Jump to content

2021 In Memoriam Thread


Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, DirtybyrdGA said:

Sad evening for me..

 

Yes! Very sad. 

 

Once again, as a huge Beastie Boys fan, this one stings.

Biz was great friends with the Beasties and heard on a lot of their later work.

 

RIP Biz Markie!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

 

 

Beastie Boys’ Mike D on Biz Markie: ‘Not Just a Rapper, But a True Entertainer’

“Once, he was doing a DJ set opening up for us, and the power suddenly cut out,” D remembers of the “Just a Friend” rapper, who died Friday. “He didn’t miss a beat, human beatboxing and singing”

Beastie Boys and Biz Markie were both New York hip-hop pioneers, so it’s natural they spent a lot of time together. The two artists often shared a stage, including a 1988 Madison Square Garden show where Biz performed an inimitable version of Elton John’s “Bennie and The Jets.” (The song later ended up on the Beasties’ Sounds of Science anthology.) As Rob Sheffield notes in his tribute to the rapper, who died Friday night at age 57, “Biz even gave them the name for their label and magazine: Grand Royal.” “I did not expect the Biz to be as Biz-like as he was,” Adam Horowitz admits in the Beastie Boys Book. “You better have the tape running when the Biz is around. He’s an all-freestyle, off-the-dome kind of artist.”

 

Following Biz’s death, Mike D of the Beasties paid tribute to his longtime friend.

We are so grateful to have had so many unforgettable experiences with the truly unique and ridiculously talented Biz Markie. We will miss his presence deeply in so many ways. In the Nineties, Biz would often show up at our G Son studio in Atwater, CA. Naturally every visit would start with a trip to the candy store — which in this case was actually a liquor store across the street. Regardless, he would always return happy with a brown paper bag full of treats. Once he had his sugar fix, he would typically grab a mic and sing whatever song he wanted, looking at us as if we’d know exactly what to play — and somehow he was usually right. 

I’ll never forget the time he showed up with a stack of 45s to make a mixtape to listen to on his flight back to New York. Did this mix tape include famous break beats like The Honey Drippers’ “Impeach the President” or Rufus Thomas “Funky Penguin” or any of the other classics that you might associate with Biz and his amazing human beatbox skills? Nope. He smiled ear to ear as he put on Helen Reddy‘s “I Am Woman” and sang along at top volume with his headphones on — so excited that he’d soon be able to do this all over again on his flight!

Biz was a completely unique musician. No one else could beatbox — making beats and grooves and sounds the way he did — when he came out. He didn’t play by the rules or observe any categories. If he loved something, he would play it or sample it or rap over it — or just DJ the song and have the audience sing along. He was all inclusive the way hip-hop can be at its best moments.

It’s also important to note that the Biz was not just a rapper or a record-maker, but a true entertainer. He could get on and rock a crowd whatever the circumstance — from his legendary early appearances at the Latin Quarter in New York City to the Tibetan Freedom Concert in San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park. Once he was doing a DJ set opening up for us — just him, records, a mic and the audience singing along — and the power suddenly cut out. He didn’t miss a beat, human beatboxing and singing a cappella without amplification. He could not be stopped. Biz, we love you and we miss you and we are so grateful for everything we got to do together and make in the time we had.  Much love always…

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/beastie-boys-mike-d-remembers-biz-markie-1198633/

 

Edited by Since1990
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Since1990 said:

 

 

Beastie Boys’ Mike D on Biz Markie: ‘Not Just a Rapper, But a True Entertainer’

“Once, he was doing a DJ set opening up for us, and the power suddenly cut out,” D remembers of the “Just a Friend” rapper, who died Friday. “He didn’t miss a beat, human beatboxing and singing”

Beastie Boys and Biz Markie were both New York hip-hop pioneers, so it’s natural they spent a lot of time together. The two artists often shared a stage, including a 1988 Madison Square Garden show where Biz performed an inimitable version of Elton John’s “Bennie and The Jets.” (The song later ended up on the Beasties’ Sounds of Science anthology.) As Rob Sheffield notes in his tribute to the rapper, who died Friday night at age 57, “Biz even gave them the name for their label and magazine: Grand Royal.” “I did not expect the Biz to be as Biz-like as he was,” Adam Horowitz admits in the Beastie Boys Book. “You better have the tape running when the Biz is around. He’s an all-freestyle, off-the-dome kind of artist.”

 

Following Biz’s death, Mike D of the Beasties paid tribute to his longtime friend.

We are so grateful to have had so many unforgettable experiences with the truly unique and ridiculously talented Biz Markie. We will miss his presence deeply in so many ways. In the Nineties, Biz would often show up at our G Son studio in Atwater, CA. Naturally every visit would start with a trip to the candy store — which in this case was actually a liquor store across the street. Regardless, he would always return happy with a brown paper bag full of treats. Once he had his sugar fix, he would typically grab a mic and sing whatever song he wanted, looking at us as if we’d know exactly what to play — and somehow he was usually right. 

I’ll never forget the time he showed up with a stack of 45s to make a mixtape to listen to on his flight back to New York. Did this mix tape include famous break beats like The Honey Drippers’ “Impeach the President” or Rufus Thomas “Funky Penguin” or any of the other classics that you might associate with Biz and his amazing human beatbox skills? Nope. He smiled ear to ear as he put on Helen Reddy‘s “I Am Woman” and sang along at top volume with his headphones on — so excited that he’d soon be able to do this all over again on his flight!

Biz was a completely unique musician. No one else could beatbox — making beats and grooves and sounds the way he did — when he came out. He didn’t play by the rules or observe any categories. If he loved something, he would play it or sample it or rap over it — or just DJ the song and have the audience sing along. He was all inclusive the way hip-hop can be at its best moments.

It’s also important to note that the Biz was not just a rapper or a record-maker, but a true entertainer. He could get on and rock a crowd whatever the circumstance — from his legendary early appearances at the Latin Quarter in New York City to the Tibetan Freedom Concert in San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park. Once he was doing a DJ set opening up for us — just him, records, a mic and the audience singing along — and the power suddenly cut out. He didn’t miss a beat, human beatboxing and singing a cappella without amplification. He could not be stopped. Biz, we love you and we miss you and we are so grateful for everything we got to do together and make in the time we had.  Much love always…

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/beastie-boys-mike-d-remembers-biz-markie-1198633/

 

For some reason I thought he passed last week or 2 weeks ago. I was shocked to wake up to this today

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a Friend is a Hip Hop anthem. It's fun, the hook is timeless and catchy and you don't have to be great singer to sing along. As a matter of fact, the worst singer you are, the better. 

Rest in Peace, Biz. You'll never be forgotten.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Statick said:

Just a Friend is a Hip Hop anthem. It's fun, the hook is timeless and catchy and you don't have to be great singer to sing along. As a matter of fact, the worst singer you are, the better. 

Rest in Peace, Biz. You'll never be forgotten.

 

I heard on the Steve Harvey radio show this morning that he eventually started to hate playing or performing that song over the years because that was what many wanted to hear.

 

He wanted people to know that he was more than just that song. He was also an incredible DJ and human beatboxing skills were top notch.

 

Just A Friend was both a gift and a curse for him even though he appreciated that it was a classic hit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Just A Friend was both a gift and a curse for him even though he appreciated that it was a classic hit.

Not surprising. That happens to a lot of artists that have a hit like that. Even still, as a musician, having to play the same song every night for years makes it old too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/19/2021 at 8:20 PM, DonOfThemBirds said:

 

I heard on the Steve Harvey radio show this morning that he eventually started to hate playing or performing that song over the years because that was what many wanted to hear.

 

He wanted people to know that he was more than just that song. He was also an incredible DJ and human beatboxing skills were top notch.

 

Just A Friend was both a gift and a curse for him even though he appreciated that it was a classic hit.

And I agree with him on that. He had so many others songs, plus his collaborations with other artists with him always shining through as the guest MC are always memorable.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...