January 2021 UGA Recruiting Thread

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s the most reasonable observation. Fields offered huge potential but was not outperforming Fromm as a freshman. It’s only controversial with some folks because they made their mind up that Fields s

yeah i don't get it.. Seems some guys will jump to the negative.. Maybe just maybe celebrate the fact that he loves UGA that much and may stay til he graduates..  I  hope he does for sure. 

Bear Alexander should commit to the Dawgs on Wednesday..

Not to throw a damper in the Kirby mismanaged Fields and didn’t play him enough argument but Bryce Young had less passing attempts, yards, and TDs than Justin Fields in his freshman year on an Alabama team that blew the doors off everyone they played. They also had a ton more offensive snaps and a ton more garbage time available to get him game reps.   

2 hours ago, richham said:

I think we are all over it. We were just discussing Kirby’s coaching. Let’s hope we see a different result this time. I don’t think it has to be like last time. There is room for a couple really good qb’s on every team.

I’ve said it before about Kirby’s coaching that situation... 99.9% of coaches do the exact same thing Kirby did. It’s only over analyzed because of the hype Fields had coming in. Kirby is always going to do what’s best to win in that game in that week and that’s how it should be. 

9 minutes ago, UAB_DAWG said:

Not to throw a damper in the Kirby mismanaged Fields and didn’t play him enough argument but Bryce Young had less passing attempts, yards, and TDs than Justin Fields in his freshman year on an Alabama team that blew the doors off everyone they played. They also had a ton more offensive snaps and a ton more garbage time available to get him game reps.   

Most coaches simply aren’t benching a starter for a freshman unless the starter is struggling significantly. In UGA’s case Fromm had his best season that year and had a bad LSU game but somehow Kirby was supposed to bench him for, at that time, a completely unknown commodity. 

10 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

Most coaches simply aren’t benching a starter for a freshman unless the starter is struggling significantly. In UGA’s case Fromm had his best season that year and had a bad LSU game but somehow Kirby was supposed to bench him for, at that time, a completely unknown commodity. 

Should’ve made a move at half of LSU, but is what is- 

1 minute ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

Should’ve made a move at half of LSU, but is what is- 

This makes no sense from a coaching standpoint.. your starter who’s having a great season and just lead you to a national championship game gets pulled for a bad start? I could understand if that was a championship game but it was a essentially a meaningless game

55 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

This makes no sense from a coaching standpoint.. your starter who’s having a great season and just lead you to a national championship game gets pulled for a bad start? I could understand if that was a championship game but it was a essentially a meaningless game

I always appreciate your responses and evaluations..... but only in an alternate universe would I ever call playing Florida a meaningless game. I hate Florida.

7 hours ago, Wardog357 said:

I always appreciate your responses and evaluations..... but only in an alternate universe would I ever call playing Florida a meaningless game. I hate Florida.

Thanks lol but that was talking about the LSU game 

6 hours ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

Fromm was awful in that first half? I didn’t mean the whole season but he stuck was off that game and fields should’ve got a shot- no game is meaningless - I’m not a fields advocate but u change things that are not working 

When you have a starter and he IS your starter you stick with him unless there’s multiple game situation, example Stetson this year. The only way to look at this situation is to take the names out of it and when you do that when you understand Kirby’s decision better. The reason I said it was a meaningless is it didn’t effect our chances at either the SEC championship or making the playoffs. Yes, it was a game we wanted but not a game we necessarily needed 

Edited by Bdawg58
12 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

When you have a starter and he IS your starter you stick with him unless there’s multiple game situation, example Stetson this year. The only way to look at this situation is to take the names out of it and when you do that when you understand Kirby’s decision better. The reason I said it was a meaningless is it didn’t effect our chances at either the SEC championship or making the playoffs. Yes, it was a game we wanted but not a game we necessarily needed 

I disagree. As bad as he was that half - making a switch as a coach would’ve been the right thing. Not just about the starter - there’s the whole team fans and his job is to do what he needs do to win, that’s just a part of halftime adjustments. If a receiver drops 4 passes in a half or a rb fumbles 4 times in a half they would make a change- defense not working they change it- hc job best for team. And when your title or bust every year every game has to be that mentality 

6 minutes ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

I disagree. As bad as he was that half - making a switch as a coach would’ve been the right thing. Not just about the starter - there’s the whole team fans and his job is to do what he needs do to win, that’s just a part of halftime adjustments. If a receiver drops 4 passes in a half or a rb fumbles 4 times in a half they would make a change- defense not working they change it- hc job best for team. And when your title or bust every year every game has to be that mentality 

Kirby benches Fromm in the 2nd half you can’t go back. QB position wasn’t the only problem that game, there were multiple problems in offense. Sometime the best thing you can do is to let players work through a bad game. Seriously, take the names out and the decision is easy you stay with your 2 year starter who took you to a championship game

1 hour ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

Idk Maybe your right, I would’ve loved to seen if it made a difference 

Me too honestly. I saw multiple times where Fromm just looked off. He was great his freshman year but just started sliding after that. By his senior year.... well we all know how that went. 

41 minutes ago, Wardog357 said:

Me too honestly. I saw multiple times where Fromm just looked off. He was great his freshman year but just started sliding after that. By his senior year.... well we all know how that went. 

Just remember, Fromm’s best year statically was his sophomore year. Junior year was just bad all around him, the WRs, OL and last but not least the OC. I do believe Fromm would’ve had an unbelievable year this past season if he had stayed but he didn’t obviously 

I still think Fields would have won the job as a sophomore at UGA. He’s going to be drafted very high but he will need time to develop in the NFL too. I wouldn’t mind at all if he sits behind Matt Ryan for a couple years and then becomes the face of the franchise, similar to how Aaron Rodgers developed and then blew up when Favre left. Zach Wilson is about the only player at the top I want nothing to do with.

Anyway

I think our QB situation is pretty good for a while. Daniels will ball out next season and Brock will focus on learning the offense and competing at this level. Beck will be QB2 in 2021. If Beck sticks around I think he and Brock will have a serious competition in 2022. Gunner isn’t even a big part of the conversation until 2023 imo and most likely won’t play until 2024 as a junior or RS soph. That’s the ideal situation you want at QB anyway for a consistent championship contender. 

23 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

I’m explaining the misconception about Kirby’s mishandling of QBs.. I feel he gets a bad rap for something that 99.9% of coaches would’ve done the same way or handled it similarly 

It’s the most reasonable observation. Fields offered huge potential but was not outperforming Fromm as a freshman. It’s only controversial with some folks because they made their mind up that Fields should have been the starter before he even played a snap in college. Meanwhile the reality is Fields wasn’t ready to run the offense as a freshman. You risk alienating every other QB on the roster and who knows how much of the team if you just start handing out starter positions based on press clippings. We’re not talking about a 1st round draft pick in 2018, we’re talking about a dude who was fresh out of high school.

Tim Tebow sat behind Chris Leak. Deshaun Watson sat behind Cole Stoudt. Tua sat behind Hurts, Mac Jones sat behind Tua, Bryce is waiting. It’s a purely emotional response to blame Kirby as “mismanaging” Justin Fields because he up and left. He didn’t. Fields mishandled the situation at UGA himself. If Kirby could go back and change anything about that situation he probably would go back and sign Matt Corral instead.