” flap really lands flat when you come out of the worst historic collapse in sports and the fire isn’t already lit blue blazing.  So I just completely disagree that given his salary and contract weight and the best arsenal of receivers in the league a new HC or a new scheme or any new rookie players would inspire him More than 28-3.  Come prove to the world that you deserve to win.  Fight for that 3rd and 1 when Julio isn’t open. 
If you come out of that historic moment with a losing season X3 what lights a bigger fire than that?  

I know you don't mean it literally, but after 28-3, in 2017 the Falcons were a playoff team and upset the Rams in LA before losing to the eventual SB-winning Eagles. Then in 2018, Ryan's stats were almost as good as his MVP 2016 year.

Since 2017, the offense has lost an effective running game when Coleman left for SF and Freeman was just too beat up. RT Schraeder went from Pro Bowl to being released. On defense, what looked like a pair of good CBs for a long time in Alford and Trufant quickly went to crap. Jalen Collins went Cheech and Chong. Then in 2019 the D was decimated with injuries, Beasley's 2016 year was a fluke, Takk proved to be a flake.

Anyway, I think Ryan has at least 2 years left of very good play. Now there is something to be said for Ryan being the main final reminder of 28-3 and whatever stigma that still brings. But, with his cap hit next year, I just don't see a serious degradation in his play to replace him now.