What We Learned From Bowl Season

This will mostly pertain to players the Falcons may target:

1. Trey Sermon is making a run at RB5.  There really isn’t a huge difference between the 5 except Etienne and Hubbard have  game changing speed while Harris, Williams and Sermon will break tackles and get you tough yards.  Najee, Etienne & Williams are also receiving threats

2.  Justin Fields is now back at QB2 which is where he belongs

3.  Lawrence in a loss proved more to me than he had in most of his wins.  No run game, no pass blocking, no OC and he put up 400 yards.  We now know he can take a punch.  He is still QB1

4.  Prayers up for Dickerson. He was my guy to replace Mack.  IMO he was Bama’s best linemen all year

5. Ojulari in the 2nd or Ronnie Perkins in the  3rd will be steals at EDGE.  Mijay Sanders in the 3rd is also a good idea.  The EDGE class is very deep but lacks elite talent

6. There are no top 15 cornerbacks in this draft IMO.  I could argue UGA’s Campbell is every bit the prospect as Surtain or Farley. Shaun White is no longer a first day prospect

7.  There will be a stud WR available in the mid-rounds.  Guys like UNC’s Brown or FSU’s Terry have first round potential.  Love Terry’s combination of size/speed and hands.  

8.  The safety class is incredibly deep in rounds 2-4.  Not sure if one goes in the 1st round, but Holland, Moehrig, Washington, Ford, Sterns, Nasirildeen, Lecounte etc are all very, very good prospects

9.  Trey Lance will slide out of top 10 and someone will get a great player.  Could have a 3 year trajectory similar to Allen in Buffalo

10.  Zach Wilson and SF are on a collision course.  Hope they trade up with the Falcons to get him

38 minutes ago, red falcon said:

I may not watch much college football but i feel they are giving Lawrence excuses. Is my judgement wrong?

I agree fwiw. Can't turn on the golden boy, even when he has 3 fumbles and an INT in a half and looks totally flustered instead of meeting the moment.

46 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

6. There are no top 15 cornerbacks in this draft IMO.  I could argue UGA’s Campbell is every bit the prospect as Surtain or Farley. Shaun White is no longer a first day prospect

b6629e6485b85175990a568493a30022.jpg

Personally for me defense is an after thought in college football.

I’m seeing 60 70 nie on 100 point games from these top teams.

Talent is heavily loaded to the top schools the haves are about a handful and the rest it’s good luck.

For me mostly NFL teams are going to have a harder job scouting talent with the most of the can’t miss prospects all at certain schools.

Pass rush what is that no wonder it’s so hard to find.

42 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

1. Trey Sermon is making a run at RB5.  There really isn’t a huge difference between the 5 except Etienne and Hubbard have  game changing speed while Harris, Williams and Sermon will break tackles and get you tough yards.  Najee, Etienne & Williams are also receiving threats

3.  Lawrence in a loss proved more to me than he had in most of his wins.  No run game, no pass blocking, no OC and he put up 400 yards.  We now know he can take a punch.  He is still QB1

4.  Prayers up for Dickerson. He was my guy to replace Mack.  IMO he was Bama’s best linemen all year

5. Ojulari in the 2nd or Ronnie Perkins in the  3rd will be steals at EDGE.  Mijay Sanders in the 3rd is also a good idea.  The EDGE class is very deep but lacks elite talent

7.  There will be a stud WR available in the mid-rounds.  Guys like UNC’s Brown or FSU’s Terry have first round potential.  Love Terry’s combination of size/speed and hands.  

8.  The safety class is incredibly deep in rounds 2-4.  Not sure if one goes in the 1st round, but Holland, Moehrig, Washington, Ford, Sterns, Nasirildeen, Lecounte etc are all very, very good prospects

9.  Trey Lance will slide out of top 10 and someone will get a great player.  Could have a 3 year trajectory similar to Allen in Buffalo

10.  Zach Wilson and SF are on a collision course.  Hope they trade up with the Falcons to get him

***10. Zach Wilson and SF are on a collision course.  Hope they trade up with the Falcons to get him. ***

Uhh... Check that. Actually hope that the Falcons grab him as Fields played himself beyond our pick. 

1 hour ago, red falcon said:

I may not watch much college football but i feel they are giving Lawrence excuses. Is my judgement wrong?

I will say he didn’t have his best game, but he was getting pressured all night, and his defense couldn’t get a stop. He was shell shocked early on and never really recovered. 

2 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Like every thing you said...but why the hail would we pass on Wilson if Fields is gone? 

2 hours ago, red falcon said:

Idk...but I’d bet a **** load of money that Lawernce will be a top 5 no worse than top 10 QB within 3 yrs. Lawernce is one tough SOB who can make all the throws, stands tall 6’6 in the pocket, can extend plays when things break down, big hands, strong arm, poised....he’s got all the tools. Forget one game...his body of work has been exceptionally good over the years especially in big games. He’s the main reason Clemson won the NC in 2018. He’s been special.

It's college ball.  For me, colleges can really make anyone look great.  But their game is not a pro fit.  Akili Smith anyone?  Then there are great players from Nowhere Technical A&I who thrive in the pros, Dave Kreig?  What separates the best NFL teams is consistent and astute scouting.  Ours has been so so.  

25 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Boring bowl games are 100 percent more boring without fan attendance.  The Rose Bowl game in particular was a joke.  College football is about atmosphere.

The rose bowl not even played in the rose bowl? Come on that was lame.. Also both games were blow outs. These were supposed to be the four best teams.

7 minutes ago, Jesus said:

The rose bowl not even played in the rose bowl? Come on that was lame.. Also both games were blow outs. These were supposed to be the four best teams.

I started to explain  myself but reread this garbage and decided against it.

I want Surtain at 4 and I believe it’s the route the team is gonna go which I would be stoked

Campbell isn’t close imo and I’m a UGA guy. Farley isn’t on his level either. Surtain is unreal in his technique paired with his size/length and he’s got the perfect mentality in his willingness to occasionally bait QB’s for picks

3 hours ago, Dirtybird56 said:

I want Surtain at 4 and I believe it’s the route the team is gonna go which I would be stoked

Campbell isn’t close imo and I’m a UGA guy. Farley isn’t on his level either. Surtain is unreal in his technique paired with his size/length and he’s got the perfect mentality in his willingness to occasionally bait QB’s for picks

Stokes is way better than Campbell. He’s been such a disappointment and has looked so lost in coverage at times. He struggled to cover a TE yesterday. 

3 hours ago, Dirtybird56 said:

We won't be picking at 4.

6 hours ago, Jesus said:

california has banned crowds at sports venues, so they changed it. also that commercial about 'they earned it', being in the playoffs, was pure BS. I don't care ohio state won, they didn't earn the right to be there. they should have won, they played just over half the amount of games everyone else did, not near as much wear and tear. they didn't deserve to be there. 

After the Falcons game tomorrow, if the Browns don't make it (Chubb is from my lil town here, Cedartown) I'm done for the year. I don't give a red rats rear end about any team playing in any of the games from there on out....

3 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

I learned from our first round pick that making assumptions based on one college football game is utterly stupid.

Exactly. I’ve been high on Fields and Lawrence all season. One game doesn’t change that. I still put Lawrence 1 and Fields 2. Both are game changers. My only concern with Fields is durability which I expressed in another thread. He is a tough kid to come back from that hit but I worry if he can make it an entire season in the NFL.